Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.02 Public Beta #2 (Beta 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi MNIB,

I have seen the discussion on the gate. And seeing your video and listening to the noise, its actually similar to what noise I have at home. It's not the axe fx (you know that), but it's especially something which is very annoying with specific muted notes (including palm mutes) or notes with volume around the treshhold.

I haven't figured out at home what brings the noise, but it also appears when using axe edit and usb. It's actually my PC that seems to bring noise from the non wired mouse and keyboard. But we also have some ventilators (although far away, but maybe those give the noise as well.

Although the noise gates have been improved I still have these noises (but less pronounced). But these specific sounds are very difficult to get out of the guitarsound as they are picked up by a cable or the pickups of the guitar. So they will be part of the input. It would be nice to have a sort of noisecanceling (taken out the noise from the guitar), but that will also mean that these frequencies will be taken out of your guitar signal and therefor your sound will be impacted.

Best to find what is causing the sound in the first place. Or check you gain structure to see how it's amplified and minimize it in the chain (first without any gates at all).

I nowadays I just accept that this noise is there and will dive into it more indepth when I start recording again. And if a system is there that will take it from you guitar sound, go for that. Although I wonder if this sound can be taken out without impacting the sound.

What systems have you tried that work?
Some dwellings are just noisy
Apartments worse any type of digital freq a signal router , printer
Hell a vacumn in the unit above
Can be picked up , similar to a wireless freq channel
It’s really hard to diagnose sometimes
But as others have said I don’t think it is the gate , if the other gentleman
Can have a 5153 gain on ten and silence it .

What systems have you tried that work
Actually, Playing though my stack gives less noise even without any gate. When I was using the boss ns2 and tc electronic sentry (both in 4 cable method), or isp decimator there was no problem too with my previous tube heads. The kemper for what I remember was total noise free just with the input gate. The helix is a little bit less noisy but the gate is not super great. Don’t say this to provoke hm, but as you asked me …
The 2 videos here are done with a lp standard with burstbuckers. I have checked the wiring already and the solder are super well made … this is strangely one of my noisiest guitar. But even with the silent ones with emg etc it is better but similar. Also with the computer off is quite the same . It comes from the pickups I think, not something else, as the noise vary between the guitars. That’s sad that I don’t have anymore gate pedals just to retry and compare.

Have you tried putting the gate between the amp and cab and setting it to "Downward Expander" ? I found this works really well for me. Then use the gate in the input block set to "classic".
Before the update I have tried the gate on every position … before, after, between … 1 to 3 gate…

I think opinions differ depending on how you use the noise gate. For some people, a good noise gate is just something that cut totally the signal when they stop playing, for staccato rythm etc. And they don’t care if in the end their riff sound like guitar pro. For this no problem. If you just want to remove the noise in the silence it work. What I am looking for is something that let the signal perfectly as it originally is, just removing the ground and electrical noise. I don’t like the ultra gated metal stuff. It sound fake.

I want nothing more than this in the input block. This video show perfectly my need : You have whatever dist and bunch of noise with it, you push this and you have only the sound of the pedal without noise, and also no noise in silence too, and this, without coloring and changing nothing. And this will be my last post about the gate as I don’t want to be boring once again . But yeah check this :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom