Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.07 Released

Didn't have an opportunity to do any sort of direct comparison but this sound great! Thanks again Cliff! :)

I'm still really new to the axe and FW 18 came out only a few weeks after I bought my XL, so I never had the URs before they were "broken" so to speak. I also have pretty bad hearing. Even so I seem to be able to pick up on a good bit of difference since the fix. Before 18.07 came out, I felt somewhat confused that I wasn't getting on as well as I thought I would with the OH K-100 pack that I bought. I have K-100s in my main stage cab and I always loved them, but they didn't seem to do the trick as well in my XL. Tonight I was messing around with the Fryette D60 M and I couldn't get the low end where I wanted it. I decided to revisit the K-100s, and it was right on the money! Nice and percussive, no flub. Maybe I am making too much of it, since I also have been learning to dial in the gain settings a lot better, but things just seem slightly more alive now. Not that they weren't already better than any other processor I've played, but now I'm even happier!

This is it! I have finally arrived, my tone is simply amazing and I don't think I will ever need to update again (unless new features are added of course). :D

Thank you FAS!!

I'm still really new to the axe and FW 18 came out only a few weeks after I bought my XL, so I never had the URs before they were "broken" so to speak. I also have pretty bad hearing. Even so I seem to be able to pick up on a good bit of difference since the fix. Before 18.07 came out, I felt somewhat confused that I wasn't getting on as well as I thought I would with the OH K-100 pack that I bought. I have K-100s in my main stage cab and I always loved them, but they didn't seem to do the trick as well in my XL. Tonight I was messing around with the Fryette D60 M and I couldn't get the low end where I wanted it. I decided to revisit the K-100s, and it was right on the money! Nice and percussive, no flub. Maybe I am making too much of it, since I also have been learning to dial in the gain settings a lot better, but things just seem slightly more alive now. Not that they weren't already better than any other processor I've played, but now I'm even happier!

LOL I just wonder with this wife in your avatar how you could afford an XL - just kidding :pride: I like your avatar and I think we all experienced this porblem...

With all the dithyrambic comments about constant improvements achieved from the start and with this issue from 16.03, can't help thinking how subjective is the brain perception of sound.

When I read the comment by Cliff, "Turns out UltraRes has been broke since Version 16.03", I thought the same thing. I also think about how much FAS touted the latest Cab Pack as amazing and claimed that those IRs were pure golden.

Honestly, you have to take 90% of what's said on this forum with a grain of salt. Every single new firmware comes with an avalanche of praise over how the "tone is finally there" or whatnot, as if it wasn't there before. It's awesome that we get constant updating for free but the persistent, hyperbolic praise is what goes into those "drinking the koolaid" comments.
Yes I understand that, but I said FAS in my comment, not the community. Cliff made those claims about Cab Pack 10 himself before this discovery. I'm not trying to upset Cliff or anyone else, but it just makes me wonder how much is hype and self-promotion.

Much respect for Cliff and Fractal. Any other company would have handled this differently out of fear. Ears are funny and although I could tell something wasn't quite right, I chose to enjoy the patches that worked and ignored some of my old favorites that didn't work anymore. It seems with any new FW comes a period of excitement, some complaints then a period of refinement that brings the whole package together and makes it easier to work.

Thanks to all involved! The steady march toward tube goodness in a 2 rack space continues and I'm very happy to witness the evolution of tone.

Yes I understand that, but I said FAS in my comment, not the community. Cliff made those claims about Cab Pack 10 himself before this discovery. I'm not trying to upset Cliff or anyone else, but it just makes me wonder how much is hype and self-promotion.

I think it's ok to blow your own horn if you have a product that is on the cutting edge of technology. If there is one thing you should know from being a member here since 2010 is that Cliff is a straight shooter. If he hypes something it's because it's changing his product for the better, and it's silly to think there wouldn't be a few bugs here and there.

I think it's ok to blow your own horn if you have a product that is on the cutting edge of technology. If there is one thing you should know from being a member here since 2010 is that Cliff is a straight shooter. If he hypes something it's because it's changing his product for the better, and it's silly to think there wouldn't be a few bugs here and there.
Well, at the end of the day I'm just glad we have an open forum. This mistake wouldn't have been found if it weren't for a few forum members. If no one spoke up, we'd still be operating with a flawed software.

When I read the comment by Cliff, "Turns out UltraRes has been broke since Version 16.03", I thought the same thing. I also think about how much FAS touted the latest Cab Pack as amazing and claimed that those IRs were pure golden.
Spoken like someone who's never tried Cab Pack 10. :)

Just updated from 18.06 to 18.07, damn the big sound is back, but also leads me to use the Amp poweramp hardness at 5 on the 5153 Red again anyhow, this update was a dramatic tone change for me, the 5153 default poweramp now is back to 3(med) as well instead of at 4 like in 18.04 .06.

From the overall sound this update reminds me a lot on FW 16, perhaps a little improved for sure. Sadly there's something back in the 5150 model tone that I didnt liked in the past, i dont know exactly to describe, loved them in 18.00-.06, they sounded more real to me.
Perhaps it's the fixed Cab issue that changing it much to me.

Why theres isn't a poweramp hardness change note in the release notes?

What I also noticed is after done Update amp defaults in Utility the amp sound changed a bit, not when I re-selected the Amp in my preset before, little confused.

Don't get me wrong I love the new sound back in this update, thats nice, just wanted to say that it was kinda a big change for me.

When there was the issue in the Cab block UR for longer time, did it influenced Cliff and the team by working,adjusting months on the G3 modeling in a way?

Well, I listen with my ears and freely admit I don't have the golden bat ears many seem to have. I felt Cab Pack 10 was an improvement and I really love the IR's in the pack. Now that a bug has been found with how UR IR's are processed within the Axe it simply moves the scale even more in a positive direction.

You can wonder all you wish about "hype and self-promotion" but what does that serve? Listen with your ears and decide for yourself. I will ask this though. Why would someone who is "hyping and self-promoting" a cab pack publicly comment that the bug has been around since 16.03? Wouldn't such a person just make the fix and implement it without any acknowledgement?

Regardless of what is stated by FAS, forum members, or anyone else the only person who can truly decide if any upgrade or add-on (cab packs) are an improvement is YOU.

Back
Top Bottom