Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 6.01 Up

I have to say this update is a significant improvement. Honestly I felt 6.0 was a step back from 5.07. Now the Axe Fx is everything I hoped it would be when I started on this journey 4+ years. The new amps sound great and all the amps sound much better now, to the point where I'd suggest putting a stop to "improving" them further.

My only question would be; why are two Boogie amps and the Leeds so much quieter than the others?

Great work.

I still use X and Y, where one is "Less"and the other "More", regarding the amount of amp gain. I like this approach a lot. It does mean that I can't / won't use all the amps I love, but for live use it really doesn't matter. And I can focus much better on getting the best tone from the ones I do use.

But it's hard to decide on which ones to use. Right now I'm considering exchanging the Vox preset for my new-found Lonestar tone for clean tones. The agony of choice....

That's exactly how I use X/Y Yek. The multitude of choices is ridiculous, but nice to have. And a big +1 on the Lonestar. I jumped on that baby about a week ago and still cannot get off it.

Reactions: yek
On some notes/guitars the tuner could get jiggly (for a lack of better word). On mine it was the open B, especially on my PRS. It works great now.

Oooh, I know what you mean. I had that!
Great to hear it's been fixed :) I'll have to warm up before trying the update thing. I've only had the AxeII for about 3 weeks now and never had to do a FW-update! Is there a wiki-page on how to update via USB? :)

I like this update much better than the 6.0. IMO the amps sound better now. I also have struggled with the tuner, but not anymore. Thank you Fractal Audio :)

My response was to Scott's point about these 'to the point' and 'uncolored' comments from FAS. I have read many posts from FAS that have, to my ear anyway, sounded strident, or even condescending. As I said, I can understand that, but then let's not pretend they're emotionless engineers always responding in perfectly objective language. Sue me: I am a writer by trade.

As to the update, I AM GLAD that FAS works so hard on these things. They are 'free' to us, but they also increase the marketability of the machine, so it's not a 'looking a gift horse in the mouth' situation here, rather it's a win-win/sometimes lose. Win for all the new features. Win for more marketability (you KNOW that TM blew Kempner's collective mind), and sometimes a lose because somehow features don't seem to be 'optional' - i.e. every time you get a new release, your sounds change. That is a real weakness, IMHO. It is probably not possible any othjer way, but I wish to god we could have an update where everything sounds the same UNTIL we tweak it. It definitely produces a 'gunshy' feeling for me, and I am not a working musician. God only knows how guys in cover bands deal with it.

I have to say this update is a significant improvement. Honestly I felt 6.0 was a step back from 5.07. Now the Axe Fx is everything I hoped it would be when I started on this journey 4+ years. The new amps sound great and all the amps sound much better now, to the point where I'd suggest putting a stop to "improving" them further.

My only question would be; why are two Boogie amps and the Leeds so much quieter than the others?

Great work.

I am curious if you could tell us HOW they are better for you? I am pretty happy (after some tweaking) with my 6.0 sounds, and am curious what was missing that's now there - is it the transformer matching issue?

As to stopping development, I agree. I mean, I'd still love more amp models (Rivera Venus 6 and Chubster please) would be great, but I'd love if the modeling architecture would stop changing! We've got great sounds, five trillion parameters alreadty.

My response was to Scott's point about these 'to the point' and 'uncolored' comments from FAS. I have read many posts from FAS that have, to my ear anyway, sounded strident, or even condescending. As I said, I can understand that, but then let's not pretend they're emotionless engineers always responding in perfectly objective language. Sue me: I am a writer by trade.

Think of it this way - Cliff doesn't filter or candy coat his opinion. In public relations, you don't let your clients speak without filtering it for public consumption. Cliff speaks his mind; sometimes you might not like it, but he is not going to pull any punches. He's not my client and AFAIK he doesn't employ an ad agency or public relations firm. He calls it like he sees it. Sometimes folks don't like that.

Folks sometimes don't grasp how hard he works - relentlessly - on this stuff. Does he take some things personally? I'd assume yes, sometimes. Does something posted sound condescending? That's interpretation. If you get to know the man, he's pretty direct. He isn't going to change his manner for you or me or anyone else.

The choice is always out there not to re-flash and stick with what you have until there is a break in your schedule where you can do some preset editing with a new firmware.

Couple that with the reliability of the AxeFx and MFC hardware under some pretty extreme temperature and even humidity conditions, and I don't have an issue with how it is handled.

I started with the Ultra and bought a II pretty soon after its launch. My personal experience is, there are less and less things that I need to change to build my presets.

Therefore, I don't fear the tone changes when I re-flash these days. Seems like I can get back to where I need without too much gnashing.

Richard

I'm a never-change-my-strings kinda guy, and I don't see the reason for changing the strings all the time unless I'm having a gig or something major.

Well, I felt this was pretty major and oh my god. I knew it already and I know you guys know but with new and fresh strings everything's got more character and life.

I like the sound I get when the strings are not too new and bright and shiny (heeeere's johnny....? :p) but oh my god change your strings when listening for differences and character.

*dodging the whip, matrix style, from all the comments heading my way from saying this, lol I don't wanna change my strings every other day. It's my guitar! chu, chu :p

Any of you who've had the chance to go through the amps on 6.1, have you tried any of the Fender models? Particularly the Deluxe or Bassman's? I struggled in 6.0 with a bit of distortion, not that it couldn't be worked out, but just curious if the new transformer stuff has made these amps a bit easier to dial in? I can't do my update probably until this weekend, so just curious what you all think.

Any of you who've had the chance to go through the amps on 6.1, have you tried any of the Fender models? Particularly the Deluxe or Bassman's? I struggled in 6.0 with a bit of distortion, not that it couldn't be worked out, but just curious if the new transformer stuff has made these amps a bit easier to dial in? I can't do my update probably until this weekend, so just curious what you all think.

It might be slightly better but I still think the 65Bassguy & Doubleverb distort way too easily.

...I wish to god we could have an update where everything sounds the same UNTIL we tweak it. It definitely produces a 'gunshy' feeling for me, and I am not a working musician. God only knows how guys in cover bands deal with it.

*funny_polymath...this is GOD.
Guys in cover bands deal with it by redialing their patches.
Working musicians can do this because I gave them a gift I didn't give to every bedroom/amateur musician. I gave them something called EARS*

;-)

Folks sometimes don't grasp how hard he works - relentlessly - on this stuff. Does he take some things personally? I'd assume yes, sometimes. Does something posted sound condescending? That's interpretation. If you get to know the man, he's pretty direct. He isn't going to change his manner for you or me or anyone else except Danielle.

Fixed! :) We all cave...

*funny_polymath...this is GOD.
Guys in cover bands deal with it by redialing their patches.
Working musicians can do this because I gave them a gift I didn't give to every bedroom/amateur musician. I gave them something called EARS*

;-)

I looked in the mirror just this morning and I most definetly HAVE ears! :)

Don't know if it's just me but the 5153's aren't showing in Axe-Edit. Got them going through the Axefx interface though and WOW...Red >= God.

Don't know if it's just me but the 5153's aren't showing in Axe-Edit. Got them going through the Axefx interface though and WOW...Red >= God.

You need to download the latest Axe-Edit. This holds true with every firmware update, to see the new models you always need the updated Axe-Edit.

Same here. Very slow update, at least twice as long. Updated with AE 304 via USB, Windows 7 x64. I was concerned at first, but it completed successfully.
Same here it was much slower than usual but I managed to survive. I was using AE .302 if that matters. Probably took about 5 solid minutes which in anticipation time is like days.

Well, I felt this was pretty major and oh my god. I knew it already and I know you guys know but with new and fresh strings everything's got more character and life.
it's not only dirt on the strings, but as we fret the strings, they flatten out a bit right over the fret, obv because we're pressing down on them. you may not be able to see it, but because the string isn't round anymore it doesn't resonate and ring out like it should, thus killing the tone, highs, feel, etc.

i haven't changed my current set for 6 months now, but i haven't been gigging guitar (drums though omg too much stuff to carry!). but getting back into it and i'm changing strings probably today to set my tones for gigs coming up soon.

Back
Top Bottom