Axe FX II - High gain amp showcase, 13 amp models

Wouuuh!!
This was killer stuff and very well produced one.
This is the video I will share to all my metalhead friends who has some doubts about this magic black box :)
Would be very cool to have those tones in one preset folder and try them out here... any chance to share?
Thanks for posting!

Wow bud, great job! I loved the tone of the ENGL the most so that one is on my radar now for heavy s&@t. I also had a couple of realizations, the first that the Soldano sounds somewhat 2 dimensional in comparison to all the others so that was my least favorite by a mile.

The second that the Mesa tones weren't as hip as many of the others and how heavy tones have evolved since they kinda set the standard with the Rectum Frier.

Super honorable mention to the FAS Modern which was able to hang will all of those monsters and a big thumbs up on your video editing skills too.

Diezel and MKIV for me! crushing!

what a great job, man. love the interlude, as well!

that vid's gonna sell a few units, i reckon...

i'm gonna bookmark this vid and use it for reference whenever i need a monster rhythm tone

also just noticed no 5153? i thought that would have been an obvious candidate...the red channel is amazing on this model...??

THANK YOU SIIIRRRRRRRRRRR AND WOOOOOW ... that was a realy informative and absolutely entertaining piece of work ...
you did an absolutely amazing job there ... i couldn't believe as i read you will showcase THIRTEEN amps in one vid ... i ve enjoyed
every minute of it ... i think that is related to the non djenty higainers amongst us the best thing i ve ever seen on this forum ... i hope you
do more of this kind of stuff or maybe some tutorial like stuff ... I can t say more than just THANK YOU and RESPECT .... this is absolutely
fantastic ...

Greatz M

Wow, thank you all for all your comments, you're too kind! I'm really glad you like it ^_^

My primary goal with this was to make each and every amp sound as good as possible. My purpose was not to compare them, which will happen anyway, but to show how each one of them can sound in a full mix. Maybe I'll consider doing a straight comparison video at some point. ;)

Super awesome work! I noticed that on some of the amps, you used PEQs and GEQs... also I saw that you used compression in the SLO. Care to tell us why you put those in the patch... i.e. what frequencies you needed to take out or enhance? Did some amps just not sound good on their own for your purpose?

Thanks for your impressive work.

I generally avoid using EQs within a patch. I used to avoid them completely until recently when "someone" (;))gave me a patch using EQs with an amp that I was having trouble with, and it sounded awesome. I prefer to record the "full" sound coming out of the Axe and then EQ it to taste in Cubase. I only use EQs in a patch when I'm going for a specific tone and I'm having trouble getting there. I don't really have a certain way I go about it (i.e. cut at 800hz, boost at 1400hz, etc) I just use my ears and tweak accordingly. The only thing I do on every amp no matter what, and you can see this in the video, is I always do a surgical cut at 2khz and the standard high/low pass in Cubase. Reason for doing a cut at 2khz is because that's where all the "fizz" resides. Some amps are more fizzy than others so I tweak EQ accordingly.

As for the SLO, it felt a bit loose to me so I added compression to tighten it up a bit.

Great job on this! I've watched it like 3 times already
Kudos to you sir! :lol Glad you're enjoying it dude, and thanks for the help ;)

Super honorable mention to the FAS Modern which was able to hang will all of those monsters and a big thumbs up on your video editing skills too.
FAS Modern has come a long way, it's one of my faves now.

also just noticed no 5153? i thought that would have been an obvious candidate...the red channel is amazing on this model...??
It's there, EVH 5150 III

Once more, thanks for all the kind comments. Most of all, thank you Cliff and everyone at FAS, keep up the awesomely amazing work :)

Thanks dude, that was f**** great!!8)
You're in Cyprus so assume you bought the Axe thru G66? Send them that video, you'll get on the frontpage and will have thousands of views, great PR for Fractal. 3 thumbs up!!

Great vid!

Good riffing worth more than 13000 amps! It keeps people watching the whole video :D

+1 to all that's been said! Excellent work. This will be a great learning tool for many (including me). You have my heartfelt thanks!

Absolutely awesome. That's a lot of work! You say you've been working on it 'for awhile' does that mean it's v6.02?

I'm impressed all the way through; great playing, tone and production quality of the video itself. I'm sold....oh yeah, I already have one. :)

Excelent work showcasing all those sounds and amps. You have same great sounds there.

Is it just me or the Soldano, Mesa Mark and Cameron just got changed for the worst in this firmware?

Cameron used to be my all time favorite amp in the Axe II. Now I cant even play 5 minutes with it...

Absolutely awesome. That's a lot of work! You say you've been working on it 'for awhile' does that mean it's v6.02?

I started this project with v6.02 and the initial plan was to showcase 11 amps. I even had the video intro down with those 11. Then came v7.0 with two new toys which I had to include, especially the Herbert which is my absolute fave these days, bringing the number to a total of 13. I had to re-tweak some of the patches and redo the intro which took even more time. I think I was working on it for about a month and a half to two months, my memory is a bit blurry. Yes it was a lot of work but it was fun to do as I learned quite a bit about video editing. And it was totally worth it, I'm overwhelmed and humbled by all your positive comments :ugeek

But yeah what you are hearing, is all v7.0 except for the intro and outro songs which were recorded prior to v7.0 In case you're wondering, I used the 5150 II on the intro song and the VH-4 on the outro one.

One of the best showcase of the black box I've seen so far. Outstanding tones and great guitar playing. Absolutely impressive.

Back
Top Bottom