Axe-Fx Firmware Version 21.00 Public Beta #2 (Beta 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this was the standard then when @mynameismud was giving feedback that pretty everyone panned (including me) it would not have resulted in Cliff fixing the issue. Who knows if a problem is "ear fatigue / condition" or a real problem? Clearly not almost everyone on the site who attacked @mynameismud. It is a beta. The purpose of a beta is to test for bugs. Let people report bugs without trying to shut them down with vague standards like "listening position and ear fatigue / condition".
I’m not shutting anyone down , I’m saying it’s a factor

And there’s nothing vague about listening position and ear fatigue

It is what it is lol

It may be useful for you to go back and look at the thread where @mynameismud gave his feedback. Sometimes when you are comparing the Axe to a real amp it can be difficult to do that and it came across negatively. I was was critical of mud at the time. But he was right. If FAS has an issue with something they are not shy about pointing it out. Why not let people provide feedback the best they can and let FAS decide what to do with the information instead of us trying to dictate it?
You're talking about a different scenario and yes, there will be times when a comparison won't work. The scenario being discussed is 'hearing' a difference in an amp model in the Axe III between two different firmware versions.

You're talking about a different scenario and yes, there will be times when a comparison won't work. The scenario being discussed is 'hearing' a difference in an amp model in the Axe III between two different firmware versions.
Even then it is not that easy. For those who only have one Axe it requires loading up different firmwares etc. It is a beta. FAS released this one with 12 amps still to test because they wanted to get it out to users to test. Let people test it and give their feedback. Cliff seems perfectly capable to deciding what is needed from people who provide it to get to the issue than listening to people whose "brain is crazy" and "rarely trust what it tells [them]"

Last edited:
Even then it is not that easy. For those who only have one Axe it requires loading up different firmwares etc. It is a beta. FAS released this one with 12 amps still to test because they wanted to get it out to users to test. Let people test it and give their feedback. Cliff seems perfectly capable to deciding what is needed from people who provide it to get to the issue.
I thought it was more like letting the kids grab a taste of cookie dough as the cookies go into the oven, so they're less likely to nag "when is soon? Are these Klon flavored?"

Are you going to do a before and after of all 300+ amps?
No, that would be a nightmare, I would only focus on a few amps I use frequently (mostly Mesa and Marshall). However, now that you bring that up, I'd be surprised if Fractal doesn't already do that as part of their QA process. What we do is more UAT...

Are you going to do a before and after of all 300+ amps?
Good grief, seriously? I have no idea how you could even remotely draw the conclusion that was what I was suggesting. No one ever alluded to doing this for all of the amps in any way, shape or form.

Probably doesn't warrant an explanation, but for the cheap seats:
This discussion started with a possible issue that a member noticed with one amp model, the Friedman HBE V1 Fat, from Beta 1 to Beta 2. Another member suggested that those who are hearing differences between beta/FW versions provide an audio clip of both versions so there is objective evidence of what they are hearing. I agree with this suggestion.

Most of the claims of things being different between betas that didn't have any changes to the amp modeling turn out to be nothing more than our ears playing tricks on us. A few have been found to be actual issues that were addressed. Having a recording showing the difference(s) would save a lot of back and forth discussions trying to determine if something did in fact change.

Here's my comparison of beta 2 vs beta 1 using Recto 2 and the Maxon. This is my first time ever reamping something so I hope I did it correctly. Same settings for both but I reset the amp and drive blocks beforehand just in case. First half is beta 2, second half is beta 1.

In beta 2, it sounds/feels a bit more boomy in the low end or perhaps low mids. Not sure if that sort of thing will come across in this clip or if I'm imagining it.

Also I'm sure most people will find this to be fizzy garbage. Sounds ferocious to me. :cool:

I had similar experience with my Mesa v30s with beta 1. (I'm still in beta 1)
At first I thought they sounded like blown as well, but after I have played some more, I think they sound like if the V30s were converted into FRFR speakers and I would have forgotten to add the speaker block in the preset.
it is possible that there is now too much information going to the speakers?
IIRC, having just reread the long Cygnus 1 release thread, some people (including Cliff? — but see edit) started preferring shorter IRs, and/or less of them.
Your last line makes me think of that. It may just mean that the firmware became more balanced in general though, although yes, seems it did add a lot of detail as well.

[edit] One of these was https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...gnus-firmware-public-beta.170253/post-2051929
and oops, Cliff's comment was from before that update and I don't know if he still feels the same...
"I've actually been turning down the IR length lately on my personal patches, typically 512 samples, as I find it makes the IR 'clearer'."
www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/those-who-own-a-axe-fx-and-a-kemper-whats-your-story.2092607/post-29444860

Last edited:
IIRC, having just reread the long Cygnus 1 release thread, some people (including Cliff?) started preferring shorter IRs, and/or less of them.
I think it's just been much easier to find a decent IR since Cygnus, not necessarily any particular IR length. It also plays well with much longer IRs in plugins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom