Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta (Beta 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing with the beta and it's solid - gonna gig it this weekend. Contrary to some others, I had to go through and re-level my presets by dropping the amp block 2-3db - using mostly Marshalls. This could be due to the beefier low end that I'm hearing, which I'm liking a lot. Sounds more like a raw amp-in-room IMO. Like Cliff (or others) have mentioned, I'm able to remove the LoCut I had in the amp block in most cases without the low end getting congested. Digging it!

Not sure if this is a bug or a settings issue… Since updating to beta 21.00, I am hearing a faint but noticeable crackling sound in the delayed notes when using stereo digital delay. Everything else sounds great with the update. 👍
Some users have reported an increase in volume with this beta. Check the meters in the Preset Leveling tool and see if the delay repeats are hitting the red, I've noticed crackling on delays and reverbs if this happens. If so, lower the amp(s) Level a bit to keep from hitting the red in the meters.

Wait, what? Seriously?
Hum...I would also question that...🤔 Been doing sound professionally for almost 30 years, AND been on tour with Metallica/Big Mick (doing support slots). 200Hz low cut on a metal guitar seems brutal, unless it's at a very, very soft angle - but that kind of defeats the purpose of lowcut. Also Big Mick uses more than one microphone/channel pr. guitar (or he used to anyway, back in 2009, when I was touring with him), and cabs was in an iso-chamber), so no reason to worry about low-end feedback. But hey - didn't exactly stand behind the man, checking his mixer settings - and I guess he could have changed his approach over the last 12 years as well, you never know. 🤷🏽 - He is a brilliant sound engineer btw, one of the best. 🤘

I'm not sure if it's beta related or not, but since I've been in this beta for a couple of days now, and it never happened to me before, I'm going to ask it here,
I was playing when all of a sudden this popped up on my fractal screen. IMG_0806.jpg
(It's been like 1 hour and still the same)
What should I do? Just to make it clear, I was just playing not doing any update or similar.

I'm not sure if it's beta related or not, but since I've been in this beta for a couple of days now, and it never happened to me before, I'm going to ask it here,
I was playing when all of a sudden this popped up on my fractal screen. View attachment 109842
(It's been like 1 hour and still the same)
What should I do? Just to make it clear, I was just playing not doing any update or similar.

I would start by switching to a different shampoo. Jeeez!

but seriously, I'd turn it off, then trigger the emergency boot loader:

Problems during/After Firmware Update

The Axe-Fx III has a built-in recovery system known as the “Emergency Boot Loader” to protect you against mishaps during firmware update. To boot from the emergency boot loader:

1. Power down the unit and wait five seconds.
  2. Power on holding both Page Left and Page Right buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears.
  3. Update as normal using Fractal-Bot.

I would start by switching to a different shampoo. Jeeez!

but seriously, I'd turn it off, then trigger the emergency boot loader:

Problems during/After Firmware Update

The Axe-Fx III has a built-in recovery system known as the “Emergency Boot Loader” to protect you against mishaps during firmware update. To boot from the emergency boot loader:

1. Power down the unit and wait five seconds.
  2. Power on holding both Page Left and Page Right buttons until the Emergency Utility page appears.
  3. Update as normal using Fractal-Bot.

Once I uploaded the photo, I realized how dusty it is, :-/ I always use it through my laptop, I never touch the front panel.

Thanks for your help, I'll try the emergency boot loader.

So, I'm a big Les Paul & Marshall guy and my number 1 guitar is a '58 reissue that, to me, is something very special. After moving on from some serious family health issues a couple of years ago, I was all setting on picking up a '59 reissue to go with it. The AFX has broadened my tastes amp wise ten fold, so I figured I do the same with guitars and picked up a PRS McCarty 594 DC. Same ballpark, right?
It's an incredible guitar in every aspect, but to me it didn't sound anything like a Les Paul and has it's own thing going on. I've only ever played it through the AFX3, but couldn't get it to play well with the Marshally type amps. It seemed more suited to things like Mesas or the EVHs. Honestly, tone wise, it was great, but not a patch on my '58. In every other aspect though, it's definitely it's equal and it gets a lot of play time.

Something about this latest update to the modelling, especially the Marshalls, is like its flicked a compatibility switch for the PRS and now it does sound more like a Les Paul, and a bloody good one at that! Still has that slightly different vibe going on though. All my LP & Marshall patches sound incredible with the PRS now, but all the old PRS tuned patches still sound great! I couldn't be happier. The 594 has now elevated into the same rarified air as the '58. The definition and clarity of the 594 has always been incredible, but now with the bark, honk and roar........... Oooof!

IMG_0237.jpeg

So, I'm a big Les Paul & Marshall guy and my number 1 guitar is a '58 reissue that, to me, is something very special. After moving on from some serious family health issues a couple of years ago, I was all setting on picking up a '59 reissue to go with it. The AFX has broadened my tastes amp wise ten fold, so I figured I do the same with guitars and picked up a PRS McCarty 594 DC. Same ballpark, right?
It's an incredible guitar in every aspect, but to me it didn't sound anything like a Les Paul and has it's own thing going on. I've only ever played it through the AFX3, but couldn't get it to play well with the Marshally type amps. It seemed more suited to things like Mesas or the EVHs. Honestly, tone wise, it was great, but not a patch on my '58. In every other aspect though, it's definitely it's equal and it gets a lot of play time.

Something about this latest update to the modelling, especially the Marshalls, is like its flicked a compatibility switch for the PRS and now it does sound more like a Les Paul, and a bloody good one at that! Still has that slightly different vibe going on though. All my LP & Marshall patches sound incredible with the PRS now, but all the old PRS tuned patches still sound great! I couldn't be happier. The 594 has now elevated into the same rarified air as the '58. The definition and clarity of the 594 has always been incredible, but now with the bark, honk and roar........... Oooof!

View attachment 109851
Hmm, my 594 sounds great with my R9 presets and vice versa. Different but close and very complimentary

View attachment 109851
I own Gibson's, PRS's, and Fenders. They all have their own tones. My PRS's (all have different pickups) sound great with most anything I throw at them... and sure, it's different than a Les Paul. But, shouldn't they have their own voice? Plus, the volume and tone controls work better on my PRS guitars than the Gibson's. I'm going to change them. It's one reason I have 12 guitars... they all have an unique vibe. I use various Marshalls for many of my main tones.
Nice guitar btw.

Here’s my PRS collection

Attachments

• BE7CE5C8-FAEA-42BF-89AA-5E87CAC14BF3.jpeg
    BE7CE5C8-FAEA-42BF-89AA-5E87CAC14BF3.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
The amp modeling is perfect i don't know think it can be any better.

Its just tough to find good Impulse responses which is basically half the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom