Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.01 Released

I just updated to 18.03 and sounds spectacular (Xl +). However, when I attempted to download the preset banks for XL + I received the old milk carton instead. Have I jumped the gun too quickly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated (just to see - I was able to download the preset banks for XL just not XL +).

Loving the new sounds with FW 18.03 and new presets. One area of concern was when I hit the Friedman HBE factory preset. Popping and cracking like crazy and using 94% CPU. Gave me a CPU overload message. It has an amp/cab & reverb. No alterations by me.

One area of concern was when I hit the Friedman HBE factory preset. Popping and cracking like crazy and using 94% CPU. Gave me a CPU overload message. It has an amp/cab & reverb. No alterations by me.
Were you auditioning through Axe-Manage Presets? That can be sensitive for a couple of seconds to even moderately-high CPU when you change presets. it settles down pretty quickly, though.

That preset runs at 82% for me.

Cliff - What the hell did you do to that Cameron in the new firmware. That amp is a monster, especially through those Fractal V30 cabs. Tone Heaven!!!! I can't thank you enough.

I seem to be getting the milk carton when trying to download the new presets for the Axe 2 mk1/mk2. Are they going to be up and running soon?

I almost never post on threads related to a firmware release, but I have to this time (the beginning of this post on another thread match my feeling :
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...s-extra-amp-mojo-over-g2-v17.html#post1171095).

For me firmware 18 is a big advancement, everything sounds "bigger".

I'm rediscovering the Cornford after dropping it for the FAS Lead 2 then the MKIIC+ for leads. And I've never had so much pleasure playing the Plexi. I just wish I had more time to play guitar, there's so much amps I want to test

And thanks for the ability to control the compressor level ! I needed it for some of my morphing presets

Everything sounds much, much better! I made a patch in the fw18beta with a jcm800mod which now sounds a bit too bright/harsh.

Reducing treble or presence doesn't quite get me to the same place as I was in the beta.

I notice cliff mentioned that it was to do with a softer triode cutoff, so I'll have a look at that in the advanced menu tonight- does anyone have an idea of where I should set it to get it closer to the beta?

Everything else sounds superb now!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Enabling it decreases power amp smoothing which results in meaner distortion. This switch is enabled by default in certain models such as Cameron ch. 2 amp. Try it with amp types such as Plexi, JCM800, Friedman and Mesa Mark.
  • Cliff: "It switches in a zener diode clipping stage right before the tone stack. This is the so-called Jose Arrendondo Mod." Source
  • Cliff: "The Sat (saturation) circuit is located between the preamp and power amp. If the model doesn't have much preamp gain, e.g. 59 Bassguy, then the sat switch will have little effect. A real amp would exhibit the same behavior. Amps like this get all their distortion from the power amp." Source
  • Firmware 15.01: Amp block Sat Switch now has three settings: Off, On (Auth) and On (Ideal). On (Auth) replicates authentic saturation circuit behavior and will lower the volume out of the virtual preamp. On (Ideal) replicates the idealized behavior present in Version 14.xx and earlier firmware.
  • Firmware 18: the parameter Sat Drive controls the amount of "saturation" when the Sat Switch is on.

AMP parameters - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Thanks.
I tried on various marshalls/copies now, but to me it only sounded like an ugly distortion and less volume....but I might not have given it much research :D

Thanks.
I tried on various marshalls/copies now, but to me it only sounded like an ugly distortion and less volume....but I might not have given it much research :D
Saturation-switch distortion is a bit raw, just like on a real amp. It also cuts the volume a bit, also just like on a real amp (try "ideal"mode I'd you want the volume level to stay). If Sat doesn't duit your tones, don't use it. :)

Am I to understand that there are users here complaining about updates??? Wow..
Are they being automatically updated or something? Why wouldn't they just not update?
I for one, actually a few of us, can assure you that it was in fact the frequent updates that was the final selling point. Anyone with an Eleven knows the sorrow of a stagnant development program.. The FAS group of artists & developers deserve to be respected & appreciated for maintaining the passion & dedication to take their product through to its max potential.. I have no doubt that they would all rather be working on something new. ThxU guys!

Am I to understand that there are users here complaining about updates??? Wow..
Are they being automatically updated or something? Why wouldn't they just not update?
I for one, actually a few of us, can assure you that it was in fact the frequent updates that was the final selling point. Anyone with an Eleven knows the sorrow of a stagnant development program.. The FAS group of artists & developers deserve to be respected & appreciated for maintaining the passion & dedication to take their product through to its max potential.. I have no doubt that they would all rather be working on something new. ThxU guys!

I haven't taken any of these posts as folks complaining about the updates...just trying to compare and contrast.

Back
Top Bottom