Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 5.00 Up

This was a weird update for me. I haven't been able to play around with it since last night but it seems like maybe 2 steps forward & 3 backwards. I'm just not feeling this one like past updates. I guess maybe since I don't use the cab sims a lot of the dynamics improvements are missing for us guys that use tube power & guitar speakers & not FRFR! Anyone else notice that?

WOw

i have had my axe 2 up and running for all of a day, it shipped with 4.01

that being said, now that i have it up and running what is the best way on the 2 to upgrade the firmware? is it in the manual somewhere? i only have the USB connection to the MAC?

is it done thru axe edit? or thru axe edit and the front panel like my old standard?

thanks

I skimmed all #163 posts briefly and tried to find this-- do we have to change anything on our presets other than perhaps flipping the amp sim to/from a different model? Is this needed for the cab block?

WOw

i have had my axe 2 up and running for all of a day, it shipped with 4.01

that being said, now that i have it up and running what is the best way on the 2 to upgrade the firmware? is it in the manual somewhere? i only have the USB connection to the MAC?

is it done thru axe edit? or thru axe edit and the front panel like my old standard?

thanks
I running the same;

I downloaded the firmware to my desktop, then go to firmware update page in utilities on the axe. Go into axe-exit settings and click update firmware, click on the drop down arrows and choose desktop and click on the download and click open. The axe will say waiting for firmware click update in axe-edit and it should update. axe will then say shut off and turn back on then edit will say complete enjoy:D

thanks
same as with your Standard. I assume you used AE for that ? if you don't have midi or don't want to use midi, you'll have to hook it up via USB.

Rushed home from work...loaded 5.0...quickly reset about 10-15 patches and adjusted just the dynamic to between 25-50%...then off to a try-out for a new band...Killed it. I got a lot of great comments and questions on the sound. It felt so good, a lot more dynamic. Thanks FAS!

cobbler said:
@Robboman.... My BAD. I loaded up your preset just now and it did indeed freeze axe edit and the II almost instantly. It came in at 83% CPU but I assume the patch is corrupt as this is the same behavior I noticed with other corrupt loads. A reboot of both the unit and app corrected the lockup.

I realized I had pulled up one of smilefans creations and was playing that all night. :eek:ops Dohhhhhhhhh! I truly apologize for the misinformation.

Aha! Thanks for the update, that helps! Yek and Scott figured it was a corrupt preset but I was worried my hardware was bad since it didn't freeze your II. Whew!

In any event, I've been playing around and tweaking a bunch of stock presets, replacing blocks, testing the DYN controls and my II has been running flawlessly for 3 hrs now. As long as I don't open that preset it's all good. I'll just rebuild my presets, no biggie.

To add my 2 bits to the 5.0 joy... It sounds ridiculously amazing! WOW!

I've been messin' with 5 a bit, it's really cool. It's really alive and 3D. I'm not sure exactly how to tame this beast yet lol, there's so much great new stuff. I'd recommend everyone take their time and really get to know what's changed before they decide they have issues or not. This isn't a minor revision.

I'm liking v5.0 a lot, thanks Cliff/Fractal again.. I aways just save all my presets and the firmware I created them with, then install the new version, this way if i don't have enough time between gigs to work on the new presets with the newest version, all it takes is a few minutes to reinstall the older version and patches, but with any major revision I always enjoy creating all the patches I need from scratch, usually only about 15 for live use, and they're not very complicated, I find this fun to learn the new parameters, and so far after every update I end up with better patches.. love it! :)

Is that new tape delay that people were talking about elsewhere in the forum included in this new release? Any new amps? I've been trolling around looking for some "what's new in 5.0" release notes. If it's here, I just haven't found it yet. Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Great update Cliff! Thanks! Installed tonight, haven't even tweaked the new parameters, but as everyone is saying, love the feel.

Can someone please translate the release notes to english??? I barely understood a word of what was written, apart from the fact that the amp modelling has undergone some serious changes and there are a bunch of new tabs! What do all these controls REALLY do??

The AFX2 keeps sounding better and getting more complex... And if you're coming from the Ultra it fools you into a false sense of comfort because it looks so similar, but is in fact completely different!!! Wtf!

Is that new tape delay that people were talking about elsewhere in the forum included in this new release? Any new amps? I've been trolling around looking for some "what's new in 5.0" release notes. If it's here, I just haven't found it yet. Sorry if these are dumb questions.
The release notes are in the firmware package. Just unzip it, and there you are!

Can someone please translate the release notes to english???
Here's a very brief, very rough—and somewhat cheeky—translation:
  1. U can haz new firmware.
  2. It sounds and feel lots better.
  3. There's a Dynamics knob that changes the dynamics. Check it out and hear what it does.
  4. There's a Motor Drive knob in the cab sim. It makes the cab respond to power like a real speaker does. Check it out and hear what it does.
  5. The amp block's high-frequency resonance block has been simplified.
  6. The enhancer is better, too. So is the noise gate. And the compressor.
  7. The USB output choices—well, you don't get 'em anymore.
  8. We also fixed a bunch of stuff.
To understand the nitty-gritty details of the changes Cliff made in the new firmware, you need to know about amplifier circuit design. To use those changes, all you need is your ears. :)

This was a weird update for me. I haven't been able to play around with it since last night but it seems like maybe 2 steps forward & 3 backwards. I'm just not feeling this one like past updates. I guess maybe since I don't use the cab sims a lot of the dynamics improvements are missing for us guys that use tube power & guitar speakers & not FRFR! Anyone else notice that?

Every update for the Axe-fx II has pertained more to the power amp modeling than the pre-amp modeling... So using a tube power amp and turning the power amp modeling off would not give you much of any for most (if not all) of the Axe2 updates with regards to the amp sims... (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Back
Top Bottom