Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Release Candidate 2 (Beta 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely not cone buzz as it shifts positions in the stereo field from the middle, dry guitar tone then out to the left and right. Sounds more like clipping somewhere in the signal chain
@Greg Ferguson shared a tip a while back that has been very helpful, perhaps it would help you to confirm your suspicion?

Using the front panel:
Layout -> Zoom -> tab over to Meters

I love this feature (thanks again Greg!) You can see levels through the preset. In your case it may show if there's a an unusual spike in level somewhere causing subsequent cliipping.

Just a thought, hope it helps.

Don’t know about these cracks… I re-leveled all my presets everytime there is a new firmware beta or not with the levelling tool and it prevents these type of things

Man, I'm loving the sound of this Beta (8) !! Just need to get rid of the Rice Crispies (snap, crackle, and pop) and all will be good. :)

Any comments about the AFD in this release? I think it sounds pretty great. All Marshalls do.
Dude, the AFD are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G right now !!! The studio 20 ... I think that has way lot gain that the real amp would give but, anyway, sounds great too !!!

I keep the mind set that this is a Testing Forum, therefore if we hear something that we think might be OFF, we are supposed to report it, so that if it turns out to be a glitch or whatever, it can be taken care of before its final release to the entire Fractal Community! Right? Having said that, I have nothing but Praise for Fractal Products and Staff!

What amps are you using? In general Beta 7 and Beta 8 are identical except for a handful of amps.
5F8 and the DC30 EF86.

Could be my ears, or something in my setup, but nothing has changed on that end in a long time.

I loaded beta 8 a 2nd time on Saturday after going back to 7 (when Edit was showing different amps for my presets), did the "refresh on FW change" to fix the amp name thing, and also did the "reset amp block" and dialed in my settings, including reducing Speaker Drive by 50% to mimic beta 7 speaker drive, before using it live Sunday. I'll load 8 again tomorrow and do some A/B recordings.

@Greg Ferguson shared a tip a while back that has been very helpful, perhaps it would help you to confirm your suspicion?

Using the front panel:
Layout -> Zoom -> tab over to Meters

I love this feature (thanks again Greg!) You can see levels through the preset. In your case it may show if there's a an unusual spike in level somewhere causing subsequent cliipping.

Just a thought, hope it helps.
I think you quoted the wrong post. I was replying to someone else who thought the crackling sounded like cone buzz.

I keep the mind set that this is a Testing Forum, therefore if we hear something that we think might be OFF, we are supposed to report it, so that if it turns out to be a glitch or whatever, it can be taken care of before its final release to the entire Fractal Community! Right? Having said that, I have nothing but Praise for Fractal Products and Staff!
Agreed! The level of product support is truly amazing!

Even though Cliff doesn't really care about us weirdos that run a pedalboard into the Axe III's amps and cabs, I think my setup really highlights amp changes since I don't have the Axe doing all the effect stuff too. ;)

5F8 and the DC30 EF86.

Could be my ears, or something in my setup, but nothing has changed on that end in a long time.

I loaded beta 8 a 2nd time on Saturday after going back to 7 (when Edit was showing different amps for my presets), did the "refresh on FW change" to fix the amp name thing, and also did the "reset amp block" and dialed in my settings, including reducing Speaker Drive by 50% to mimic beta 7 speaker drive, before using it live Sunday. I'll load 8 again tomorrow and do some A/B recordings.
There were no changes to those amp models. Speaker Drive is the same in Beta 7 and Beta 8 so you shouldn't need to change that. That's probably what sounds different.

There were no changes to those amp models. Speaker Drive is the same in Beta 7 and Beta 8 so you shouldn't need to change that. That's probably what sounds different.
Ah, that could very well be it! I'll try it again tomorrow. I misunderstood and thought the speaker drive change was between 7 and 8, not 4 and 7. I'll try again tomorrow and record both 7 & 8.

Last edited:
Is Friedman HBE V1 FAT correct?
This is the difference between 20.04 and 21.00 beta 8
Same preset, same guitar, I've already reset amp block

The HBE FAT had a change done in this FW. From the Release Notes:

"Fixed wrong capacitor value in Friedman HBE V1 Fat model"

Don't know how much impact this has on the model but could possibly explain the tone difference.

Cliff could you double check to PV 5150 Block letter lead amp? I know it is a very mid forward amp but it sure seems to me like it has too much honk to it. The JCM 800 has always had a lot of mids being a marshall but I find the PV has a lot more honk than any of the marshall amps. TIA

Here's another amp test with Beta 8. This time I went with a 1991 (first year made) Mesa Mark IV Rev A and compared it to the USA Lead Mid Gain model. The Mark IV is arguably one of the hardest amps to dial in, but I think the model was able to get really close even though my amp is a Rev A and I think the model is a Rev B.

Again, I'm sure some minor tweaks could get it even closer, but I thought this was pretty impressive for that classic aggressive scooped MKIV tone. The clip switches is real time between the two in no particular order. I think it would be a pretty amazing feat to get a Rev A and a Rev B this similar... it's even more nuts that it's a real mic'd amp (no load box or IR) and an amp model getting this close.

Well done Cliff and Fractal team!

One is slightly more muffled and less aggressive than the other, i think it's the second segment after the first switch, which one is which? Just curious, they are both real close.

Cliff could you double check to PV 5150 Block letter lead amp? I know it is a very mid forward amp but it sure seems to me like it has too much honk to it. The JCM 800 has always had a lot of mids being a marshall but I find the PV has a lot more honk than any of the marshall amps. TIA
Do you remember the cab impulses you used?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom