Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Release Candidate 2 (Beta 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
it does seem to be somewhat also related to using the same amp instance twice since if I choose CA3LEAD on one side and Friedman HBE V1 on the other, the severe crackling goes away for me
correction - yes it does occur when 2 different amps are used (in my subsequent test, I forgot to turn on the dynamics parms on the HBE - so with CA3 running on one side and HBE running on the other - both with dynamics parms on (input dyn and out comp), I get the same severe crackle

Last edited:
I am continuing to love love love the Marshalls with this update. Spent all night on the Brit 800 factory preset -- a preset I generally didn't have a lot of use for. But with these betas it's just come alive for me. The #34 and Mod scenes especially, with a Telecaster, are rock monster scenes for me now.

I am continuing to love love love the Marshalls with this update. Spent all night on the Brit 800 factory preset -- a preset I generally didn't have a lot of use for. But with these betas it's just come alive for me. The #34 and Mod scenes especially, with a Telecaster, are rock monster scenes for me now.
You're not lying, #34 with a Les Paul melts faces! No overdrive necessary! Thanks for the rec!

Thanks to all the gang for vetting the Beta, before us vets think about my perfectly good 19.04 gets a make over. BTW it's all in the fingers and 10K hours at it. Everything else is whipped cream, and strippers....

One thing I think I need to say explicitly:

Thank you so much for taking the comments about the Herbert so seriously that you actually bought a new version of the amp in order to have the most desired version of its tone. This again smacks of the level of dedication you just don’t see from companies. I despise sycophantic writing and ass kissing, and I hate writing praise all over the place on this forum like this company is a damn religion or something, but the thing is, all the good things you read about Fractal are freaking true, and praising this kind of thing is not like the emperor’s new clothes, blind loyalty, or elitism. This is recognition of you always striving to make the best better, like continual improvement is the goal for its own sake, something rare in any kind of human endeavor, in my experience. It’s extraordinary, and deserves to be recognized. There’s so much bullshit from companies whose primary purpose is to make money without reference to any sort of ideal or philosophical value at all, but here, with firmware updates, you even get improvements that you write are probably not audible; this is the kind of rigor one would expect from science, not from anything having to do with electric guitarists. Again, it’s so far off from the way gear companies act en masse that one can’t help but be taken aback.

You could’ve just tweaked the original model by ear to match YouTube videos or something like that, but I do believe you just got an actual heavy as hell third generation Herbert and modeled it, very quickly too. I mean, I can’t think of anything I’ve seen that matches that level of dedication to the quest for tone. Even if I didn’t own an Axe-FX III I would find the knowledge of the improvements here inspiring and something to respect.

Hats off to the chef.
When you get to some point of detail and on, using (most) YouTube clips for an amp sim would be extremely difficult imo. But that's just a side-point for me.

There was no reasonable doubt in my mind the Herbert channel 3 sim was broken. But some things I heard from people, in private, came off to me as fanboy-like as hell. Defensive to absurdist levels. Much the same to the CK god-like worship with some Kemper guys. Not exactly attitudes that help develop stuff.

I don't think being in a position like Cliff is easy. You get so much constant praise (reasonable or not), genuine feedback, and you also deal with perceptions of faults that are often inaccurate.

Considering this, I appreciate that he doesn't "settle", either way, but has an intellectual curiosity in terms of how accurate his sims ultimately are. He does have a kind of integrity I respect.

(I'm not saying you are worshiping him, mind you; this isn't about you and the comment made. There are certainly justified reasons to praise Cliff imo, like some of what you write about).

Last edited:
So, I just started getting some popping too, and I don't know if it's the same thing others are experiencing, but I happened to be able to pinpoint it. I'm using Recto 1 Red, and i was dialing in the output eq. I switched it's location to pre PA, immediately got popping, switched it back and the popping stopped. I checked my Herbie preset, which had its output eq set to pre PA to simulate the amp's midcut and was getting the same result.

I don't think being in a position like Cliff is easy. You get so much constant praise (reasonable or not), genuine feedback, and you also deal with perceptions of faults that are often inaccurate.

Yeah, sifting through comments, trying to figure out whether it’s confirmation bias or a real issue. Not that he’d presume either way, but still it’s got to be a challenge separating wheat from chaff and finally isolating an issue. Most issues are probably found and fixed just in the everyday pursuit of perfection. Then along comes a more vague but consistent complaint like this Diezel beta thing. Guessing solving that kind of issue is especially satisfying.

About that popping. Will it go away when you lower the amp blocks volume and turn the main outputs up instead?
Because it sounds like a digital clipping because of a too loud signal.

I didn't really figure what you've meant...

It s simple... I ve two heads jvm410hjs that are very different from the standard jvm especially in the compression side.. The axe sim is spot on and i d give a simple advice on it.
I believe the 410HJS is the satriani model? Fab had the regular and the satch model and the axe nails the regular one. I think I have that right.

No, it's an AXE FX III MKII.
I have both an MKII and Turbo. I cannot duplicate it here. I still think it's settings. I usually have to tweak any modified preset, after a firmware update, maybe gain, bass, mid, treble, volume, but usually something. The factory untouched presets sometimes may need scene balancing. Popping could be clipping. Check your preset block chain.

I noticed some intermittent popping as well, seemed to be on 2-amp presets. I know it wasn't a clipping or CPU issue. If I can isolate when/where it's happening, will upload a preset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom