Axe-Fx II (non) Sighting

We helped Coheed recently transition their rigs from Ultras to II's.

Last time they were in Boston at the House of Blues we met up with Claudio, Travis, and their tech Kevin. They were still touring their Ultras at that time so we brought a II for them to demo. Kevin is extremely technical and we had a great time geeking out.

Last edited:
and it sounds pretty artificial (as expected and as it should going up that high). The Axe Whammy is as good or better.

Yeah, I was sort of puzzled awhile ago about someone complaining that their tone was thin when they used the Whammy.

TAKE A RECORDING OF A LONG ISLAND TUB BOAT FOG HORN. Now, put it up 17 octaves. Doesn't sound as full...hmmm......?

Take Steve Perry's lead vocals. Lower it by 4 octaves. Doesn't quite soar like an eagle anymore? Hmm......

I guess the lesson we've all just learned is, when you alter the normal operating range of any sound on planet earth with an electronic device, it may loose the fullness and body that you might otherwise normally associate with that sound, when you hear it in its natural range and environment.

Glad I could help.

I saw Coheed last year. There was absolutely nothing on stage other than a pair of MFCs and a couple mission engineering pedals. Not sure what kind of setup they were using but Claudio had the best guitar live guitar tone I have ever heard. It was huge without sounding muddy, and cutting without sounding brittle, fuzzy or overly bright. All in all it was a strange experience because Coheed isn't really a band you expect exceptionally good tone from. I mean I've seen them twice previously and their tones were absolutely nothing to write home about.

Axe-Fx sightings on video from the Guitar Center session with Switchfoot.

In this session there are 2 Axe-Fx. One behind the bassist (@ 1:47) and the other behind the lead singer (@ :14).
It's lit dark but you can't mistake the green glow on the black boxes we all love.

I wonder why Guitar Center allowed the Axe-Fx units to be visible if they have an issue with products they do not sell.
Thought is was pretty cool that the Axe-Fx units were there in the session.

I don't think C&C ever have their Axe-FX racks on display when they play live. At least they didn't when I saw them recently. So it might not have had anything to do with Guitar Center asking them not to display gear they don't sell.

I think a lot of bands like to take advantage of the "clean" stage look option that they can achieve with a direct to FOH method. C&C had lots of other stage props instead.

Love C&C. Probably my favorite band. There is a rig rundown on Premier guitar showing that they use ultras becuase they havent gotten a chance to get 2's. I know they used to use Uberschalls, orange's and some twin reverbs all on tour and now just carry mesa cabs and a ultra with a gt1000 for the cabs, direct for FOH.

Their live show is incredibly clean sounding.

In this session there are 2 Axe-Fx. One behind the bassist (@ 1:47) and the other behind the lead singer (@ :14).
It's lit dark but you can't mistake the green glow on the black boxes we all love.

I wonder why Guitar Center allowed the Axe-Fx units to be visible if they have an issue with products they do not sell.

Maybe they think it does not sounds so good anyway?

;)

Our singer is a big fan of Switchfoot. I don't know much of them, even though they've been around in/aside of the Christian music scene for a long time when I was into that. Never warmed up to them. I think I've seen them live some time. This song I don't care much for and I don't like fuzzed out tones... To each their own.

Last edited:
*raises hand*

Huge C&C fan here too :) Haven't had the chance to catch them live yet tho. Not that I ever catch anything live, nothing ever happens in my corner of the world. Well, apart from the Salvation Army singing xmas carols in December :D

Maybe they think it does not sounds so good anyway?

;)

Our singer is a big fan of Switchfoot. I don't know much of them, even though they've been around in/aside of the Christian music scene for a long time when I was into that. Never warmed up to them. I think I've seen them live some time. This song I don't care much for and I don't like fuzzed out tones... To each their own.
Switchfoot used to be heavy into handmade pedals and analog gear so I was surprised when I saw they were using Axe-fx's. Doesn't seem like their style.

Listen to their album "Nothing is Sound." Their other stuff is decent but that album is consistently very good from song to song.

This was the second time I've seen Switchfoot using the Axe, both times not even mounted in a box. Somebody get Jon a 2U rack case, for cryin' out loud! :lol

Not sure if the intro shot is their rig or not but I sure as heck see what appears to be two Axe-fx Green Screens! :)

GC_Sessions.jpg

Back
Top Bottom