Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.04 Public Beta

I tried all three, but I need the Axe-II MKII

Now it downloads, but it's a single file that says it can't be opened by anything on my mac. It's usually a zip file.

EDIT: Oh it's a .syx file. I assume that means it's just the firmware, and not the usual everything file.
Load it with Fractal-Bot, same as always. :)

I'm hopeful you are right. It's definitely cool for some amps/tones. I wonder though, which preamp modelling is theoretically more accurate? Or is it not that simple?

I don't think it is that simple, but I could be wrong.

I prefer to think of it as rolling different tubes. NOS Mullard vs Current Mullard. Tung-sol vs JJ etc.

Even in real amps different brand tubes yield different tones and can change the character of the breakup. I treat it like this and flick through to see which one fits best.

I'm sure whichever one is theoretically more accurate will become the default setting by Cliff in subsequent FW releases, but having the ability to tweak this parameter is great!

Same here - I could not hear any difference at all between the 3 settings after playing Recto, AC, JVM patches each through monitors, FR Cabs, and headphones in sequence and using looper positioned at beginning of chain to play a riff and then listen as I alternate between the 3 settings.

Any advice on what I should be listening for?

Thumbs up on 5153blue.

nor me..
I've only had time for a very brief play with it [5153Red, Herbert ch3, JCM800] and I can't honestly say that I heard or felt much of a difference..
maybe it was my amp choices..
maybe it's cos I generally use way to much gain..
or maybe it's just too subtle for my hearing to pick out..

that said..
the new 50W 5153Blue does stand out..
and it is absolutely wonderful..

The 'Test' preamp tube modeling sounds great! Thanks for posting a beta Cliff! :)

For those into the Dumble ODS type amps the new preamp tube modeling is a treat!

Last edited:
For those that can't hear it, to me it's very subtle, but going Test, Modern, Vintage, it gets ever so slightly more dull. Which could be either a good or bad thing, depending on what you like. Personally, I preferred the ever so slightly sharper tone on Test for everything I use, but most of my songs need as much shimmer on the highs as I can get without being harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subtle?? Hm. It's a big difference between Vintage and the other two. Modern and test are more similar, but there is a clear difference, at least on my speakers.

It may depend on the amp and ir chosen though,

It's also much easier to hear against something, i.e. listening to it in a mix. At least that's how my ears work.

Subtle?? Hm. It's a big difference between Vintage and the other two. Modern and test are more similar, but there is a clear difference, at least on my speakers.

Agreed ! Big Difference !!!

nor me..
I've only had time for a very brief play with it [5153Red, Herbert ch3, JCM800] and I can't honestly say that I heard or felt much of a difference..
maybe it was my amp choices..
maybe it's cos I generally use way to much gain..
or maybe it's just too subtle for my hearing to pick out..

that said..
the new 50W 5153Blue does stand out..
and it is absolutely wonderful..

Clarky try doing some palm mutes. That is where I heard it most clearly on the high gain amps anyway.

Any update coming on AXE-Edit for the "Preamp Tube Type" parameter

Probably not until Cliff decides if he wants to keep all those modes of operation permanently.

Remember, this is currently beta, and by virtue of one of the modes being called "TEST", it remains to be seen whether this sticks or not.

Absolutely loving Test. I still like Modern too. I would actually like to see another type added that has a little more saturation than Test; somewhere between Test and Modern. Cliff, you can call that one Heaven!

Vintage seemed nearly useless in my own testing as the change from it to Modern were too indistinct to really matter. Changing to Test was a real difference in the enriched harmonic content which really played well with clean to mid gainish patches, but personally didn't find useful for high gain ones where Modern was the best fit.

Subtle?? Hm. It's a big difference between Vintage and the other two. Modern and test are more similar, but there is a clear difference, at least on my speakers. It may depend on the amp and ir chosen though,

I hear very big differences, especially in the high mids and highs, and just in how the amp responds to playing. I end up using this parameter a lot in conjunction with changing from authentic/ideal/smooth and so forth. My ZZ tone is back in the wreck with vintage/authentic, where my Dumble tone prefers test/smooth.

There are a LOT of parameters to tweak, but this one seems very useful.

Back
Top Bottom