Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.02 Released

Two questions on 15.02:

- What was that "bug" in 15.01 that caused an (apparent emergency) release of 15.02 and the removal of the 15.01 thread, and what kind of catastrophic "damage" can it cause?

- How much change is there in sound and levels when you switch from 15.01 to 15.02? I spent hours last night setting my levels meticulously, and am hoping that I can install 15.02 without much impact. I'm in no urgent hurry to get 15.02, except that I have no idea what that "bug" is, and to what extent it would be advised to stop using 15.01...

Thanks!

Get 15.02. It solves an issue with some amps. No "emergency". Just, better (correct).

You may have to change a few little things. It's worth the effort.

Two questions on 15.02:

- What was that "bug" in 15.01 that caused an (apparent emergency) release of 15.02 and the removal of the 15.01 thread, and what kind of catastrophic "damage" can it cause?

- How much change is there in sound and levels when you switch from 15.01 to 15.02? I spent hours last night setting my levels meticulously, and am hoping that I can install 15.02 without much impact. I'm in no urgent hurry to get 15.02, except that I have no idea what that "bug" is, and to what extent it would be advised to stop using 15.01...

Thanks!

15.02 is highly recommended. 15.01 won't cause any damage but some amp models will not sound right.

I know this is not feasible from an ROI point of view, but I'm less interested in subjective opinions than I am in the hard facts of the number of people that are using amp/cab combinations. In some apps, I am asked to give permission for the company to collect data to improve their product. For me, it would be great to be able to go to a web page and find out what cabs are in use the most for the amps that I use. I could then take the top 10 or 20 and audition them.

That is indeed the challenge. I think we need some kind of rating system but of course that would be highly subjective. Perhaps ratings in several categories: clean, mid-gain, high-gain.

Highly subjective is an understatement :). A cab that sounds horrible with one amp may sound great with another. Or a very bright or dark cab may not sound good by itself but blend brilliantly with another.

I know this is not feasible from an ROI point of view, but I'm less interested in subjective opinions than I am in the hard facts of the number of people that are using amp/cab combinations. In some apps, I am asked to give permission for the company to collect data to improve their product. For me, it would be great to be able to go to a web page and find out what cabs are in use the most for the amps that I use. I could then take the top 10 or 20 and audition them.

This is a good idea. It would (should) be easy to scrape that information out of the uploads to AxeChange.
Not a perfect oracle, but definitely a window into what people think is good. Hard to say if it would be
useful, without actually doing it and looking at the results.

This is a good idea. It would (should) be easy to scrape that information out of the uploads to AxeChange.
Not a perfect oracle, but definitely a window into what people think is good. Hard to say if it would be
useful, without actually doing it and looking at the results.

I think mining data from AxeEdit would be much better. AxeChange data wouldn't change much as new cabs are adopted by users, and I for one often change cabs when I download from AxeChange. But with AxeEdit, you'd be able to see trends where people were migrating from one cab to another for a given amp. When you think about it, there is tons of useful statistics that could be compiled, anonymously of course.

Dam it Im getting the spinning beach ball of death trying to point to the file in Axe-Bot..... Lunch is over.... beach ball still spinning, keep rebooting. Ugh....

The AxeChange hasnt been updated for FW15 When you upload a file the options only go to FW14 same with searches no FW15 Can someone please look into that.
This Axe FX is just truly unbelievable now and to think that when my POD HD500 went down and I almost replaced it with another one..........

Last edited:
That is indeed the challenge. I think we need some kind of rating system but of course that would be highly subjective. Perhaps ratings in several categories: clean, mid-gain, high-gain.

This ^ at least ... plus maybe additional descriptors. E.g., Clean country, mid-gain fusion, high-gain pop, clean Landau, high-gain Lukather, mid-gain Herring, clean Quayle, mid-gain Thorn ...

This ^ at least ... plus maybe additional descriptors. E.g., Clean country, mid-gain fusion, high-gain pop, clean Landau, high-gain Lukather, mid-gain Herring, clean Quayle, mid-gain Thorn ...

if you start going down the sub-genre rabbit hole it never ends....it will become more confusing than having no system at all. i think keeping it relegated to very specific and somewhat general terms is best. sure there will be some disagreements but you'll get the best consensus. my two cents...

What about something like this?
383474d1391594374-understanding-tonewood-guitar-size-string-combinations-breedlovetonechart.jpg

Something that takes into consideration a few factors instead of just one characteristic.

Attachments

• 383474d1391594374-understanding-tonewood-guitar-size-string-combinations-breedlovetonechart.jpg
    383474d1391594374-understanding-tonewood-guitar-size-string-combinations-breedlovetonechart.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 74
another problem with ir's is that it is SO subjective, even on an individual basis....and if you play one long enough, even if you don't like, your ears will adjust to it and you'll start to think that it sounds pretty good.

happened to me last night....starting playing an ir i hadn't liked in the past while auditioning a bunch of different ones. as my ears adjusted, i begin to like it. switched to other ir's i've used more in the past and back to the aforementioned ir and it sounded like ass, again, lol. happens ALL THE TIME.

I'm imagining an axe-edit export where users select for export the presets they use most-often, preferably ones they're gigging or recording with. Axe-edit strips out just the amp/cab combo and creates a user editable document with a field where user can assign a gain classification to each amp/cab preset.

After gain classifications are complete, axe-edit uploads, and basic analytics can sort the data. There's no rating system needed; the data will speak for itself. Analytics will publish most used amps, most used cabs, and a variety of amp/cab correlations including which amp/cab combos are used most by the fractal community (those uploading it that is), which cabs are used across widest variety of amps and vice versa. And then there's per-user averages and medians -- number of presets, number of unique amps, unique cabs, etc.

It's a system that could be organized into an all-access dashboard that helps the community help itself and provides great insights for FA, including which UR providers are creating relevant products.

Each user gets a portal account inside of axe-edit and the user can only publish one list of amp/cab presets at a time. If they want to upload a new one, it deletes the previous one. This prevents multiple uploads and restricts database presets to those actually being used (honor system of course).

The user portal could enable other user inputs such as 3rd party software they use, foot controller type, FRFR, power and passive cab choice, etc, and we haven't even gotten into the other axe-fx blocks. Users can manage and update their portal profile anytime.

I think users, including famous players, can provide a lot of data without giving up signature parameter settings on their rigs, including tips/tricks they want to share. IMO, all of this could be valuable data and a powerful resource that aggregates relevant user data and preferred user peripherals all into one dynamic resource for both company and community.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
For me personally, I generally stick with one cab and dial in the amp to work with it. It sounds more consistent to me when you switch between different amps when you use the same cab.

Same thing in the real world - I don't like using multiple cabs with multiple amps. I prefer to cascade them through the same cab (headbone style!)

Back
Top Bottom