Axe Fx II, It's not Hype (IMO)

6L6C

Power User
Went to the NY Amp Show today (in New Jersey, go figure?) and went with one thing on the agenda, “Axe Fx II”.
I like what I’m seeing on YouTube, but as you guys know nothing like being in front of it yourself. Keep in mind had said pretty much right after the announcement of the AF II, that I would get one of the new units. Pretty much on faith for at the time I never heard one, like everyone else. So I could be considered biased.

Anyway, how do I feel now that I have been in front of one? Want it more than ever! And for those who are on the fence about an upgrade, if you can, I feel it’s worth it. Without writing a novel about a piece of gear, you can already tell I like, and spent a short amount of time with. Some quick highlights, yes the effects sound stellar, the new modeling tech stands out with the amp models, but the new cab models are really outstanding! The USB is really nice also; editor works way faster which means everything can be manipulated faster.

That’s it really just a quick observation, you were also given the opportunity to either play through a real cab or for the FRFR people a pair of Atomics or a set of JBL’s monitors as you can see in the photo, each setup sounded great! Also there was alot of great gear at the show not just Fractal, great tones everywhere and for every style!!. But the Fractal room really did it for me. Not meaning to sound smug after the Fractal room pretty much lost motivation for everything else, but of course went anyway.
John
P6032224.jpg

Reactions: gpz
Went to the NY Amp Show today (in New Jersey, go figure?) and went with one thing on the agenda, “Axe Fx II”.
I like what I’m seeing on YouTube, but as you guys know nothing like being in front of it yourself. Keep in mind had said pretty much right after the announcement of the AF II, that I would get one of the new units. Pretty much on faith for at the time I never heard one, like everyone else. So I could be considered biased.

Anyway, how do I feel now that I have been in front of one? Want it more than ever! And for those who are on the fence about an upgrade, if you can, I feel it’s worth it. Without writing a novel about a piece of gear, you can already tell I like, and spent a short amount of time with. Some quick highlights, yes the effects sound stellar, the new modeling tech stands out with the amp models, but the new cab models are really outstanding! The USB is really nice also; editor works way faster which means everything can be manipulated faster.

That’s it really just a quick observation, you were also given the opportunity to either play through a real cab or for the FRFR people a pair of Atomics or a set of JBL’s monitors as you can see in the photo, each setup sounded great! Also there was alot of great gear at the show not just Fractal, great tones everywhere and for every style!!. But the Fractal room really did it for me. Not meaning to sound smug after the Fractal room pretty much lost motivation for everything else, but of course went anyway.
John
P6032224.jpg

Its funny i've never heard an axe fx in real life... but have lived on recordings in this forum and youtube. Since axe fx 2's release I already feel like I've moved on from axe fx 1 and upgrading to axe 2, even though I've never owned any fractal hardware hahah!

I was able to audition the device today at the NY/NJ show. 4 of us heard it; one of us is very interested in this device and wanted our opinions. I must state up front that while my friend plays guitar, the rest of us played other instruments. 2 of us have done sound professionally; I am also an electrical engineer who made his first midi device in the 1980s. Just trying to give the background of the 3 of us giving our unbiased views. We compared it to the equivalent Eventide device, about 2000 dollars.

All three of us were disappointed. This was the "ultimate" setting for a presentation since, I assume, it was presented in an optimum way. Yes, this is a state of the art device. Yes, the technological strides made are very impressive. But you can really hear the difference between this and the real thing. Also, the effects lacked depth and sounded thin when compared to the Eventide. It was flat and thin. Lots of digital 'stuff' in there. I wonder if it would have sounded better without the modeling and just the effects. (The Eventide does not do amp modeling.) We didn't go back and check that. But, there are advantages. If you are into certain types of music, this does a very nice job. And let's face it, the reduced weight is a big plus. If you do it right, you can cut tons of wires and carry lots less. That reduces potential mishaps during gigs. And, if you need the sound of many types of amps, this could be adequate. And I wonder whether the phenomenon of masking makes my criticisms moot.

I know many people may disagree with me, and perhaps vehemently. Hey, if you like it, buy it. I merely suggest that you hear it first. Do not listen to recordings. Hear it for yourself.

I was able to audition the device today at the NY/NJ show. 4 of us heard it; one of us is very interested in this device and wanted our opinions. I must state up front that while my friend plays guitar, the rest of us played other instruments. 2 of us have done sound professionally; I am also an electrical engineer who made his first midi device in the 1980s. Just trying to give the background of the 3 of us giving our unbiased views. We compared it to the equivalent Eventide device, about 2000 dollars.

All three of us were disappointed. This was the "ultimate" setting for a presentation since, I assume, it was presented in an optimum way. Yes, this is a state of the art device. Yes, the technological strides made are very impressive. But you can really hear the difference between this and the real thing. Also, the effects lacked depth and sounded thin when compared to the Eventide. It was flat and thin. Lots of digital 'stuff' in there. I wonder if it would have sounded better without the modeling and just the effects. (The Eventide does not do amp modeling.) We didn't go back and check that. But, there are advantages. If you are into certain types of music, this does a very nice job. And let's face it, the reduced weight is a big plus. If you do it right, you can cut tons of wires and carry lots less. That reduces potential mishaps during gigs. And, if you need the sound of many types of amps, this could be adequate. And I wonder whether the phenomenon of masking makes my criticisms moot.

I know many people may disagree with me, and perhaps vehemently. Hey, if you like it, buy it. I merely suggest that you hear it first. Do not listen to recordings. Hear it for yourself.

Improving the effects [dramatically] could be on the agenda of each firmware upgrade.

I think Fractal makes it very easy for anyone to listen to it, the buyer has a 15 day trial period as far as I know.. what's better then that?

What is under that cloth? Anyone took apeak.
Maybe another misterious SS amp like last year LOL
Did anyone see Tom King?

How was the comparison made? Did you have both units in the same room through the same monitors with the same source material?

Personally, I don't care for the Atomics and would never use them for critical listening. Can't comment on the JBL's.

But you can really hear the difference between this and the real thing. Also, the effects lacked depth and sounded thin when compared to the Eventide. It was flat and thin. Lots of digital 'stuff' in there.

What was the "real thing" to which you compared the Axe Fx II?

You mention the Eventide, but what amp/preamp combo, what speakers?

To which Axe Fx config did you compare the Eventide setup - Atomics, JBL's, or 4X12?

Was it a side by side comparison? Or was the comparison from memory?

Please describe "digital stuff". Can you be more specific?

"Flat and thin" is an odd discriptor. I know this is all subjective opinion, but those terms would convey to me that something was wrong. Did you mention this to Cliff and have him demonstrate the adjustment of various parameters to improve the tone or do so yourself?

What were the amp/cab/effects/eq settings on the Axe Fx II when you made the comparison?

It's odd that you use the phrase "the real thing" seemingly in reference to the Eventide. Doesn't it create effects via digital algorithms just like the FAS products, and as do TC Electonic, Lexicon, etc? These are all largely simulating real, time-based acoustic phenomena are they not? Overall, it's a surprising review that leaves a lot of questions.

Last edited:

Italo? LOL

Nice try.....................

Last edited:

You tried it, you didn't like it, it wasn't for you...Thats ok. It how ever does work for a lot of other musicians, bedroom, weekend warrior and more importantly professional. That said, based on your review to me it sounds like you didn't spend enough time with the product to form an accurate opinion.

Do not listen to recordings. Hear it for yourself.

I'm sorry, but I do have to say that this is one of the dumbest pieces of advice I've heard in terms of music gear ever. A huge number of Axefx users are ABSOLUTELY interested in how this thing will sound recorded. There's no more brutally honest way to hear how a piece of gear really sounds than to play back the performance when one is not playing the guitar etc. This is especially true for a direct recording because so many variables are removed from the equation as opposed to the usual amp, cab, mic, mic pre etc.
Unless people on these clips are doing a ton of post processing, and they aren't to my knowledge, then clips are exactly what I want to hear. The only thing a clip won't do is allow the listener to "feel" the amp's/modeller's reaction while actually playing. Other than that, your advice to not listen to clips is really just ridiculous. You may be an electrical engineer, but your review and commentary sounded more like the uninformed blabbering of an 8th grader trying real hard to sound credible.

cheers,
Steve

You guys are feeding a troll here....
LOL - this poster (a post count of ONE BTW when it was written) is obviously well acquainted with the Axe and it's capabilities.
It's pretty strange how all of the negative feedback (which BTW I couldn't find during the 12 months research I did prior to buying an Ultra), entitlement issues and complaints about the device, rollout availability, etc, are those low post counts! Just saying...

Reactions: MNG
Back
Top Bottom