Axe FX II - High gain amp showcase, 13 amp models

It's a very cool video, but I have a concern:

For an amp-only review, the amp eq's all sound WILDLY different. So different, in fact, that I can't even recognize some of the amp tones as being like that particular amp. For example, the Engl Powerball, it sounded nothing like what I have in my axefx, and didn't sound anything like my real Powerball head. Your version sounded really bad to me. Then, the JCM800, an amp I'm not a fan of in a modern metal context, sounded great. Nothing like the JCM800's I've heard before.

All of this was rather confusing for me. Were all the amp eq's set at noon? They sure didn't sound like it to me. I hate to sound like a jerk, but the tones here didn't seem like a fair comparison or representation.

Like Chris said, this is just a showcase. I think I said it before, my primary goal was to make each and every amp model sound as good as possible, at least to my ears. The whole purpose of this is not to pit them against each other but rather show how they can sound in a full mix and in extend show how good this black magic box is.

A few people, just like you, commented that "X amp model" doesn't sound like the real thing. I've never owned any of the amps so I don't know how they sound like in person. Hence you get a JCM800 and a Powerball (to use your examples) that might not resemble their real life counterparts, and even if they did, I wouldn't know ;)

None of the EQ's in the amp block were set to noon. You can see the amp block's basic tab when the Axe-Edit screenshot comes on screen.

I would like to stress the fact that this is just a showcase. Comparisons are inevitable though, nothing I can do about that. I may consider doing a comparison video at some point, time will tell.

This was great. Choosing different cabs/mics for each amp and making that combination sound good to you was the right way go.

On most of the patches you used two cabs, did you pan both to center to create a mono blend? And while tracking/mixing, did you use the same patch and same post processing for left and right, hard panned 100% left / 100% right?

You already explained how you approach choosing the right cab(s) for given patch. What about the drive model?

Can we expect to see those patches in Axe Change soon? :)

All this talk about guitar (amp) sounds, but did you use bass there? Is it just the guitars and drums because I can't hear the bass. Or was it mixed so low?

Yep, I pan both cabs to center. Same patch, post processing on both tracks. And yes, double tracked, 100% left, 100% right. You're on to something! :lol

Hmmm, drive blocks. It's still the same principle, I just use my ears and go with whatever sounds good. There are only a handful of useful drive blocks for forging crushing metal tones, at least that's what I think. I use 3 or 4 of them, each with their own sonic characteristics. T808's and the Rat get the most use so they're the first things I try out when I'm working on a patch. I'll use an oddball from time to time (just like on the Mark IV patch, which was "suggested" by a friend ;)) but that's pretty uncommon for me.

As for the patches, I'm not sure if I wanna share them just yet. I have a few ideas about that but I haven't decided on anything yet. Stay tuned ;) Besides, the video itself is a great starting point I think. Part of the fun is coming up with your own tones although I understand some people are more the plug'n'play type rather than the "tweaker of one thousand and one parameters".

And yes, there is bass. It's not mixed as low as you'd think. The tones lack weight and sound lifeless without it. I cannot stress how important the bass is to the guitar tone and I'm a guy who neglected that for the longest time. It's just I mixed the guitars a bit higher than everything else this time as the focus is the guitar tones themselves.

Last edited:
good showcase.
about the jcm800 sound here, iirc a drive pedal was put in the chain? 80s slayer (for example) used to do that with a JCM800, and the tone here did sort of remind me slayer (c. reign in blood).
lots of 80s thrash metal bands used the jcm800 with a drive pedal; ass-kicking combination.

Really nice video. I think the video editing was really good. Amazing work for your first video. You're obviously an over achiever.

Honestly, many of the amps, I was slightly shocked with how you had them sounding. The recto didn't have the crushing low end like it's known for. All in all, I don't know if this is the best representation of the amps in the Axe FX II, but I understand your aim. Dialing these amps is highly suggestive and what I like, you may hate. Kudos to you for all your hard work! You should really think about going into video editing.

Already over 7,000 views, man, great job. I am new to Axe, and know nothing about video, but, WOW. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!
Which bass amp did you use?

JD

This is incredibly good! Sound wall!: O
You can try to take the presets?
I did not find them ..

nice video dude, but I have a question;

in the first clip where you demonstrate the 5150 II on the axe edit, why do you not just take 1 cab block and set it to stereo with both of those cabs you showcased with their respective mics?

Really nice video. I think the video editing was really good. Amazing work for your first video. You're obviously an over achiever.

Honestly, many of the amps, I was slightly shocked with how you had them sounding. The recto didn't have the crushing low end like it's known for. All in all, I don't know if this is the best representation of the amps in the Axe FX II, but I understand your aim. Dialing these amps is highly suggestive and what I like, you may hate. Kudos to you for all your hard work! You should really think about going into video editing.
Well like I said before I've never played on any of the amps in person so I don't know how they sound like. I don't know about going into video editing, I feel I've only scratched the surface, still so much to learn!

Just watched it again. Amazing production.
Thanks dude, glad you're enjoying it! :)

Already over 7,000 views, man, great job. I am new to Axe, and know nothing about video, but, WOW. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!
Which bass amp did you use?

JD
SV Bass!

nice video dude, but I have a question;

in the first clip where you demonstrate the 5150 II on the axe edit, why do you not just take 1 cab block and set it to stereo with both of those cabs you showcased with their respective mics?
Flexibility. I can tweak the room tab differently for each cab this way. Plus it's visually more correct to have 2 cabs on screen if I'm using 2 cabs.

This is great!!!
Are you a fan of Morbid Angel by any chance?
I like them but I wouldn't call myself a fan. It's funny because I actually listen to a lot of death metal.

Wow, just wow! My poor wife had to endure me repeatedly playing this video, rewinding, freeze framing, etc. Killer job on the audio and video production, great Axe-Fx and drum programming, everything! And it is really nice of you to offer so much detailed feedback to everyone. I've been learning to use Cubase 5. It's a really great program, albeit a bit intimidating at first. I love the drum sounds. Are you using Superior Drummer 2.0 by chance? Also, did you use the drum editor in Cubase?

Again, thanks loads for doing this! You are mega talented!

Last edited:
Wow, just wow! My poor wife had to endure me repeatedly playing this video, rewinding, freeze framing, etc. Killer job on the audio and video production, great Axe-Fx and drum programming, everything! And it is really nice of you to offer so much detailed feedback to everyone. I've been learning to use Cubase 5. It's a really great program, albeit a bit intimidating at first. I love the drum sounds. Are you using Superior Drummer 2.0 by chance? Also, did you use the drum editor in Cubase?

Again, thanks loads for doing this! You are mega talented!

I've been a Cubase user since my early beginnings of getting into recording. It has a steep learning curve for sure, especially if you're new to recording, but it's so powerful and versatile.

I write the drums note for note in the drum editor. I had to learn how to do it because when I started there were no midi file presets or anything like that so I had to write everything from scratch. It takes a while to get the hang of it but it's second nature to me because I've been doing it for so long. And yes, I'm using Superior Drummer 2.0 with The Metal Foundry addon.

Someone just posted this comment on YT: "You, sir, have just convinced me that I need to buy an Axe Fx II immediately. Now if you could you please convince my wife of the same thing, that would be much appreciated." :lol

Also necro bump for those who missed it :ugeek

Back
Top Bottom