Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.01 Released

Everyone here must forgive my slowness. Can someone please explain this word clock business? I don't really mess with all that spdif stuff so do I have to adjust anything?

Thank you much for a the hard work fractal team. Can't wait to give it a shot. I have a stupid question, what are "word clocks"?

I've never heard of the :/

It just keeps getting better. Axe II.......on my top 3 best investments ever list. Thanks FAS for the tireless pursuit to improve the product and for providing endless value add all included in the original ticket price.

No. The default is 0 dB. If you do a reset of the system parameters it'll end up at 0 dB.

Thanks , My Axe shows WordClock = AUTO as it is supposed to be by default and USB Return LVL = -60 db ... I've supposed that was a really weird value as" default " .
Thanks again , pretty stoked by this huge release ! Love it

Thank you much for a the hard work fractal team. Can't wait to give it a shot. I have a stupid question, what are "word clocks"?

I've never heard of the :/
They are a necessary evil when using digital audio. Basically when you record from a digital device (source) to another digital device (destination) the source has to be the master in order for the destination to sync properly. In most systems the audio interface or sound card is the master clock source. That means that all devices sync their clocks to that clock in order to eliminate jitter and dropout which by default makes all the other devices slaves. Before today the AxeFXII would always default to master when it was being recorded from and then change to slave when you tried to re-amp from your DAW using the audio interface and not USB. The issue here was that you would have to close your DAW or at least release the ASIO audio driver in order to change the master/slave clock setting of your audio device and depending on how you record this could be a massive PITA.

About 99% of the time this is not an issue and this will only be relevant to people who are using the digital SPDIF or AES connections to record. For the clinically insane such as myself who have been chasing the AES rabbit down the re-amp hole this is epic.

Given all the updates this week (Axe Edit, FW18.01 and MFC update), is there a best order I should take updating my rig?

They are a necessary evil when using digital audio. Basically when you record from a digital device (source) to another digital device (destination) the source has to be the master in order for the destination to sync properly. In most systems the audio interface or sound card is the master clock source. That means that all devices sync their clocks to that clock in order to eliminate jitter and dropout which by default makes all the other devices slaves. Before today the AxeFXII would always default to master when it was being recorded from and then change to slave when you tried to re-amp from your DAW using the audio interface and not USB. The issue here was that you would have to close your DAW or at least release the ASIO audio driver in order to change the master/slave clock setting of your audio device and depending on how you record this could be a massive PITA.

About 99% of the time this is not an issue and this will only be relevant to people who are using the digital SPDIF or AES connections to record. For the clinically insane such as myself who have been chasing the AES rabbit down the re-amp hole this is epic.
thanks.

If you keep your patch untouched after the firmware update, the advanced parameters remains the way you had it before the update... At least the ones that the amp has not been G3-fied... I'm redoing my patches that has G3 amps, so don't know what happens about them.

If you change the amp and go back to your previous amp, the advanced parameters will be reset to their defaults.

What version of firmware are you running now? I'm leery of putting my foot in my mouth, but it's my understanding that many "advanced" amp parameters cease to be, join the choir invisible, rest in peace, shuffle off this mortal coil, kick the bucket, are simply – in other words – no more.

This caused a few individuals some stress, but the general idea is that with the new G3 algorithms, these parameters become redundant and are no longer needed.

There is elegance in simplicity – at least from the user's point of view. (None of this is simple for Cliff and FAS!)

Last edited:
Given all the updates this week (Axe Edit, FW18.01 and MFC update), is there a best order I should take updating my rig?
First I updated fractal bot.
Then I did a complete backup
Then the MFC101 using my midisport UNO.
Then FW 1801
Then axe edit
Then fire up the axe by itself, reset system settings and adjust them back where I want them
Then power down and plug in the MFC and configure it.
Finally fire up axe edit and start tweaking.

Will advanced amp parameters be reset after updating to FW18.01?
If so, is there a way to keem'em untouched?

If you're upgrading from the 18.00 public beta nothing will be reset. If you're coming from something older than the 18.00 public beta they will be reset.

Back
Top Bottom