Axe-Fx II Firmware 20.00 Public Beta

Just checking a couple things before I jump in the fray:

AxeEdit still works w/ 20beta, except for the new FW features?

Any big reasons NOT to upgrade, yet?

ive loaded the new FW20 and axe edit has refreshed but i dont have the new de-phase control or the preamp comp control

I may be in a minority here, but I gotta say, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, for the JMP1.

I didn't realize how much I missed, and loved that thing until I cranked up the OD2, I jammed on that for at least an hour before I actually listened to my patches to make sure the new firmware didn't do anything crazy to my patches.

The OD1 (no bass shift) is now my sound check amp, which is where I put what I think is the best first impression of the Axe at a show. I also swapped it into a patch that I was never totally happy with. It was close, but now it's perfect.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AxeEdit still works w/ 20beta, except for the new FW features?

Yes, Axe Edit still works, the only caveat being you can't access any new parameters added; these are accessible via front panel only.
For all other purposes Axe Edit still works fine

I may be in a minority here, but I gotta say, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU, for the JMP1.
Well... acording to some people here, the old G2 Brit Pre sounded so accurate, that in their opinion asking for G3fication of it was nothing but unreasonable whining and complaining. After all... "there are so many different amps in the box, that it's your problem if you can't get the proper tone" :lol

For me this update is the most important update so far since I bought an Axe-Fx in February - because of the JMP-1. I'd be delighted if it would also consist of clean channels of the JMP-1 instead of those non-BS models with Bass Shift as an additional option like Boost/Cut/Fat/Bright switches (maybe instead of Fat switch for example), that would be just perfect ;)

But I'm in a minority as well... and I like it 8)

Well... acording to some people here, the old G2 Brit Pre sounded so accurate, that in their opinion asking for G3fication of it was nothing but unreasonable whining and complaining. After all... "there are so many different amps in the box, that it's your problem if you can't get the proper tone" :lol

For me this update is the most important update so far since I bought an Axe-Fx in February - because of the JMP-1. I'd be delighted if it would also consist of clean channels of the JMP-1 instead of those non-BS models with Bass Shift as an additional option like Boost/Cut/Fat/Bright switches (maybe instead of Fat switch for example), that would be just perfect ;)

But I'm in a minority as well... and I like it 8)

Yeah, I had a real one for quite a while, at least 5 years, and never could get the "G2 JMP1" in the range of what I used to dial in on my real one.

I could get pretty close with the 50w plexi high, but it wasn't quite right. Not to knock that model, because I use it for other songs, and it's great for those. When I write a song, I usually get a pretty specific idea for what i want it to sound like, so "close" usually means I'm gonna tweak that tone every time I hear it.

As far as the "BS" models, I could do without them, I never used it on the real one either, but it would be nice if it was an on/off thing rather than a whole model to themselves.

I do agree, that the cleans on the JMP1 are pretty unique, but I never used them myself. I prefer "dirty" cleans, so I usually just set up a patch with the gain dialed way back in one of the OD channels, or just used a volume pedal.

As far as the "BS" models, I could do without them, I never used it on the real one either, but it would be nice if it was an on/off thing rather than a whole model to themselves.

I do agree, that the cleans on the JMP1 are pretty unique, but I never used them myself. I prefer "dirty" cleans, so I usually just set up a patch with the gain dialed way back in one of the OD channels, or just used a volume pedal.
too late now. you know what's gonna happen if Cliff removes the BS models :) . personally, I never used bass shift on a real JMP-1 either. same thing goes for the clean channels. I preferred the OD channels with gain dialed way back. still, those clean channels are pretty nice and kinda unique. wouldn't mind seeing them G3'd...

I used both clean channels , worked well! OD1 was the most useful for me !

I need to play with OD1, I reallyED like both the OD channels back when it was my main tone. With this update, though, I went straight for OD2, cause I knew it would be the perfect tone for one of our songs. I had tried every medium to medium high gain amp trying to get there, but I just couldn't make any of them do what I wanted. With most songs, I find the right amp character right away, and I may play with the EQ a bit over time, but the gain structure is spot on. I just wasn't getting that with this song until I popped in the OD2.

I'll probably find a good reason to use the OD1, eventually.

Well... acording to some people here, the old G2 Brit Pre sounded so accurate, that in their opinion asking for G3fication of it was nothing but unreasonable whining and complaining.

That was only after "some people" said the G2 sounded good too, and you took that as an insult..Relax , not picking but every ones ears are a bit different, and that's ok too, right? :pride:

Last edited:
Relax , not picking but every ones ears are a bit different, and that's ok too, right? :pride:
Well... that's exactly what I've said in that other thread. I guess the JMP-1 had to be eventually released in G3 for you to acknowledge the fact, that G2 version didn't exactly managed to sound like the reference model :p

As for CL1/CL2 channels of the JMP-1...
I totally agree with BrainalLeakage that they are very unique. I've used them a lot when I've had a rack rig and absolutely loved them. So warm and creamy on both neck/bridge pickups. They have something so distinctive in their tone that I just wasn't able to replicate with any other Marshall available in the Axe-Fx. Instant clean Maiden tones... something I'm still hunting for in my black box. Not to mention that they are also breaking up beautifully when cranked. For crunchy tones I've preferred Clean channels with gain @ 20 than OD1 with low gain settings.

Really... an amazing piece of equipment, a 100% worth of modeling from A to Z :)

All I know is that this "epiphany" is one that I feel truly feel is an epiphany! It is reminiscent of a frosty glass of ice cold effervescence trickling down your throat on a hot summers day. Thanks for thinking like you do Cliff! Evidently vacations are good for you!

Had an epiphany late last week. Pulled a few 2:00 am coding sessions and here ya go:

BACK UP YOUR PRESETS.

Mark I/II:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/20.0/axefx2_20p00beta1.zip

XL:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/20.0/axefx2_xl_20p00beta1.zip

XL+:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/20.0/axefx2_xlplus_20p00beta1.zip

Versus the 19.01 beta there is now no lag between X/Y switching on the cab block, even when using De-Phase. Amp X/Y switching should be faster and scene changes should be faster. Most importantly though it sounds really good.

EDIT: Beta1 is now up which fixes the crashing issue.

I didn't see any mention of whether this will work with the current version of Axe Edit, this would be good info to have in the main FW release post.

Back
Top Bottom