Axe-Fx II and Roland FC-300

micklisa

I just got the Axe-Fx II to replace my Axe-Fx Standard. First off, I love the II!!! However, I am having issues getting the Roland FC-300 midi foot controller expression pedals to work properly with the Axe-Fx II. Specifically, trying to get EXPR 1 pedal on the FC-300 to serve as a volume pedal. Used to work seamlessly on the Standard, but not on the II. I get it to do volume adjustments, but it is very sporadic and random....sometimes volume increases when the toe is up, other times it increases when the toe goes down....rarely does the volume go all the way down in any movement of the pedal, etc......I tried calibrating the pedal using the FC-300 utility to no avail. Anybody else having issues? Thanks!

That's the MIDI pedal I use. It transmits a signal that needs to be filtered. The Standard/ULTRA already had code to filter it, and I'm surprised Cliff didn't transfer to the Axe-II.

Maybe he forgot? Hopefully he will chime in, cause when I get and Axe-II, I'd like my MIDI pedal to work, ya know.

EDIT: It's called "active sense"

Yeah, I never understood why Roland never offered the ability to turn it off. I've sent Roland a few letters on the issue, (since it is THEIR pedal) and all they have ever told me is that they would look into it. I've had this pedal for a few years now, and it sits in a corner, cause it doesn't work with anything I own.

per Fractal Audio support, here's there response "Sounds like the FC-300 is malfunctioning. We do filter the MIDI data. It's the same code from the old Axe-Fx. It has nothing to do with active sense." oh well, the issues continue.....thanks for your input

per Fractal Audio support, here's there response "Sounds like the FC-300 is malfunctioning. We do filter the MIDI data. It's the same code from the old Axe-Fx. It has nothing to do with active sense." oh well, the issues continue.....thanks for your input
Hmm! Time to call/email Roland then!

I just got the Axe-Fx II to replace my Axe-Fx Standard. First off, I love the II!!! However, I am having issues getting the Roland FC-300 midi foot controller expression pedals to work properly with the Axe-Fx II. Specifically, trying to get EXPR 1 pedal on the FC-300 to serve as a volume pedal. Used to work seamlessly on the Standard, but not on the II. I get it to do volume adjustments, but it is very sporadic and random....sometimes volume increases when the toe is up, other times it increases when the toe goes down....rarely does the volume go all the way down in any movement of the pedal, etc......I tried calibrating the pedal using the FC-300 utility to no avail. Anybody else having issues? Thanks!
did you look in the wiki ? Tutorials and How-Tos - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

Yes, I set it up using the Wiki and it responds, just not well. I cannot seem to get it smoothly responding to my foot movements (watching the dot along the curve, doesn't seem to move evenly with foot movements from min to max). It seems to partially move, jump, etc. I've adjusted various settings on the wah to no avail. Seems like the FC-300 is not very friendly with the Axe-Fx II. Might be time to upgrade to the MFC-101 and expression pedals.

Yes, I set it up using the Wiki and it responds, just not well. I cannot seem to get it smoothly responding to my foot movements (watching the dot along the curve, doesn't seem to move evenly with foot movements from min to max). It seems to partially move, jump, etc. I've adjusted various settings on the wah to no avail. Seems like the FC-300 is not very friendly with the Axe-Fx II. Might be time to upgrade to the MFC-101 and expression pedals.
Did this get resolved? I have been trying to hold out for the coupons for the Axe II and MFC. But if my existing FC-300 will cut it I think I may just pay extra and live without the MFC.

Not really. Haven't spent much time with it, but it doesn't seem to work well out of the box for the expression pedals. I kinda want the MFC now....good luck

I thought I would go ahead and bump this topic - I picked up my Axe FX II yesterday and can now confirm that it does not play nice with the two expression pedals on the FC-300. Everything else works 100% as expected. Weird that something was missed/changed in the move from the Ultra/Standard to the II model? The midi learning function learns the correct CC# but the 0-127 expressive range is anything but smooth - it is hopping all over the place. Calibration did nothing to improve the situation. Testing with a friends Ultra confirmed that the pedal is working 100% and the issue is isolated the Axe FX II. I am hoping that this will get some love so we can continue to use this controller while we save for the MFC and some mission pedals :)

Hi i'm new to this forum and new owner of the Axe FxII since mid august. I have the FC-300 and have the same problem. The CC# work but the expression pedals are random for volume or wah. I control the G-Major2 with the same kit and it work. Does it exist a solution since that thread appeared?

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone! I agree, let's get this in front of tech support and maybe they'll work on it. I'll fwd it on to them. If you are able, please do the same so we can gain support and momentum. Rock on!

I'm also following this thread....I have a FC 300 that I intend to use with the ii when/if I ever get it lol

just got response from Fractal that they are looking into it. Awesome!

Great news! I am still hoping to grab the MFC when I can afford it but the FC300 does a great job in the mean time! I hope they can figure it out soon. If they need any assistance in troubleshooting I would be more than happy to do anything I can to assist in finding the issue and helping determine a solution.

I ordered an FC-300 to test this. I just realized, however, that I have a GT-10 so I hooked that up thinking that the MIDI implementation is probably the same and, sure, enough, the control is all erratic. The Roland/Boss stuff is using Running Status and apparently the new MIDI message processing I wrote for the II isn't handling running status correctly. Should be an easy fix.

Thanks for looking in to this for us! I am sure I speak for all us FC-300 users when I express our gratitude - and hope it is an easy fix for you as well.

Back
Top Bottom