Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read through this entire thread, but that was last week and I can't remember if anyone else has reported this...

When I change presets there is a loud popping noise. Also, does this when I change scenes. Been waiting for an update to 18.x that I'm hoping will fix this.

This happens with Axe Edit (haven't tried on the unit). Could this be because Axe Edit has not been updated yet?

I have not tried the new firmware beta yet, but I've encountered this issue with presets in the past when one of the blocks has really high levels. Take a look at all the blocks and make sure one does not have abnormal high levels (and usually another knob that is lower than normal to balance it out). Hope that makes sense.
does it happen on all?

EVM12L SIC causes instability on Angle Severe 1 and 2, loud hum, first @ 36Hz, harmonics @ approx 70Hz intervals
Similar to https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fixed-bug-angle-severe-1-hum-from-presence.168836/
Support page forces me to connect to google (captcha), pi-hole says no 🤓
If you haven't submitted a support ticket, ideally post the preset for best response from user community and FAS.

Also, is the issue only happening with that SIC? Or is it the amp (regardless of SIC)?

I've never been a big user of compressors, mostly because I don't really understand how the controls work. I have been creating patches using the new ones. The JFET compressor sounds and feels amazing. Before the Axe, compressors I used didn't have a 'Mix knob. I don't understand why this isn't a standard feature on all compressor pedals. Being able to mix compression in a certain amount is crucial, IMO. I have the best clean tones I've ever had. Single coils benefit so much from compression, I don't think I can go back to not using it.

Fantastic update. Thanks, Cliff!

anybody try using the mute output1 feature, to see if we can mute monitors and use headphones?
@jin1995x

out 1 and the headphone out are the same signal. the best thing to do would be to run your monitors from out 2. make sure out 2 is set to echo out 1 in the global audio prefs and then you can use the front panel volume controls to independently control the volume of the monitors and the headphones

If you haven't submitted a support ticket, ideally post the preset for best response from user community and FAS.

Also, is the issue only happening with that SIC? Or is it the amp (regardless of SIC)?
I have no issues with any preset (except those with the Angle Severe), all that's needed is output (to hear the issue or see it on output meters) plus amp block and select the SIC. With some fiddling it can be reproduced with 4x12 euro and load box SIC's as well, didn't try more a lot of SICs. Model is Original AFIII.

Last edited:
To those like myself who are fuzzy on how compressors work the best write up I’ve found is in the Nov. 2021 issue of Sound On Sound. The link only provides the first few pages of the article but enough I think for one to judge whether it’s worth dropping $1.49 USD for a pdf version to read. Alternatively maybe your public library provides free online access to the magazine which is how I was able to read it.

At the end of the article the author says -

“Once you understand threshold, ratio, attack and release, and how they interact, you’ll be a long way towards being able to use compression to get the results you want.

So, my advice to anyone starting out is to focus on these core controls first — or rather, second. The first thing should always be to ask yourself why you’re using a compressor at all, and what result you’re aiming for.”

Potential bug: when switching scenes in a preset from one with a bypassed JFET compressor to a scene with an active Pedal 2 compressor, there's a strange muting and slow release. I briefly switched the second scene to stay on the JFET compressor (but activated) and the mute/release stopped. This was late last night, so I'll try to duplicate again today.

8F98816A-6AED-4BC0-813D-4D3BEFE01A65.jpeg
Found a weird bug with the Custom Shifter. Whenever I play a minor barre shape on the A string on the lower frets, it makes a super crazy glitched out sound. Think 1s and 0s or a wire melting. I’ve attached the settings I used, pitch being the only block in between the in and out.

View attachment 92345
Found a weird bug with the Custom Shifter. Whenever I play a minor barre shape on the A string on the lower frets, it makes a super crazy glitched out sound. Think 1s and 0s or a wire melting. I’ve attached the settings I used, pitch being the only block in between the in and out.
Might be helpful to show your scale as well...

Re: Auto Makeup Gain which is now automatically included with a number of compressor types (i.e. Pedal). I seem to be getting more auto makeup gain on my compressor block (Pedal2 type before amp - input level set to "instrument") than the amount of gain reduction the compressor settings are generating - (have to set the compressor output level to a negative value to compensate for auto-makeup-gain). Is this to be expected? I thought auto-makeup would level the compressor so that, with it's output level at 0, patch output volume would remain constant with compressor on or off. I thought maybe the amp was the reason but even taking out the amp / cab as in the attached preset, the auto-makeup gain generated seems more than needed, unless I don't understand the mechanism (a distinct possibility).

Attachments

• makeupgain.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Re: Auto Makeup Gain which is now automatically included with a number of compressor types (i.e. Pedal). I seem to be getting more auto makeup gain on my compressor block (Pedal2 type before amp - input level set to "instrument") than the amount of gain reduction the compressor settings are generating - (have to set the compressor output level to a negative value to compensate for auto-makeup-gain). Is this to be expected? I thought auto-makeup would level the compressor so that, with it's output level at 0, patch output volume would remain constant with compressor on or off. I thought maybe the amp was the reason but even taking out the amp / cab as in the attached preset, the auto-makeup gain generated seems more than needed, unless I don't understand the mechanism (a distinct possibility).
The amount of makeup gain needed for unity gain in total will depend on the volume of the signal going into the confessor compressor. "Auto" can only get you so far. There's nothing inherently wrong with positive or negative output gain settings.

Last edited:
The amount of makeup gain needed for unity gain in total will depend on the volume of the signal going into the confessor. "Auto" can only get you so far. There's nothing inherently wrong with positive or negative output gain settings.
ok, that's what I was seeing in my tests - but then I don't see the purpose of auto-makeup gain if I have to compensate anyway - and now in a more kind of unintuitive way since I'm now reducing output level with gain reduction showing on the meter. I think I'd prefer auto-makeup to be optional if I'll have to compensate anyway, and since I'm so used to adding output level to compensate for downward compression.

ok, that's what I was seeing in my tests - but then I don't see the purpose of auto-makeup gain if I have to compensate anyway - and now in a more kind of unintuitive way since I'm now reducing output level with gain reduction showing on the meter. I think I'd prefer auto-makeup to be optional if I'll have to compensate anyway, and since I'm so used to adding output level to compensate for downward compression.
I hear you. This is life with Auto makeup gain setups, in my experience -- it's not just a Fractal thing.

I think the idea is that you have to use your ears anyway, and it'll probably require less manual adjustment than if it wasn't there. In some cases it might actually be right, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom