Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Thanksgiving, thanks to all the Fractal Heads. I love seeing what you all have to say and it also makes my own obsession to the AXE FX 3 seem a bit more normal!! I love the journey in chasing "the tone" and I get closer to it every day. I toast everyone today that is on that ride and hope you all find it this year (even though you won't!!).

Ok, so I jumped from FW16.x to 18 beta.

All my presets use either JFET or Optical Compressor type.

In all of them, the Compression value has been changed to 10. Confirmed from both the front panel and Axe-Edit.

Is anyone else seeing this?

In all of them, the Compression value has been changed to 10. Confirmed from both the front panel and Axe-Edit.

I can confirm the JFET compression has changed to 10 in all my presets except my global blocks. My global JFET compression block has changed from a stored value of 3.99 to 1.19. Firmware seems to be working great otherwise!

I can confirm the JFET compression has changed to 10 in all my presets except my global blocks. My global JFET compression block has changed from a stored value of 3.99 to 1.19. Firmware seems to be working great otherwise!
Thanks for confirming. I had not seen anyone post on this issue.

I haven't decided yet if I will stay on the beta or not. Been using my FM9 since I got it...

I have tried all the presets with a compressor, no bad surprises, sometimes the sound was a little bit quieter here with the tube and analog compressor , just some level adjustement sometimes

Hi,
Is this a bug?
On my globally linked PEQs the gain got reduced again by factor 1.66666. This was part of an update, when the PEQs range got changed from +/- 12 db to +/- 20 db and made sense then. And the recalculation stopped once every preset got saved on the current firmware basis, so the system noticed it is a current preset and needs no correction.
My preset got stored two dozen times since that PEQ update and the gain values got not recalculated anymore when saving the preset.

But now again they got messed up? What went wrong?

Edit: Some presets survived it, some not. It seems I have some corrupted presets here. Bug is on my side, sorry.

Last edited:
Here's a diagram to visually demonstrate.

The upper section of the drawing shows how Axe-Fx USB RECORD 1&2 normally capture the signal from the OUT 1 block. Meanwhile, this same signal from the OUT 1 block is mixed with audio from Axe-Fx USB PLAYBACK 1&2 and passed to Out 1 L/R jacks.

The lower section of the drawing reveals where the local OUT 1 MUTE setting is applied. Here is a typical use case:

1. The DAW uses USB PLAYBACK 1&2 to address Out 1 L/R jacks as main monitors.
2. Processed Audio ("The Grid") is routed from Axe-Fx III Out 1 to a DAW track.

3. DAW track Input Monitoring is engaged, allowing this track to be heard in the main monitors. Additional plugins applied to this track in the DAW are also heard in realtime.​

So, the Out 1 Mode "Mute" setting ensures that processed audio (the "Grid") is NOT also sent to the main monitors, since the DAW is already passing it.​

View attachment 91957
What software is this you drew that with? Corel designer?

Are you using those types (JFET, Optical)?

I thought about reverting back to 16, then going to 17 and seeing if anything changes then going to 18.
So, I went to 17.02... similar issue. The compression value changed from 2.7 to 1.68 on JFET type and Optical from 2.5 to 1.5 (or something like that).

Went back to 16.05 and my settings were back where they should be.

So, I went to 17.02... similar issue. The compression value changed from 2.7 to 1.68 on JFET type and Optical from 2.5 to 1.5 (or something like that).

Went back to 16.05 and my settings were back where they should be.
Did you simply install 16.05 or did you reinstall your presets after doing so? I have a gig coming up quickly and am debating about rolling back so I don't have to redo my compressor settings in a short time frame. NOTE: I SUCK at dialing in compressors!

Read the release notes.
Ok. I wasn't expecting the settings to be changed based on this. I guess the last bullet could cover that...

Overhauled the Compressor block:

• Improved Auto-Makeup gain behavior.
  • Added Input Level switch. When set to INSTRUMENT the detector is optimized for guitar-level signals, i.e., before an amp block. When set to LINE the detector is optimized for post-amp level signals.
  • The Pedal, Optical, Tube, Analog, JFET and Dynamicomp types have been completely redone resulting in improved performance. These types now inherently perform automatic makeup gain.
  • Auto Attack/Release has been removed from the Pedal and Dynamicomp types as it is no longer applicable.
  • NOTE: Due to all these changes the behavior and output volume of the Compressor block may be different. It is recommended to audition any presets using the Compressor block and adjust as required.

But it doesn't explain why they are different from 16.05 to 17.02, either unless there is something I missed in those release notes?

Here is my compressor block in 16.05

FW1605.PNG

Here is it in 17.02:
FW1702.PNG

Here is 18.00b1:

FW1800b1.PNG

I can obviously adjust it... Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a bug.

Attachments

• 1637982537175.png
    1637982537175.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 17
I need to redo all my compressor blocks. The combined changes in 17 and 18 changed all blocks in some way or another.

Hoping there will be no further changes for the final release, because I start updating now.

I need to redo all my compressor blocks. The combined changes in 17 and 18 changed all blocks in some way or another.

Hoping there will be no further changes for the final release, because I start updating now.
It is a Beta release so it's likely there are no guarantees that nothing else will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom