Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.06 Released

I won't be able to update for a while can someone elaborate on what the Rich Hall verb does differently? I love better verbs.

I promised myself after gigging last weekend that I was not going to do anymore updates as my sound is right where I want it now. For the first time in a while I truly feel that the sound and feel is right where I want it to be and its inspiring to play. But god damit! Now I want to try this!

I worked with a longtime friend and client yesterday. He's an Axe-FX owner and user. He has been using presets and firmware from last September and is not a forum guy. He just plays, records and enjoys life. Great guy, brutally honest. He had been on firmware v.16.x

He had a bank of presets but especially 5 presets I had done for him that he loved; he wanted me to just update those and didn't want to lose anything from them with a full update to current, etc. on my recommendation. Fair enough.

Suffice to say he's on v.18.06 and has the new v.18.xx preset banks. His comments to me were that he now has a full bank of killer presets (the full factory banks) and wanted to know how the hell the same box could have been developed so notably - his words. He could not believe it. I didn't charge him a penny - the factory preset banks are that good.

All I can say is that this is Fractal Audio. Cliff is determined, driven and dedicated to taking whatever Fractal Audio hardware (or software, witness CabLab) platform and maximize the capabilities, versatility and return on investment for the guitarist of most any company I've ever seen.

He's set an example that even the biggest companies that make digital-based guitar processors now grudgingly try to follow - one of continued development, bug fixes and enhancements. It's changed the MI world. Find where this was considered 'normal' before Fractal Audio came on the scene. As a longtime beta team member, I've had a front-row seat to this.

Cliff and Fractal never rest on their laurels. That may or may not test your patience and comfort zone with a product. But after gigging this box (and it's predecessors) for 8 years this thing keeps surprising me with how it just keeps growing. A credo I follow is to only 'speak of what you know' from firsthand experience. I have a lot of gear that I know, trust and love to allow me - just a guy with a guitar that loves to play - to bring some joy into my life. I admire what is being done. Just an uplifting experience to plug in on the gig and make music. Gig after gig. Firsthand down in the trenches, real world, down-and-dirty nuts-and-bolts stuff. I'm not a rock star. I'm a nobody has-been never-was wanna-be. But my gear makes me feel like a rockstar. It's as if someone is constantly upgrading my rig and optimizing how and what it can do constantly for me. Because someone is. This average nobody is loving his rig because of what it is doing for me when I play music And that's good.

My sincerely felt opinion. V18.06 adds even more fun to the fun box.

All I can say is that this is Fractal Audio. Cliff is determined, driven and dedicated to taking whatever Fractal Audio hardware (or software, witness CabLab) platform and maximize the capabilities, versatility and return on investment for the guitarist of most any company I've ever seen.

Truth.

Thanks for sharing Scott! I am proud to be a part of this community!

Amen.

public.php

Cliff and Fractal never rest on their laurels. That may or may not test your patience and comfort zone with a product. But after gigging this box (and it's predecessors) for 8 years this thing keeps surprising me with how it just keeps growing. A credo I follow is to only 'speak of what you know' from firsthand experience. I have a lot of gear that I know, trust and love to allow me - just a guy with a guitar that loves to play - to bring some joy into my life. I admire what is being done. Just an uplifting experience to plug in on the gig and make music. Gig after gig. Firsthand down in the trenches, real world, down-and-dirty nuts-and-bolts stuff. I'm not a rock star. I'm a nobody has-been never-was wanna-be. But my gear makes me feel like a rockstar. It's as if someone is constantly upgrading my rig and optimizing how and what it can do constantly for me. Because someone is. This average nobody is loving his rig because of what it is doing for me when I play music And that's good.

My sincerely felt opinion. V18.06 adds even more fun to the fun box.

Scott, thank you for your post it was spot on and was so eloquently put! After selling off my touring rig in the 90's and picking up playing again in the 2000's, i've been buying gear searching for that mix of my tone & versatile F/X again, and just couldn't find it. This magical black box has done that for me and has put the joy back into playing for me.

Cheers Cliff - and thank you!

I won't be able to update for a while can someone elaborate on what the Rich Hall verb does differently? I love better verbs.

I only messed with it a bit last night, but the decay seems to have a different envelope. Sounds like it sort of fades into and out of the tail differently. Cool sound.

has the tone changed a little with 18.06?

something seems a little different and I'm not certain if it's me or the Axe..

I've only checked it out on patch so far (my Bludo Lead patch). It's sounds a bit gainier, and there's better definition on all the notes on my high E string.

I did miss that one. Tx for highlighting Chris.
Btw my post was not meant to be agressive nor an attack to Cliff. I do believe he and his team make the dream come true of each guitar player. I just play a lot of the Cure and they use a jazz120. Hence my wish not my request. So fas team do it whenever you feel up to it or have time. In the meantime I enjoy every second of my axe !

The G3'd Lonestar makes me a very happy chappie indeed. I'm going to have to dust off my actual Lonestar Special, but changing the tone stack to EL84 brings back memories of my real amp and just puts a massive grin on my face.

I've also bought a set of the Blue Mo-Fi headphones and now I can play as late as I like without disturbing the wife, I'm having to stop playing as my fingers hurt too much! I'm moving up from 15.04 directly to 18.06 and can't get over how much everything has changed. The continual improvements to the magical black box is simply astounding :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

had a chance to really play with 18.06 now..
yes there's a difference.. sound and feel..
it's absolutely beautiful…

Since the G3 updates I've been able to use amps that I previously never really understood. I previously never used the Mark IV model, but now it's probably my favourite amp. It's easy to get great tones out of so many of the amps.. it just makes practising so enjoyable. Practising on my old Marshall combo used to feel like a chore. Since buying my XL my passion for guitar has increased 100 fold. Picking up the guitar is a joy and it just keeps getting better. Very happy!

PS. The rich hall reverb is also a really nice addition :pride:

Question about the removal of resetting amp blocks in presets utility:
If this is removed how do i update all my 700 presets.? Or don't I need to.. ? I have a few presets that I have created that I have changed some of the advanced parameters.. Not to worried about having to redo them. But I am more concerned with getting the benefit of this update into all my presets.. ) some factory, some not , some I downloaded from preset exchange)
I was under the impression that once a new FW is installed, you need to go thru and reset/update all amp blocks in all presets so they function correctly. Is that not the case. ? This maybe stupid question.. but it is bothering me.. I dont want to have to go thru 700 or so presets and reset each amp block individually.. Thanks for any clarification on this you can give.

If your preset has not been saved after the introduction of fw 18.00 (G3), the preset (amp block) will be updated automatically upon recall, without user intervention. So no need to worry or to go through 700 presets.

OK.. But i am at 18.04 I think... should i manually update any that i have created since i installed 18.04 ? ( buy using utility or switch to different amp and then back ) or will they update as well when i install 18.07 Not a big deal.. just want to have the best sound in all presets that i can.
Thanks..

Back
Top Bottom