Axe-FX II "Microphoning"

How far down would you suggest backing down?

I play experimental hard rock, (think Chevelle meets Muse, sort of) but I tend to run my gain pretty stupid high because I'm also the only guitarist, so I play a bit of lead, and a lot of rhythm, so the tone has to be both versatile, and cover a lot tonal space. When I'm programming for a song that needs gain, I typically windup between 5 - 6, sometimes 7 if the song needs it, but usually any higher than that and the compression begins to fight my efforts. I have a few songs I run an 8 on a solo, with a disgustingly evil fuzz, but when I do I have to stick to single notes, or it squishes the tone.

However, it really depends on the amp. Some amps have more "headroom" so they an take more preamp gain before they start to squash the overall gain, and some amps default the gain stage in places that cause the gain to compress faster. There are so many variables. On top of that, despite all the myths, cranking a drive box doesn't always add gain. Sometimes it all it adds is compression.
Knowing what amps and drives you are using would be very handy in solving this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info, BrainalLeakage.

Check the pics he posted to find his amp and drive models.

All good info and suggestions that I'll be scoping out tomorrow.
I just hope I can find a happy medium. As it stands, the Axe-FX with this patch responds and sounds virtually identical to my Mark IV rig. SO much so, that I've considered selling the Mark IV and my rack of goodies. At this point, part of me thinks I only hang onto the stuff because I love the looks of all the buttons and knobs...LOL.

With my Mark IV rig, I normally run a Boss SD-1 for my main lead (With the gain pretty high), and a BB Preamp for my second lead tone (for slower, more sustaining lead passages).

Is your Mk4 system silent? I only ask as my last house had a major problem with the mains in the house, even after a complete rewire of everything. My friend works for the electricity company and had them dig up the street to replace cables and try and fix things but the mains was 'dirty' and my amps at certain times of the day became unusable plus there was always noise. I was the last house at the end of the line from the substation. I knew it was something to do with the mains as I had only moved from 5 house away to that house and the first house was perfect and supplied off a different substation.
Anyway, now I have moved again, my gear is silent.
The tapping the axefx and hearing that thump is worrying. Definitely don't want the unit near side fills or drum monitors. I don't ever remember my AxeFX doing this on loud stages. Would something like an Auralex Baby Gramma help?

Auralex Acoustics | BabyGRAMMAâ„¢ v2

Hope you get it sorted out.

I read thru this pretty quickly so I might have missed it but what pickups are you using. I assume they're wax potted.

On a side note; would it be possible to utilize this microphonic design so when we bang on the axe we can make the spring reverb go BOING...LOL

Looks like there was never really a 'solution' found, eh?

No, sorry I don't think anyone has found a solution but I'm not sure if the XL+ has the issue too. I have to be careful with any presets that have delay bc it can cause uncontrollable feedback, which can happen w/o my guitar plugged in. I try to remember to enable the Tuner between songs and not leave a preset w/ delay selected just in case the drums or bass cause my rack to vibrate. Once the feedback loop starts, I have to change presets to get it to stop.

As it stands, the Axe-FX with this patch responds and sounds virtually identical to my Mark IV rig. SO much so, that I've considered selling the Mark IV and my rack of goodies. At this point, part of me thinks I only hang onto the stuff because I love the looks of all the buttons and knobs...LOL.

With my Mark IV rig, I normally run a Boss SD-1 for my main lead (With the gain pretty high), and a BB Preamp for my second lead tone (for slower, more sustaining lead passages).

I have the same issue with my old rig which was a Mesa Boogie TriAxis & Stereo Simul-Class 2:Ninety, ART Progate, Boss BD-2 and Marshall 1960AV.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom