Axe-Fx II Firmware 16.04.1 Released

Played with the new firmware and specifically the new SLP and greenback cab at typical stage volume. One thing that struck me right off...I do not like that cab. Harsh, to my ears. Tried my trusty standby of the 412 Basketweave G12M25 and that was FAR better. The SLP Treble channel is pretty darn good by itself. With the volume up around 8 it made my Strat sing. I lowered the variac to 75% to give it a slightly different feel and put a tube screamer in front. It really rocks! Not terribly different than the other options we have for this kind of sound, but it's a welcome addition.

With what, now 202 amp models?, I think short of maybe some sort of solid state Randal's or similar, we really aren't going to get anything terribly different. 10 Marshall style amps or 100 Marshall style amps, same basic tones, but variety is nice and subtle differences can still be noticed.

The unit was already so good there are rather diminishing returns with each improvement, but its still awesome to get them

Incredible update. For my informational purposes, could someone please enlighten me on what the "under the hood" differences are between the VH4 blue and silver? Sorry if it's already been answered.

Incredible update. For my informational purposes, could someone please enlighten me on what the "under the hood" differences are between the VH4 blue and silver? Sorry if it's already been answered.

As for specifics, I can't help you there, but tone-wise side by side IRL, (ch3) the blue was significantly deeper, heavier, and less saturated. The silver, in contrast, was a lot like the most perfect JCM800 ever, slightly (but noticeably) tighter than the blue, more mid-rangey, seemed like more gain on tap... or maybe it just broke up a little sooner. (ch1 & 2) cleans on the silver were less muddied, although both tracked very well. (ch4) Leads on the silver seemed a little more compressed than the blue, which in contrast seemed more like a rehash of ch3 just taken to the next level. I would call it a very musical compression though... didn't seem, what's the word, artificial?

Both were running =C= EL34's at the time.

Apologies if this has been reported before.....

I just added the new Rola IR into a Stereo UltraRes cab block with the greenback 25 IR, some of my patches are quite CPU intensive so I checked to see what it was running at.......the answer, 95%, with no crackling or spitting as it did on 16.03.

If this is the new limit, then this is big!

P.S. just went on to my lead scene and the CPU usage stood at just over 97, and still no popping!!!!!

Last edited:
Apologies if this has been reported before.....

I just added the new Rola IR into a Stereo UltraRes cab block with the greenback 25 IR, some of my patches are quite CPU intensive so I checked to see what it was running at.......the answer, 95%, with no crackling or spitting as it did on 16.03.

If this is the new limit, then this is big!

P.S. just went on to my lead scene and the CPU usage stood at just over 97, and still no popping!!!!!

Surprising as I got crackling on a preset that was at about 93%-94%.

In exchange for tolerating the bugs in the last release here is a small present for you. Use this in conjunction with the new 1959SLP Treble model for some "toan of teh godz".

[Link to "4x12 Pre-Rola GB C414 C" CAB impulse-response file]

This cab IR is the bomb. No, really. :shock

Thanks!

Got to try the verbs tonight. Yes, they live up to the hype imho.

Best verbs i've ever had. The new SLP is �� good :)

Reactions: Ole
Diggin the new 'verbs. Few years back I had a loaded Kurzweil KSP8 as the main FX processor in the studio. Absolutely loved that machine and many of the reverbs in it. Sadly, had to sell it when I got laid off and dearly wish I had it back now. Some of the new verbs in this latest firmware rev are getting mighty close to some of my old KSP8 verbs - especially loving the Deep Space selection for the ambient stuff I've been doing lately. The new plexi treble amp and Pre Rola cab is a tasty combination as well. Been tweaking away on a new preset to get a kind of Frampton-like tone ala Frampton Comes Alive and the new amp/cab combo is in the ballpark....little more tweaking and it should be pretty close.

Been using the Axe II XL since June now and have loved every second of it. Great job Cliff and FAS crew!

The vh4 silver ch3 is awesome. Never was a big fan of the diezel models before, but that one is fantastic. Tight, clear and heavy.

FW 16.04
whats wrong with the delay block? the higher i turn MIX up the lower the delay volume. at 100% the delay is muted

Back
Top Bottom