Axe-Fx II Firmware Version 12.04 Public Beta

The default values in the SPKR page are set to the values measured from the actual speakers.

It really doesn't matter though. You are confusing IR's with speaker impedance. There is little correlation. The speaker impedance sets your low end response and feel. The IR gives you the tonal coloration. Set the SPKR stuff to get the desired low end response and feel. Choose an IR that gives the tone you want.

Stop obsessing over exactly matching an amp. For several reasons. An amp is constrained by the speaker impedance. You don't have that constraint with the Axe-Fx. Don't like the resonant frequency? Change it. Resonance is too high or too low? Change it. You'll end up with a BETTER amp that isn't constrained by the limitations of the speakers. The Axe-Fx is the most powerful amp modeler in the world and gives you, the user, the power to improve upon a real amp. Use that power and make music. That's what the device is designed for.

Great post! Sums it all up perfectly. :)

Do a quick test - switch on "ideal pentode" as your power tube, test again! ;)

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I asked if "update all presets" from the front panel changed any settings in the amp block.

I've noticed that this FW update doesn't automatically update the amp block in existing presets. I've done some tests and using "update all presets" on the front panel does not do it either. I've had to select the amp block in each preset, change the amp model type, then change it back. This preserves the settings on the amp block basic tab. Or I can right click and choose "reset", but this resets everything, including tone and gain settings.

Is there another way to do this? Maybe reloading the bank??

Again, just loading the new FW onto the AXE doesn't update your amp block models in existing presets, at least in my unit. I think maybe someone is having one over on us to see if we really notice the difference. The difference is slight but I hear it. And in my unit, I need to reset the amp blocks manually in each preset.

UPDATE: This update started acting crazy with amp models and seemed to be scrambling some settings that changed the sound of each model slightly when I reloaded the preset or amp model. I reset the axe and reloaded the FW and I don't have this problem anymore. So, I do not need to update each amp model, the FW update seems to have updated all amps in my presets. Phew!!!

Last edited:
I'm not really one to overstate my feelings with the Axe FX II, but man I am loving this update. I have updated to 12.03, and all the betas, but I haven't actually got to play until this release of 12.04 beta. The master volume responds amazing, it is so cool. I just played into the stock Hiwatt preset(preset 11 I believe), which I tweaked, and into the USA lead which I also tweaked. I never used to use the Hiwatt because I never like how it sounded, but with this beta and my Tele, it sounds stellar. The USA lead has always been one of my favorites, esp. with my PRS, but I could never get a great sound with my Tele, but tonight it was great. USA Lead, with the low res and low res frequency tweaked, a little but of thunk, 5 band mesa eq, and a compressor for low volume sustain and I was in heaven! I usually don't always notice huge improvements in every firmware, but this one really is the bee's knees! Oh, and btw I could not notice any change in tone whatsoever when changing power tube, with MV low and high, etc. Maybe it is because I wasn't playing loud?

I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I asked if "update all presets" from the front panel changed any settings in the amp block.

I've noticed that this FW update doesn't automatically update the amp block in existing presets.

Sorry....I thought you was talking how to bring back the pre 12.04b tone on some existing presets. My presets were all "updated" with tube type and preamp sag on. I had a few presets to make the feel right for me in the past (which were basically doing the same thing as 12.04b does - these now having the double of it and sound aweful...I'm glad there is a trick to bring back the old feel, because this presets had just the right feel for me before....

Remember this?
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...wizardry-drive-preset-creation-soundclip.html

the soft high frequency saturation is possible with 12.04 . before I had to find other ways.....

What is your problem?!?!?!?! I have been playing bass, which is my main axe, since '67. I know what the F I am doing & I guaranty I can play circles around you! I know what I like & if you don't like it, too bad, Ignore me. All I am saying is the Axe has nearly every esoteric guitar amp, many of which most people have never even heard of, let alone played. Why not have that same level of quality for bass?

Quality is not just defined by a brand , it's defined by the performance how an artist can work with it. Personal taste is not tied to quality either......

I know Thomas Eich back from the time his brand was still named "TechAmps", that was 1997 when I started working as an amp technician freelancer. Since then many ( if not more than thousands I guess) of amps for guitar and bass where on my workbench in various stores and shops (now working for a distributor)- and I also know, quality is not always (or not only) tied to a brand name or specific parts (as the manufacturer/the company will make you want to believe......even a so called medicore product can make it big just because it gets you there you want to be....this happens more often than you could think of.

If your high confidence makes you feel you can play circles around me, then do it. I have no problems with it. There where much players around the corner who can play me in pieces, everywhere even the younger ones...IDC. It's not just about sports what makes you a musician ;)

cheers
Paco

Last edited:
Shadows sounds

Cliff, while I know this thread has stated this hundreds of times, 12.04beta is such an improvement, it's totally insane.

I play many Shadows hits whose sound was based on Meazzi tape echoes and occasional palm muting and the sound is alive with real feel and thump so close sounding to the original recordings using clean AC15, AC30/4 and AC30/6 (TB)

This FW produces the loudness and feel required when the gain is turned down, not unlike those early amps when overdriving was considered undesirable.

The tape multi delay now has greater low end impact due to the amp. Can't find enough time to play and enjoy.

Thanks so much for your efforts. I think a friend of a friend is likely to invest in an AxeFxII based on 12.03 soon so this latest version will have him grinning because he 's only heard my 12.03 version.

As mentioned above and on a wish list thread, adding an 8 head tape delay block would be the icing on the cake for me when you get round to it. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi Cliff,
I've had the 12.4B loaded for the last 3 or 4 days. This is the first time I've had a chance to sit down and try to articulate how pleasant it was the first time I cranked up the LF. I was chugging through some chords with the low E palm muting going... This feeling of satisfaction came over me. It was like letting out a breath I'd been holding for months. I shit you not... a little tear formed in the corner of my right eye. You've unlocked a magical element that has been missing and that is so welcome. The low end feels so right. I still have more messing around to do. But, this is significant.

Thank you for continuing to seek out those magical little nuances that while so subtle are so powerful and inspiring to this noodler... and likely to many others!

Thanks!

ED

Last edited:
Took 12.04b "as a blind date" to rehearsal yesterday night. After listening back to some on the fly recordings we made with a Zoom H2 the new beta FW definitely sounds good and well balanced. I have the feeling though the guitar is positionned a bit lower in the mix end even a bit scooped. But the scooped feeling maybe also is related to the use the enhancer block. While playing I had the feeling to walk a bit too much on the bass players frequency area and probably will integrate a bit more low cut. Also at start I had a bit a "blanket" feeling about the sound but when opening up a bit more this clearly is not the case. Am using an enhancer block in most of my patches and I feel that I'll have to adapt a bit the use of this block as for strong values it now seems to "hollow up" my sound. But maybe check my ears also..

Sounds great but it always has IMO.

I'm going to do some videos soon demonstrating this. I'm going to get Cooper to come up and tape it. I'll bring a couple amps to the studio and maybe a Pod HD and a Kemper and do some matches of them.

I think people just don't understand how to do it well enough so I want to do some video tutorials. I'll do it the "hard way" and then the "easy way".

I would find that really useful as I've tried tone matching a favourite preset from my POD X3 with limited success. Trouble is, most of the X3 preset tone comes from the drive block (or stomp box as they say).

Last edited:
Thanx it does sound and feel better. I like the recto more now.
I dont seem to be able change the presence though?? Sounds like its pretty full all the time.
??

The thing I don't get about the Adam Getgood ad is that, if I understand correctly, Nolly doesn't even use the single bass amp (excluding the actual Fender Bassman), the SVT, in his rig. He uses the Tube Pre for his clean signal, and the 5150 Blue channel for his extremely gritty mids. So unfortunately this ad doesn't give me much hope and faith that there are more bass amp models coming to my beloved Axe-fx II. I'm not all in a huff about it. I'm still loving the bass tones I'm able to get out of the unit but it would be super cool to be able to start somewhere other than the SVT for my DI low signal, because more flavors are always better!

12.04 beta is still rocking my socks! The difference really starts to mean something to me when it comes down to mixing time. The highs sizzle without hissing and building up alongside the cymbal frequencies. The lows are expansive, but aren't tubby. The amp has more of a positive bloom on each note as a result of both these factors, and things just sit tight - like a fat kid in a room alone with a cake. I still say this is the best musical purchase I've ever made.

Back
Top Bottom