Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 1.05 Firmware Release

I would imagine coding is similar to guitar playing. When you learn something new at times it just flows and at other times it takes some refinement. but whatever the case, thanks Cliff!!! you're awesome!
No, it's not like that, IMHO. ;) You do get in a flow when programming but any non-trivial code has bugs; most of the time I can get in the 'flow' and write hundreds of lines but the end result will almost never compile on the first go. Bugs are not really super analogous to music... I guess the closest analogy you could make would be imagining a recording that has a playing mistake in it. Once in a blue moon the mistake makes the song better or is at least tolerable, the vast majority of the time it ruins the track, other times it makes the listener's CD player explode. It almost always needs to be punched in and recorded over though even if the track has already been released.

Cliff and FAS are the model for what all companies should be.

I completely agree. Unfortunate;y, that would mean the majority of companies today would have to change their business model and focus on producing a quality product as opposed to maxing out their profit margin by using planned obselesence in the design phase. **off soapbox**

Anyway, back to v1.05. Thanks FAS!

Just ran 1.05 with my Herbie 3 and its the same results as 1.04 to me. Not liking it. My Engl sound didn't seem to change as much as the Herbie 3 and I haven't tried my other amps because my high gain amps come first to me. Back to 1.03 for me because its got some special mojo I can't get on the others. Different strokes, can't make everyone happy and all that, but 1.03 makes me very happy. I'm there.

P.S. Ok, I think what I find with 1.03 is that I barely have to move my pick its so responsive and easy to play. Like I said in another post it practically plays itself. It has that punch and saturation that really chunks for me and everything seems really balanced tone wise....

P.S.S. Maybe its the Herbie that has changed or maybe just me.

Last edited:
P.S. Ok, I think what I find with 1.03 is that I barely have to move my pick its so responsive and easy to play. Like I said in another post it practically plays itself. It has that punch and saturation that really chunks for me and everything seems really balanced tone wise....

Excellent description. That's exactly what I find with the AC30 model in v1.03.

Thanks for all these updates!

Just a quick one - updated to 1.05 just now, followed the procedure to the tee. Turned off waited 5 secs etc etc. In the Global menu it says I'm running 1.04, and when I toggle back and forth it only lets me go between 1.04 and 1.0 - no 1.02 or 03 or anything.

I turned it off and on again...again...and its doing the same. Fractal Bot says its on 1.05 though. Is this just normal? Just wanted to check!

I think 1.05 is a nice balance between 1.03 and 1.04.

Try this with any of the fender factory presets:

In amp block on dynamic eq page set type to dynamic instead of peaking, then in cab block set de phase to 2.

I always thought the fender cleans were the toughest to reproduce but they sound great in this fw.. Awesome Stuff

Thanks for all these updates!

Just a quick one - updated to 1.05 just now, followed the procedure to the tee. Turned off waited 5 secs etc etc. In the Global menu it says I'm running 1.04, and when I toggle back and forth it only lets me go between 1.04 and 1.0 - no 1.02 or 03 or anything.

I turned it off and on again...again...and its doing the same. Fractal Bot says its on 1.05 though. Is this just normal? Just wanted to check!
That is the Amp Modeling version.

The firmware version is in the Utility menu.

Excellent description. That's exactly what I find with the AC30 model in v1.03.

The AC-30 model in 1.05 is exactly the same as 1.03. The Herbie model changed and that's probably what he is noticing. If you change Preamp Hardness to 9.5 the AC-30 model will be EXACTLY (again EXACTLY) the same as 1.03. The default value of 9.2 in 1.05 is so close to 9.5 as to be inconsequential. If you are hearing a difference it is placebo.

Just ran 1.05 with my Herbie 3 and its the same results as 1.04 to me. Not liking it. My Engl sound didn't seem to change as much as the Herbie 3 and I haven't tried my other amps because my high gain amps come first to me. Back to 1.03 for me because its got some special mojo I can't get on the others. Different strokes, can't make everyone happy and all that, but 1.03 makes me very happy. I'm there.

P.S.S. Maybe its the Herbie that has changed or maybe just me.

The Herbie model changed as there was an error in the Cathode Follower values. I think the gain may be slightly less too. The new Herbie model is more accurate but that doesn't mean it will sound better to you. Personally I like the new model better as the old model had too much compression which caused this weird scratchiness when rolling off the volume.

Wheyy always love a new update!

Been holding off since 1.03 (the other day :p ) while finishing off some recordings, now thats done, 1.05 it is!

Thanks again FAS! You makey me so happy

I always think threads like this would be a field day for a university psych class lol.

On one hand you'll have the programmer (who by all accounts knows exactly what is and isn't different) stating that it's exactly the same. On the other hand you've got experienced users saying it doesn't sound the same, and with no reason to report anything other than what their ears tell them.

No reason to doubt either party, but also makes it tough to know who to believe.

If Cliff Says the AC30 is exactly the same, is he not the end all authority on the matter ?

At the same time, isn't what our ears tell us the one real metric that matters most ?

Can our senses be fooled though ? Is the placebo and nocebo effect real ? Does herd mentality factor into things ?

So I guess the question isn't if a tree falls in a forest........ It's is the 1.05 ac30 model the same as it sounded in 1.03 or not lol

I think the problem when it comes to updates like these, people myself included read new measurements leading to new algorithm.

And when you want to revert back its usually something as simple as the triode hardness.
Then you start thinking, why the update, why not just tell everyone turn this or that for the latest and greatest. That's where the confusion comes from. There has to be more to it then that for an update, no?

Anyway, I was happy with Q1.03, and I'm really happy with 1.04. Thanks again Cliff!!

Can't wait to download and check it out for myself! The commitment Cliff and his crew have for this product and the never ending pursuit of great tone blows me away.

Back
Top Bottom