Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.12 Released

I have a Klon that I've used into the front of the Axe FX.. I was able to adjust the FET drive block to get something better than what the Klon could do. I use that as my clean boost on almost every preset. The Klon is one pedal I don't need when using the Axe..

I have a Klon that I've used into the front of the Axe FX.. I was able to adjust the FET drive block to get something better than what the Klon could do. I use that as my clean boost on almost every preset. The Klon is one pedal I don't need when using the Axe..

but Dude.... the Klon!.....

or maybe that should read

but duuuuuuuude..... the Klooooooooooooon!!!.....

;)

Is FW 18.12 ok with AE 3.1.10 ?
Shame on me...still at 18.07 ;)
Everything works except for the new export function for IR and patch which hasn't been implemented yet. It will just ask for you to update the blocks which it does automatically.

I did the buy/sell/trade thing with boost, overdrive, fuzz, and compressor pedals for a few years - mostly boutique stuff. Buying low and selling high made it possible to try pretty much everything without spending much more than my initial purchases. Looking at the circuits that were not gooped it became readily apparent that there's not much new under the sun (clones and variants of the Rat, Range Master, Big Muff, Fuzz Face, DynaComp, Orange Squeezer, Bluesbreaker, Tube Screamer TS9 & TS808, and others). There are some unique circuits out there but they'd be more the exception than the rule.

After playing through so many (and seeing inside a fair number among them) I decided to start building my own as a hobby. I'd build commonly used circuits (TS808, Bluesbreaker, Big Muff, etc.) and tweak them to suit my playing style well. Those that turned out really well I made schematics and project build diagrams for and posted the projects online (forums, etc) for free DIY use, sometimes posting sound samples to accompany the project.

The purpose of posting the projects and associated media was to further dispel the notion that circuits can have 'Mojo'. Though in conversation it quite often led to a a less mythical view of many hyped pedals (I was sure to help maintain a healthy respect for boutique pedal builders regardless of the communities hype - these guys are most often building out of love for the activity and a passion for music and the tools used I it's creation - I guess this described me well too) it also led quite unintentionally to me building pedals for others for the cost of parts and a cheap labor rate. I fell ill not long after and had to quit building them.

On an up-note this same condition led me to the decision to buy an AxeFX and sell my amps. The AxeFX is the single best music related purchase I have ever made!

The pedal circuits I worked on were mainly to replace my favorites among the many boutique circuits that stayed on my pedal board for any stretch of time with similar circuits tweaked to be improved versions for my preferences and playing style. It didn't take me long to completely repopulate my board with pedals I built for myself (save for a Turbo Tuner and one particularly great sounding '70s MXR' script logo' Phase 45). After buying the AxeFX there seemed little to no chance that any of these would see use again so I sold all of my custom builds and kept only the prototypes for circuits I built for sale, the Turbo Tuner, and the Phase 45.

That was perhaps more long-winded than necessary considering what my primary thought driving this post, which was:

The Klon was among the many boutique pedals I'd tried out while buying and selling and it left me less than impressed. Yes - it certainly affected the signal in a nice way but no better than a half dozen other pedals commonly used as a signal boost (IMHO of course). In short: the Klon hype was/is lost on me. To my liking there are several approaches to modding the much loved TS808 Tube Screamer circuit to achieve results that equal (as in equally as pleasing) or even surpass those achieved using a Klon (my favorite approach being aTS808 with the transistor I/O buffers removed, a dual opamp I swap from the JRC4558 to a Burr Brown OPA2134PA, clipping diodes swapped for red LED's, and a few passive component changes to change the circuits EQ'ing).

A later attempt to build a Klon (once the circuit became known) led me to the same conclusion: the Klon is not for me.

One man's garbage is anothers treasure. My opinion isn't necessarily right for anyone except me.

I think he would have added a klon if he could have long ago. Seems obvious as a tube screamer at this point to model.

i really dont understand people who needs tweaking all their patches after every update. since the first day i got my axe i never had to tweak any of my presets so for me its just ''load and go'' and after the update my presets sound the same or better but not anything else..

Do you use any presets that have distortion?? I think it's impossible otherwise.

I think he would have added a klon if he could have long ago. Seems obvious as a tube screamer at this point to model.

I think it's not so much that he can't it's more so he doesn't want to deal with the headache of people saying it doesn't sound exactly like theirs And complaining endlessly.

Last edited:
I did the buy/sell/trade thing with boost, overdrive, fuzz, and compressor pedals for a few years - mostly boutique stuff. Buying low and selling high made it possible to try pretty much everything without spending much more than my initial purchases. Looking at the circuits that were not gooped it became readily apparent that there's not much new under the sun (clones and variants of the Rat, Range Master, Big Muff, Fuzz Face, DynaComp, Orange Squeezer, Bluesbreaker, Tube Screamer TS9 & TS808, and others). There are some unique circuits out there but they'd be more the exception than the rule.

After playing through so many (and seeing inside a fair number among them) I decided to start building my own as a hobby. I'd build commonly used circuits (TS808, Bluesbreaker, Big Muff, etc.) and tweak them to suit my playing style well. Those that turned out really well I made schematics and project build diagrams for and posted the projects online (forums, etc) for free DIY use, sometimes posting sound samples to accompany the project.

The purpose of posting the projects and associated media was to further dispel the notion that circuits can have 'Mojo'. Though in conversation it quite often led to a a less mythical view of many hyped pedals (I was sure to help maintain a healthy respect for boutique pedal builders regardless of the communities hype - these guys are most often building out of love for the activity and a passion for music and the tools used I it's creation - I guess this described me well too) it also led quite unintentionally to me building pedals for others for the cost of parts and a cheap labor rate. I fell ill not long after and had to quit building them.

On an up-note this same condition led me to the decision to buy an AxeFX and sell my amps. The AxeFX is the single best music related purchase I have ever made!

The pedal circuits I worked on were mainly to replace my favorites among the many boutique circuits that stayed on my pedal board for any stretch of time with similar circuits tweaked to be improved versions for my preferences and playing style. It didn't take me long to completely repopulate my board with pedals I built for myself (save for a Turbo Tuner and one particularly great sounding '70s MXR' script logo' Phase 45). After buying the AxeFX there seemed little to no chance that any of these would see use again so I sold all of my custom builds and kept only the prototypes for circuits I built for sale, the Turbo Tuner, and the Phase 45.

That was perhaps more long-winded than necessary considering what my primary thought driving this post, which was:

The Klon was among the many boutique pedals I'd tried out while buying and selling and it left me less than impressed. Yes - it certainly affected the signal in a nice way but no better than a half dozen other pedals commonly used as a signal boost (IMHO of course). In short: the Klon hype was/is lost on me. To my liking there are several approaches to modding the much loved TS808 Tube Screamer circuit to achieve results that equal (as in equally as pleasing) or even surpass those achieved using a Klon (my favorite approach being aTS808 with the transistor I/O buffers removed, a dual opamp I swap from the JRC4558 to a Burr Brown OPA2134PA, clipping diodes swapped for red LED's, and a few passive component changes to change the circuits EQ'ing).

A later attempt to build a Klon (once the circuit became known) led me to the same conclusion: the Klon is not for me.

One man's garbage is anothers treasure. My opinion isn't necessarily right for anyone except me.

The less knowledge and understanding one has; the more they are akin to believe in magic and "mojo"

If you understand circuits, have built and modded your own pedals etc, they really become just simple circuits inside boxes with fancy paint and gimmicky names for often crazy markups. If you have no clue about how any of that works, that $1000 pedal is magically going to have more "mojo" than the $45 DIY pedal that sits in an plain steel Hammond style enclosure.

I mean look at some of those "builders' who have taken existing circuits and rehoused them and doubled the price. The masses on gear forums would rant and rave about how great they sounded, sometimes even comparing it to the product the circuit board was pulled from. People totally believed the hype and make themselves believe the pedal was doing something unique.

It wasn't and never did.

...there are several approaches to modding the much loved TS808 Tube Screamer circuit to achieve results that equal ... or even surpass those achieved using a Klon

(my favorite approach being aTS808 with the transistor I/O buffers removed, a dual opamp I swap from the JRC4558 to a Burr Brown OPA2134PA, clipping diodes swapped for red LED's, and a few passive component changes to change the circuits EQ'ing).
And then shipping my creation to Fractal for duplication....*wink wink*

So I just got back from vacation and updated my Axe Fx from 18.8 to 18.12. Maybe I've just been away long enough to where I'm listening at a clearer perspective, but the "tube squishi-ness" seems to be SUPER apparent now. Something that was somewhat apparent but not even more so is on par with the real thing.
Did that just happen with the whole "cathode squish" deal? I don't really understand the technical aspects of what the update did. I thought it was going to be a minor difference but it really squishes like a tube amp!! And it definitely has some more clarity to it too!

And then shipping my creation to Fractal for duplication....*wink wink*

This had never occurred to me prior to your post. I'll contact Cliff to see if he might be interested in adding a new pedal to the Drive block.

The circuit described in my earlier post is, with the exception of the omission of the I/O transistor buffers, a Clay Jones Overdrive pedal (a much hyped circuit for with a limited run of fifty pedals were made for the first fifty to jump on the waiting list) .The Clay Jones OD is a direct copy of the Landgraff L'DO permanently set to the L'DO's 'Marshall' mode (red LED clippers) , and a change in dial OP amp's from the JRC4558D to the Burr Brown OPA2134PA. I may be mistaken but I would guess that the 'T808 Mod' pedal in the drive block is the Landgraff L'DO. This seems to be the most popular of the TS808 mods (unless this has changed since 2009).

With this in mind (and as I honestly believe I have a circuit far more interesting (and much more versatile) than any of the TS808 mods. It's based on the Marshall Bluesbreaker Overdrive pedal circuit with some tweaks taken from AnalogMan's 'King of Tone' pedal (the KOT is a Bluesbreaker variant), a couple of my own tweaks and an adjuatable 'Presence' circuitI works as well as a clean boost as it does as a dedicated drive pedal, and it's so versatile. I'll contact Cliff to see if he's interested in adding this circuit to the Drive block.

Last edited:
check this out, its most likely the very best overdrive ive ever tried to date, and ive tried them ALL. You got to give it a go. As pure as they come with a real organic tone shift circuit. Makes the old vintage so called holy grail TS808 old news. All the parts are genuine vintage. http://jdanalog.webs.com/

Back
Top Bottom