Axe Fx II - Amp in the Room ?? I hear wood - SeeD

it might be worth experimenting with the speaker resonance as yek suggested, but also using the room reverb in the cab block. it might give you a similar effect, but perhaps more natural sounding. i think we can assume that any cab resonances would already be captured in the IR, assuming the sweep was done at a decent enough volume to excite them....?

Yeah i know about the Room verb in the cab block. Have been using it some,and i works good,to add some room. But i feel this is doing something else,to the sound. Have you tried it with headphones ? :)

That sounds fantastic and I'll definitely try this tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing, I would never have come up with this!

Weird, with my cans (and for my tastes) this actually doesn't seem to do anything positive for the sound... Too thumpy, blanket effect, etc. Definitely not the open sound I associate with amp in the room. Just IMHO. Appreciate the effort/enthusiasm, etc. If the rest of you guys like it have at it.

I thought, the "amp in the room" has been done with the Ultracabs? You know the Dax-Germancabs?

I personally thought it sounded better with the Resonator block bypassed, but I like to hear a more direct, pure tone that's upfront and don't really care about if it sounds like an amp in the room.

I guess I'm more of an "Amp In Your Face" kind of player. ;)

Last edited:
I will be trying some more tweeking or" tweerking" the coming days. The preset i made,is not finished.. if thats what some og you think.
We need to tweek,the amp,res block.
But i like to have this idea as well.
I am to a Amp In Your Face guy. That is way i got the Axe Fx ;)

I liked the sound, but I think it´s a little too much, so I lowered the mix on the resonator block to 33%. To me that sound more like a amp in the room than the using the room level on the speaker block. Works great for that old lo gain almost clean bluestone. Some times "mistakes" works great.. :) Bra jobba...

I will be trying some more tweeking or" tweerking" the coming days. The preset i made,is not finished.. if thats what some og you think.
We need to tweek,the amp,res block.
But i like to have this idea as well.
I am to a Amp In Your Face guy. That is way i got the Axe Fx ;)

I'm sure we'd all appreciate if you refrained from doing any twerking. ;-)

Yep! the trick do something! add punch ... add frequencies ... add "wood"
but I wanna work more on the specific parametres of the cabs...in the amp block and the cab block... and interact with the character of some good UltraRes IRs ... maybe adding some good mix with the room mic IRs...
This is more logical to me and more close to the "real life" that The Machine wanto to emulate!

I don't know......I like it!

You definitely may be on to something there!

Like others....i'm in the woodshed!

Thanks!

Yeah, great find my friend... Whats happening is that your adding resonances (good ones) just like a cab "in a room" would have. I think if you fine tune it you could make great sounds..
THE problem I have with guitar tones, what makes them so hard to get perfect, is that electric guitar is not a real instrument. Its an electronic one. No natural resonances. Thats why its so important to get the sound of the cab, not the speaker.. The speaker influenced by the cab is NOT enough in my experience, you gotta play with the "wood" sound of the cab... And your find is a great emulation for something like that.

Just popping in, and arm-chair quarterbacking, but: on first sounding I thought, 'It Grrrrrrrrs'. I don't think the original tone needs a thing. The resonator block engaged makes it various degrees of muffled. (I know, me saying this.) At the very least, it seems like some eq-ing to keep the resonance from being over-bearing, and perhaps some presence brought out, is in store. You might end up near where you started beforehand. Or there may be a narrow range of usable difference.

Then this came to mind: are we supposed to be hearing a direct amp tone, or are you mic-ing your monitors?.....I'm a little confused. Also, your hard strumming over-shadows the amp sound....

Last edited:
Amp In the Room PARTLY a Matter of Volume - Miss the FEEL

I've read a lot about "amp in the room" sound, and how it's "difficult" to get through a flat stereo monitoring system set up for direct sound. Maybe my ears aren't the same as everyone else's but I can get what to me is a convincing "guitar amp in the room sound" using the right Cab sim, and turning off either the left or right speaker (to simulate a single mono amp).

The main difference I hear is the volume. My (expensive) monitors can't go nearly as loud as a typical guitar speaker in that bandwidth range. So I tried something else. I took a full range passive PA cabinet (rated 400 watts RMS) and did the same thing. This time the volume easily competed with a real amp, and playing a 55 watt 6L6 amp side by side my AXE II going through a class D amp into a PA cabinet sounded very similar. I didn't use far-field IRs either as some suggest is necessary (yes I understand the theory there - it makes sense but it doesn't seem to be necessary and some of the FF IRs I have are downright crappy sounding). I just used the EQ in the AXE to match to tone of the real amp as closely as possible after trying out probably 50 cabinet IRs to get the best match before EQ. If I close my eyes it sounds just like an amp in the room to me - the only difference being that the PA speaker is more directional than the open back amp I used (Bugera V55). If I removed the horn and the crossover, what's left sure looks a lot like a guitar cabinet. If the woofer has adequate high frequency response it could probably function well as a guitar cab without a lot of high freq roll off the AXE Cab sim gives.

The result of all this is, the PA cabinets are gone, and I ordered two real guitar cabinets (for stereo). Unless you have some seriously powerful monitors or stereo speakers, you're not going to get the volume of a real mid-size guitar cab. My AXE will now feed a stereo power amp which will drive the cabinets. I love FRFR and IRs - but there is nothing like FEELING the guitar, and even my $3000 pair of monitors won't come close to doing that. It took a little experimentation to remind me of what I have been missing since I got my AXE and fell in love with IRs for recording.

This is also the reason I don't think guitar amps will ever disappear. Some people simply don't like FRFR, they want something louder without buying PA speakers they don't need, and you can buy a nice LOUD amp for less than $400 (a Bugera V22 for example - if you haven't heard it don't knock it) that gives many people all the tones they will ever need, plus an amp and a speaker in the same box!

Please note, I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm simply saying that I can use a big PA cabinet with my AXE and have it sound close enough to a real amp in the room to fool me without all the elaborate measures I've read about. Perhaps better ears would notice the difference.

IMO it's very difficult to ever get an "amp in the room sound" with a small full range speaker. The volume level of even a modest tube amp will blow even a powerful studio monitor out off the water. Remember, you're only using a portion of the spectrum and therefore the power handling capability of a full range speaker when you amplify only a guitar. To go full range you really need a PA cab to get the "amp in the room sound" to be a convincing volume level, at least I do.

As always, YMMV

T

To go full range you really need a PA cab to get the "amp in the room sound" to be a convincing volume level, at least I do.
That's why I use a couple of Montarbo W17A (active): 600watt each... 2ways ... 1.4 horns and 15" woofer... in my livingroom!!! :eagerness: you can't get more "amp in the room" sound!!! (well.... aehmmm... actually... "Woodstock in the room" :lol )
It's the perfect way for coocking a good and real live sound!
But for the recording session and for auditioning IRs... nothing better of my NF monitors KRK VXT8 (well... not so NF!!! 80watt each 10" cones!!! wow!!!)

Back
Top Bottom