Axe-Fx II Firmware 15.00 Public Beta

I had an idea last night. I'm going to add an "Update Amp Blocks in All Presets" function to the Utility menu. This will set all parameters in each amp block in all presets to the default values EXCEPT for the following:
Drive (Input Drive, Overdrive, etc.)
Bass, Mid, Treble, Bright
Presence, Depth
Cut, Fat, Bright and Fat switches
Master Volume and Output Level
Pick Attack
Thunk

So all the advanced parameters and any others not listed above will be set to default values.

Awesome man!!

Mean that also that there are no new default value of Depth in the 5153 Red model from 6 to 5 when upgrading from 14.02 to 15 version? I thought it was a good small adjust of your new matching to it because the real amp hasn't a depth knob. I never touched this.

I had an idea last night. I'm going to add an "Update Amp Blocks in All Presets" function to the Utility menu. This will set all parameters in each amp block in all presets to the default values EXCEPT for the following:
Presence, Depth
Pick Attack
Thunk

So all the advanced parameters and any others not listed above will be set to default values.

Neat idea :)

As others suggested, please include the graphic EQ page.
When doing the amp re-select thing, dialing in the knobs is quick and easy, but re-dialing the EQ is tedious.

Presence, Depth
Pick Attack
Thunk

I'd like to see the following added to the exclusion list:
Balance
Input Select
Bypass Mode

And maybe rename Update All Presets to: Update Presets Protocol, to prevent confusion.

Presence, Depth
Pick Attack
Thunk

Awesome - how about the amp GEQ?

Defaulting advanced params makes sense, but since amp GEQ isn't amp-specific and it contains multiple parameters, preserving tweaks vs. defaulting could be a real time-saver.

More Than One Update Command???

Presence, Depth
Pick Attack
Thunk

This is a great idea!

Therefore I hate to ask, but is it possible to have more than one “Update All Amp Blocks in All Presets” command?

Is it possible to have one that ignores (doesn't reset to default values) the more commonly tweaked controls (as described above)... and another that defaults everything (i.e. put tone controls to noon, sets presence to where it would be if the real amp didn’t have a presence control, etc.)?

Something like this (a reset of just the advanced controls to defaults and one to default all controls) might be handy even at the individual preset level.

Last edited:
Something like this (a reset of just the advanced controls to defaults and one to default all controls) might be handy even at the individual preset level.

Already exists: doubleclick Bypass, or use AE's Initialize.

Great thought!! Also ,I've seen several products that will show a marker where the value was before it was changed (edited)prior to saving the patch, maybe useful ? possible?

Yeah I actually was hoping Cliff would add something like this at some point. When I first got my AxeFx, I was coming from the Digitech 2101. One thing I loved was it would show an * in front of ANY options you tweaked in a preset. If you put the option back to where it was, the * would disappear. What would be cool for us with the AxeFx....when we edit we get a symbol that tells us we edited that option. When Cliff gives us an update or whatever, the things that changed have a © or some kind of super "C" next to them. Farfetched maybe...but helpful, hell yes! :)

RDH: While I have you here, a quick question if I may? You posted your opinion at the top of this page about how you feel about updates etc. If you play out often or make a living from your craft, aren't you a little leery about having an update go bad on your AxeFx? I mean granted, I have another rig that I can use as a back-up but I absolutely hate it. I'm in a Van Halen tribute band and NEED my AxeFx due to the fx and amp that go with EVH. I also am a lone guitarist in my band so the additional goodies given to me in the AxeFx are not there with anything else.

All of the above said, I literally crap my pants each time I do an update in fear something will go wrong and I'll have to send my Axe back to Fractal. As much as it pains me to have to re-tweak my sounds during a FW update (I understand that's the nature of the beast, trust me...I get it) having to ship my unit back scares me even more. Do you ever worry about that? Do any of you? Is it so wrong to rely on this box so heavily that we're sometimes afraid to touch it? This is how I've taken some of the replies that others have taken as "complaining." I'm not complaining but I gotta tell you, I may be a little scared at times yet I WANT the new stuff that's available.

Last thing just to further explain my feelings and then I won't say another word. I waited a VERY long time for my MFC. I got the latest one made and the day it came to me was one of the happiest days of my playing life. I was using other pedals to trigger my Axe with fair results...but nothing compared to what the MFC gave me. So I get the MFC, I play with it for four hours. I see there's an update for it that fixes some pretty serious things that I'd not want to happen to me. I update the MFC to the best of my ability following every step.....and it never works again. Brand new...4 hours of use...totally done.

Fractal repaired it and had it back to me in nano-seconds with a Tech support that everyone should take lessons from. They were incredible.....but my point is, if that were to happen to my Axe, I'd be sick man. I HAVE to think of this stuff in my situation as well as the time it would take me to update my patches. I don't always have the time unfortunately. :( So I sincerely hope no one took anything I said as complaining. I'm perfectly happy with everything. But if something can be made to simplify our steps like what Cliff recently mentioned....I'm totally cool with that! I'm still scared shitless to have my Axe go down doing a FW update though....make no bones about that! LOL! :)

Axe-Fx XL FW 15.00 Public Beta. When I change presets there is 2-3 short episodes like unconnect. Just after change. I tried different presets -the same scenario. /Michael

Presence, Depth
Pick Attack
Thunk

I like using your suggested master volume setting . I usually do not change this. If you are adding this to the do not update list what happens if you have an amp that you guys has deemed should have a different MV than what it has now? Although I never have an issue updating amps I want to say that this idea is pretty cool

Oddly, I think MV could also be included in the values which auto-update
yessmiley.gif

I say that largely because I seem to recall how some models don't have MV control and 10 would be the 'default' in those cases. That's no problem for those 'in the know', but for avoidance of doubt and / or funkiness due to user input, I can see how it might assist those with no intimate knowledge of all the amps

Dumb question: the amp block reset is solely so the amp model restarts (more or less) with the correct/accurate settings, yes? As opposed to some sort of technical error.

Awesome - how about the amp GEQ? Defaulting advanced params makes sense, but since amp GEQ isn't amp-specific and it contains multiple parameters, preserving tweaks vs. defaulting could be a real time-saver.
Neat idea :)

As others suggested, please include the graphic EQ page.
When doing the amp re-select thing, dialing in the knobs is quick and easy, but re-dialing the EQ is tedious.
Just a suggestion--if possible, I would add the amp EQ page values to the things that do not go to default. Those are a bear to remember/write down! ;)
Can you also include the graphic EQ page with the unchanged parameters? I use that in every patch.

Thought I'd collect these as a friendly hint ;)

Dumb question: the amp block reset is solely so the amp model restarts (more or less) with the correct/accurate settings, yes? As opposed to some sort of technical error.

That would be my understanding of it Chris
yessmiley.gif

It's a digital reproduction of the amps Cliff models and from there, the usual Drive / Bass / Mid / Treble and so on are all down to user choice and taste, but the stuff going on 'round the back is as per the real amp... except with the option to tweak madly without screwdrivers and soldering irons
thumbsup.gif

So reading the first few posts and last few posts can I surmise the following?

1) Cliff releases beta firmware
2) Praise all around
3) Prior Presets don't sound the same
4) Some people are pissed off
5) Some people aren't
6) A pissing match ensues
7) Cliff comes up with more ideas and further improves the product
8) Some people will still be upset, some wont.

So reading the first few posts and last few posts can I surmise the following?

1) Cliff releases beta firmware
2) Praise all around
3) Prior Presets don't sound the same
4) Some people are pissed off
5) Some people aren't
6) A pissing match ensues
7) Cliff comes up with more ideas and further improves the product
8) Some people will still be upset, some wont.

Isn't that usually how firmware updates go here? EXACTLY.

I’d add:

3b) Questions about how to make everything sound the same as with the old firmware but with the sound improvements in the new firmware.
3c) Confirmation that new firmware will sound different and that if you want to keep the sound intact, you need to keep the old firmware.

Presence, Depth
Pick Attack
Thunk

I heartily endorse THIS idea!

Back
Top Bottom