Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.04 Public Beta

No. The "Vintage" Preamp Tube Type is similar to the algorithm used in 17.xx. There are many other differences between 17.xx and 18.xx. Specifically "Vintage" sets the shape of the triode algorithm waveshaper to be the same as 17.xx but the fundamental algorithm is still different. In the Axe-Fx triodes are modeled as more than just a waveshaper. The waveshaper is only part of the algorithm. The Vintage type uses the same waveshaper as 17.xx. 18.00 used a new waveshaper which is called "Modern" in this beta firmware. "Test" is a new waveshaper I've been working on that has a different saturation model.

Everything changed in 18.xx, the triode algorithms, the power amp amp algorithms and most of the models were updated.

It awesome to have access to the different versions, I think they are all really useful for certain situations.

Finally got to try the preamp tube types and I love it. At least on the amps I used this evening (which was a much smaller sampling than I expected, just because it was hard to stop playing), I'm falling for the new "Test" feel. For what its worth, I hope this "choice" will stay for all times.

Cheers,

Lee

How about an advanced setting that switches through all previous firmwares and that way you wouldn't have to load old firmware back and forth, you could just flip through them all. Probably not enough memory for that though.

this sounds awesome. I was wondering about the changing modeling version vs. changing preamp tube thing as well, glad it's sorted out.

speaking of preamp tubes, in a funny way - at this point it strikes me that having a menu list of options to choose Mullard, JJ, Ruby, Telefunken, JAN, 12ax7, EL84, or whatever - tube for the drive block, preamp, power amp and reverb etc. - is something that would take the axe-fx II to the next step. I know what you're thinking, one can't hear the difference, it's not necesarry etc. but don't forget how the mind of a guitarist/musician works, it's just as much about peace of mind as it is about great sound (gas), I mean think about it.

If chuckleheads are asking "but can you have a Mullard in the drive pedal, Ruby in the pre and KT88 in the power amp" and the answer is no, some would say that this is possible with real amps etc. - but! I do get that this unit was not made for purists (?) and I'm not trying to make trouble, and I know it's been mentioned before, but I really do believe
that if the goal is to have a lot of options and "catch em' all" this would be a great thing to look into.

I think that for people to *know* (peace of mind) that a Mullard has been modeled and is now selectable to have in the drive block model (you have the physical version of at home) this would complete the circle once and for all. one ring to rule them all, eh, never mind, but yeah.

I do however understand if this would be too much work, not enough space etc. - I just hope that we can all agree on this, to be able to select the tubes you want in each stage of the tube signal chain would be a dream come true for many, even though they can't hear the difference between two or many of the tubes.

Call it placebo, but I don't think the power of placebo should be underestimated. If there's no time/space/point in doing this, at least there's always the placebo option of just implementing a menu of tube icons in axe-edit, haha :D

just sharing some thoughts, I don't want trouble, lol. halp! :lol :roll :D :angel: :encouragement::anonymous::lemo::playful::victorious::fat::joyous::excitement::abnormal:

at this point it strikes me that having a menu list of options to choose Mullard, JJ, Ruby, Telefunken, JAN, 12ax7, EL84, or whatever - tube for the drive block, preamp, power amp and reverb etc. - is something that would take the axe-fx II to the next step.
I don't care for brand, but different type... 12ax7, 12au7, 12ay7... even EF86... :) I agree similar result could be obtain messing with gain, eq, drive, trim, cut, boost, filter, a bit of overdrive, & so on... but sometimes guitarist needs solid real reference for tone...

I don't care for brand, but different type... 12ax7, 12au7, 12ay7... even EF86... :) I agree similar result could be obtain messing with gain, eq, drive, trim, cut, boost, filter, a bit of overdrive, & so on... but sometimes guitarist needs solid real reference for tone...

yeah right? :D I'm sure some guitarists change tubes more often than they messs with cut, boost, eq, and so on. If it sounds the same as a tube replacement using only cut, boost, eq, then it would be possible to have a tube list based on those parameters and not a model of a tube see what I'm saying?

I think folks would love to change into a 12ax7 and get the sound of one not even knowing how it's done. if it sounds like a 12ax7 then it is a 12ax7? that's how the modeling works anyhow - it's not a Dumble, but it sounds like one - that's why a tube list would be awesome :)

I tried the preamp tubes yesterday and you can hear the difference. My only concern is what will come of "test" later. Will it simply be renamed or fail and vanish.

I'm liking Test a lot myself , maybe it's just me, but has a little thump going on when changing patches when test is selected ,changing between patches with test have a small thump ,changing to a patch with a different type , pretty loud thump !
Anyone else experience this ?

I guess this is where my headphones falls off the wagon, I'm sure I would be more suited to hear the differences if I were using FRFR or a cab with some volume. Headphones don't really push that much air and I can't get a feel of the preamp tubes. from a short test I really could not tell the difference between the three. It could be because of the preset or volume or whatever. I need a great FRFR and a room to let this monster sing it's song.

I feel like I'm keeping a nice car in the garage, looking at it through the window imagining how it would feel like to drive it outside in the sun on an actual road, lol.

I'm liking Test a lot myself , maybe it's just me, but has a little thump going on when changing patches when test is selected ,changing between patches with test have a small thump ,changing to a patch with a different type , pretty loud thump !
Anyone else experience this ?

Some amps have a VERY loud thump when changing to vintage or test. ODS clean, USA clean just about knocked me off my seat. Fortunately, I was not playing loud! Might have fried my speakers if I was playing through studio monitors. Also the AC30 models have a rumbling sound in the background when switched to vintage or test. I generally preferred modern or vintage but test is nice to clear up dark amps & adds a nice sparkle to clean amps.

That kind of switch would be very nice ,to have possibility to change old and new Firmwares. But i have feelings that this will not come there but who knows ,but thinking that feature sounds very very nice thought. Or i would like to see even some possibility to buy all new effects and amps which comes in latest Firmwares ,without moving in the new Firmwares to keep all simply and having some fun whit all new amps and effects.

How about an advanced setting that switches through all previous firmwares and that way you wouldn't have to load old firmware back and forth, you could just flip through them all. Probably not enough memory for that though.

My thoughts - Test worked well for clean to mid-breakup amps. It has more squish than Modern. The difference between the two is not as apparent when the preamp is not heavily distorting. In other words, I could hear a much bigger difference on a high gain amp (Savage) than on an AC30, and for high gain I didn't like Test that much. It seemed to get too hollow and weak sounding in a mix. For the AC30TB I preferred Test.

Regarding the thump - it is Beta after all. I'm sure Cliff was well aware of the thump before releasing it to us. Let's just be thankful that we get the opportunity to try it and give our feedback on tone/feel.

I really could not tell the difference between the three

Same here - I could not hear any difference at all between the 3 settings after playing Recto, AC, JVM patches each through monitors, FR Cabs, and headphones in sequence and using looper positioned at beginning of chain to play a riff and then listen as I alternate between the 3 settings.

Any advice on what I should be listening for?

Thumbs up on 5153blue.

On what? All 3 links from the first post worked for me just now.

I tried all three, but I need the Axe-II MKII

Now it downloads, but it's a single file that says it can't be opened by anything on my mac. It's usually a zip file.

EDIT: Oh it's a .syx file. I assume that means it's just the firmware, and not the usual everything file.

Back
Top Bottom