Axe Fx II, It's not Hype (IMO)

All three of us were disappointed. This was the "ultimate" setting for a presentation

Not at all, Ken.

If you're who I think you are (Sax player? Apologies if I'm mistaken.) I hope you'll indulge me as I express my thoughts on just how "non-ideal" a trade show is for "discovery" presentations. First, a word of thanks to you, the other visitors, and my co-workers who make these things possible. All in all, shows tend to be net-positive, with the unending string of handshakes, smiles, and compliments being what we choose to take away. I save my "presenter" badges with pride. I get to listen to AMAZING players, meet great people, and enjoy a generally fun-filled atmosphere. That's what the shows are BEST for: having a good time. I suppose the flip side of this is that with so many gushing fans, I personally get caught up in "Fractal fever" it becomes hard to remember that some are still some very critical, cynical individuals out there. I do try to "check this head" as often as possible, but in the same breath, I'd ask the customer who is more interested in "knowledge transfer" to meet me halfway.

First, it is LOUD. My hearing goes by mid-morning. When I listen to presets and recordings the next day I can often hear corrections required. This also does something to one's nerves after awhile. There are simple lifestyle factors as well. One does these "gigs" after heavy travel/setup... sleep-deprived, hungry, and bearing the stress of knowing that every small slip up is likely to show up on YouTube or some forum the next day. These are minor factors.

There are other pressures. A half-dozen people are waiting. Many expect you to read their minds: some won't ask but desperately to be handed a guitar; some want only demo 'X' but begrudgingly sit through demo 'Y'. Most seem to hide negative ideas instead of airing them on the spot.

There is also a contrast of expectations, combined with the fact that a presenter must serve the disparate wishes between visitors in sequence, or in a diverse group. The person playing, the person waiting, and the person watching might each expect vastly different things (not to mention the one who wants to film you, the owner with a deep question, and the one who wants to sell you something). At past shows, I've seen contrasting reports like, "Borrrring! Thins thing can't keep up with the zany sounds of box X" vs. "UGH! So many FX you could hardly hear the amps." We try to keep balanced in terms of time and individual wishes but it nearly impossible.

With a product as wildly diverse as the Axe-Fx (and as new as the Axe-Fx II), it is also difficult to bring true preparedness across the desires of diverse visitors. People often ask for very specific things -- like a certain song, or a preset from another unit, or maybe synth sounds -- that aren't handy, or don't mesh well with "the tradeshow state of mind". We try to be nimble in this regard, but again, the ultimate presentation (like the ones I make to a new artist or in personal appointment) is well-defined and prepared for in advance. Ironically, you were in the room at the same time as someone who inquired through Twitter, came to my studio, bought an Axe-Fx, and loves it! This challenge is a bigger factor. Even just accommodating the different GUITARS that come through the door can be huge.

Ken, If I were to design "the 'ultimate' setting for a presentation," its opposite would be the NY Amp show.

I encourage you to consider that you may have made a misjudgement. I would recommend that you consider experiencing the true "ultimate" presentation: purchase an Axe-Fx II, explore it in the comfort of your home for 2 weeks, and decide for yourself, reckoning meanwhile that thousands of naive and highly-educated listeners, ranging from complete unknowns to Grammy-award-winning players/producers/engineers -- disagree fundamentally with your assessment.

-Matt

Last edited:
Sounds like the best idea.. For every player wondering how this thing sounds/feels. 10 million players... At least 10 million opinions.

It's not clear to me why anyone besides Fractal Audio would be upset by Ken's review (handled extremely well by Matt a few posts ago).
I think most folks who frequent the forum are, in general, pleased with the Axe FX (however they are using it), whether they have a Standard or Ultra. It seems almost definite that the Axe II sounds as good as the Standard or Ultra, so when a review says "thin," "lifeless," "dissappointing," I don't put much stock in it.
What I think many are interested in is "Is it better than what I currently have (Standard or Ultra)?" and, if so, "Is the improved sound worth the additional purchase?"

KG

I am baffled as well on why one persons opinion can matter that much to folks here. I don't care if his qualifications included 5 Grammy's, and hundreds of multi-million dollar artists in his resume, OR he's just some guy in a garage with Pro-Tools, a book, and an opinion. He's ENTITLED to his opinion. He may or may not have an angle, but in the end, I would say he successfully did what he set out to do, and that is stir the pot (that much seems clear to me.)

The Axe wins by results, not a bunch of folks posting about how great it is. If he didn't see what others see/hear, then let him move on...I've had enough of the folks who come onto this board with the 'prove it to me' attitude.

Ron

Matt, have you recovered yet? Thanks for the perspective.

What was the name of that iPhone app to read the manual?

Cliff gave some insight as to future products, spoke about the chasis issue and alot of other stuff.

Any chance of a readers digest version (redburst21, Matt or Cliff)?

Terry.

hotels rooms are not optimal,but it's got to be better than a hall full of different amp vendors blasting over top of each other.you should try visiting Sam Ash in White Plains NY on a Saturday afternoon sometime,it's chaos.:)

Yeah try going to NAMM and hearing the nuances of an amp with every other manufacturer out there trying to be louder than you for attention while Steve vai and victor wooten are fishing out autographs while playing their respective instruments with people screaming and other dorkos talking how last NAMM was better because kirk hammett shakes his hand. :lol
I love that place though.

It's simply how forums work.

Negative opinions are irremediably accepted as 'fact'. Little context need be added. Positive content/opinions need tons of couching, or they are 'fan boi' ravings, etc..

To counter or disagree with a negative post and appear courteous takes enormous restraint and tactful context. It takes a lot of time and effort to do so correctly.

Forums are not dens of facts and open minded opinions. Anyone coming into a company owned fan forum and starts posting in the manner the poster did here is stirring the pot and asking for the fight. Imagine going to the corporate Porsche Forum and talk about how crappy their new car that is about to launch was at the Auto Show they visited for 30 minutes.

This stuff isn't rocket science. It's a forum. The Internet if full of them. Try a sports forum sometime if you want to see real throw downs. :D

Tone seeker,

App Is called good reader. It allows u to pick the chapters, or pages from manuals table of contents. Instead of cramping ur index finger sliding thru 180 pages lol.

As for the stuff shared honestly I'll leave it to the men behind the machines. I dont want to stir anything up or get crucified if in time things change and I seem like the false prophet of the village troll. Lol.....

Not at all, Ken.

If you're ... (snipped for brevity, but included in spirit) ... reckoning meanwhile that thousands of naive and highly-educated listeners, ranging from complete unknowns to Grammy-award-winning players/producers/engineers -- disagree fundamentally with your assessment.

-Matt
Hey. That's almost exactly what I wrote. ;)

I've never been in the same hemisphere as an amp show, but even I can guess as much.

Last edited:
He's ENTITLED to his opinion.

I've seen this stated several times in this thread, so far, and I think it needs to be clarified: he is not entitled to his opinion, he is only entitled to his informed opinion, at least if he is going to air it publicly. If his opinion, no matter how earnestly held, comes from a place of ignorance, then the viewing public is under no obligation to take it seriously or leave it unscrutinized.

And that is, I believe, the problem here: his opinion was not arrived at through adequate interaction with the device. I can find no indication, from his own description, that he is qualified to arrive at any meaningful opinion whatsoever. Why should we take him seriously, then? To denounce the product as "disappointing" (among other worthlessly vague and subjective adjectives) from such a limited demonstration is absurd, and IMO rightly deserves the skepticism and disregard it received.

As Mark Hughes once said: The Internet is a wonderful, fabulous place for the public discussion and debate of ideas - even with all of its problems, it is still the best communications medium humanity has ever invented. It is not a kind and gentle fairyland where everyone's ideas are supported and nurtured and allowed to pass, no matter how bizarre, because they represent the special uniqueness of each individual.

Trolls, however intentioned, need not be tolerated. Uninformed opinions, proudly (and ignorantly) delivered on public forums, are the lifeblood of trollish communication, and should be stamped out wherever they appear. It is a public duty! ;)

I've seen this stated several times in this thread, so far, and I think it needs to be clarified: he is not entitled to his opinion, he is only entitled to his informed opinion, at least if he is going to air it publicly. If his opinion, no matter how earnestly held, comes from a place of ignorance, then the viewing public is under no obligation to take it seriously or leave it unscrutinized.

And that is, I believe, the problem here: his opinion was not arrived at through adequate interaction with the device. I can find no indication, from his own description, that he is qualified to arrive at any meaningful opinion whatsoever. Why should we take him seriously, then? To denounce the product as "disappointing" (among other worthlessly vague and subjective adjectives) from such a limited demonstration is absurd, and IMO rightly deserves the skepticism and disregard it received.

As Mark Hughes once said: The Internet is a wonderful, fabulous place for the public discussion and debate of ideas - even with all of its problems, it is still the best communications medium humanity has ever invented. It is not a kind and gentle fairyland where everyone's ideas are supported and nurtured and allowed to pass, no matter how bizarre, because they represent the special uniqueness of each individual.

Trolls, however intentioned, need not be tolerated. Uninformed opinions, proudly (and ignorantly) delivered on public forums, are the lifeblood of trollish communication, and should be stamped out wherever they appear. It is a public duty! ;)

What is this??? He's entitled to his opinion, informed, uninformed or whatever. You can take his opinion or leave it. I/you/we are the arbiters of nothing.

@ velociryan

"he is not entitled to his opinion, he is only entitled to his informed opinion, at least if he is going to air it publicly."

Am I on the Fractal Forum or Fractal Eugenics?

@6L6C Thanks for thread, although it seems to have gone off the rails. Did you get a chance to preview the unit through headphones at all?

@FractalAudio I'm up for more demos tracks online. I can't wait to hear more!

Back
Top Bottom