Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.08 Released

Definitely liking the G3 Badger 30; tried it out and saved a patch that I'm going to use this weekend. Has a nice, full bodied tone that works well with a single coil neck pickup...great amp.

Found the IIC+ as difficult to dial in as people claimed (not complaining though, realism is cool lol) but its certainly a change of pace from a Marshall style amp, or a Fender style for that matter, where you can just set everything at noon and have a pretty good tone.

Totally different animal, but has lots of potential. Seems like it will be great for some singing leads, though not sure if it will unseat my favorite to the date, the Tucana..... Man, that amp is just awesome. Out of everything in the Axe, if I had to pick just one hardware amp to buy, Carol Ann would totally get my money

Definitely liking the G3 Badger 30; tried it out and saved a patch that I'm going to use this weekend. Has a nice, full bodied tone that works well with a single coil neck pickup...great amp.

I love the badger 30. Goes from innocuous cleans that I can get to ring out piano like, and then just bump the drive a bit and it goes crunchy. Using creambacks personally, h75 in the bogner from ownhammer.

What IR did you use?

Ahh can't remember exactly and have the AFX shut down now, but it was one of the new factory UR cabs from Cab Pack 10 (the new ones in the first few factory cab slots). I found two of those I liked with mildly overdriven amps and put them in CAB X/Y. I'll have a look the next time I fire it up...

Not sure exactly what is different but 18.08 just has a different feel. I'm terrible at descriptions, but it seems to leap out at you with much more authority. Whatever it is it's better! Nice work guys!

Found the IIC+ as difficult to dial in as people claimed (not complaining though, realism is cool lol) but its certainly a change of pace from a Marshall style amp, or a Fender style for that matter, where you can just set everything at noon and have a pretty good tone.

Totally different animal, but has lots of potential. Seems like it will be great for some singing leads, though not sure if it will unseat my favorite to the date, the Tucana..... Man, that amp is just awesome. Out of everything in the Axe, if I had to pick just one hardware amp to buy, Carol Ann would totally get my money

I was the opposite, but I set it up the way people typically set Mark series amps. IIC+ Deep, Gain 7-ish, OD 10, Low bass and mids, higher treble (depending on how much gain I wanted), presence neutral, and soft smiley on the graphic. I used the stock 1x12 Bludotone cab and it just kills. Crushing high-gain rhythm sound to searing liquid lead. I love it, and I'm more of a Marshall guy than Mesa these days. So, so easy to play, too.

After reading the horror stories about dialing in a good tone on the IIC+ I was prepared for the worst. However, it turned out to be as easy as pi r squared. I'm a fusion guy, so this won't work if you're a headbanger. ....

Well that's the thing. I think the difficulty comes from trying to incorporate the 5-band graphic EQ and trying to get a good heavy sound that's not too scooped and thin sounding, but also not too mid heavy and "honky". Getting those faders set-up just right with how you set all the other controls and switches and then getting the tone you are looking for out of all that can be a daunting task (and that's without even mentioning whatever IR you've chosen out of all the thousands of possibilities).

Cool. Looks like my ears were right when I found the BRT/DP the closest model to 18.07 IIC+ ... I set my master around 3 as well. Will try 4 today

New Axe FX owner here, had it almost two weeks. Loving the Mark IIC+ model. I have a Mark V tube head and 2x12, I love it, but the sweet spot on channel 3 is far too loud for most of my current purposes, hence the move to the Axe. Absolutely loving the Axe FX.

So far my favorites are the Fender Twin, the Triaxis (USA Pre) and the IIC+

Loving the sound of the IIC+! Had a strange error message when loading the firmware saying that I may have switched the Axe Fx into some sort of mode (can't remember the exact message now). Either way it caused the update to fail. Tried reloading the firmware a second time and it worked fine. Didn't change any settings in the meantime. Weird.

I've just had my own personal nightmare upgrading straight from Firmware V15 to V18. I had to wait a while because I had a few gigs to play and wasn't sure what would happen.

Basically it's worth making a backup of your presets before you update the firmware. I took a bunch of screen shots of my Global Amps to see why this was happening and the Dynamic Depth was reduced to zero after the update. Some other settings on some other amps also required a tweak or two. Master volume trim etc.

I had to roll back to V15 to take the screen shots. When I did this all of the patches I had tweaked and saved disappeared, but thankfully they reappeared after I upgraded back to 18.

I think the moral of all this is to back stuff up before you update, even if that means taking seven screen shots per amp model. It takes a lot of tweaks to get right so it's definitely worth the hassle :encouragement:

Do you mean that it can be an error during installation of the firmware? I did it twice, may be try to install an update again?

Loving the sound of the IIC+! Had a strange error message when loading the firmware saying that I may have switched the Axe Fx into some sort of mode (can't remember the exact message now). Either way it caused the update to fail. Tried reloading the firmware a second time and it worked fine. Didn't change any settings in the meantime. Weird.

I got the same error message when I first uploaded the firmware.
The axe fx 2 went it self in Firmware update mode. Just hit Exit and update again

(In earlier days that was mandatory before updates, utility-->firmware-->Enter )

I'm digging the new II C+ a lot here!
I was just jamming for a few minutes and came up with a cool sound for a metal type riff crunch!
Tried this with an EMG equipped guitar which helps get the crunchies!
Settings:

USA IIC+ Brt/Dp
Input drive 7.17
Overdrive 9.13 (adjust according to guitar)
Bass 2.05
Mid 2.60
Treb 7.24
Presence 6.85
MV 3.46
Level -10.6
5 Band (Mark) 240 at -5.39, 750 at -10.68 and 2200 at -5.20.
I used a stock Cab (4x12 Ck USA Trad 57-121 (UR))
28.3% room
Modern preamp at HQ.
Drive and Sat at 1.

Let me know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom