Axe-Fx Firmware Release Version 18.00 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit - my question has been answered so go straight to Thank you and ignore the rest.

I think I‘m excited by Global Speaker Curves, but not yet certain.

I play my Axe FX into a power amp and conventional cab and have long been frustrated by the fact that every time I try a new amp, I have to dial out the default speaker curve and set it to null. Does this mean that I can set null as a global and then change amps with impunity without having to tweak every time?

If so - Thank you! I have wanted this for years.

Oh, and the comp changes look great as well.
Yes, if you set the new Global default SIC, it will be selected as the default anytime you select a new amp model.

that's not what i was asking. if there is audio returning to the axe fx via the usb, will it still be heard via output 1 if output 1 is muted? is the mute point before the grid/usb mix point or after? i guess i'll find out when i install it....!
Yeah, sorry if my response wasn't clear. USB audio is not affected by the Mute option so you can still monitor and record normally from the DAW. Only the direct monitoring signal from the grid is muted. Works great for using DAW plugins and monitoring via software.

I'd be in favor of an "in-between" solution.

I don't see a practical use to the global parameter applying to the SIC curve in all Amp blocks in all presets. It would seriously mess up factory presets, dual-amp presets and more. It should always be a selection.

So I'd like a solution (if possible….)
  • that provides 4 global SIC fields in the Global menu (plus the other options), named A B C D
  • where I can select a specific curve per field, in the Global menu
  • and expand the SIC options on the Amp block's Speaker page with: A B C D.
This would allow me to set each Amp block to one of the 4 global SIC fields (ABCD), and change this value across multiple presets in the Global menu, at any time.
That sounds complicated to me. Afaik the global SIC was mostly requested for poweramp and guitar cab setups where you typically have just one cab so if you change amp models you want to keep SIC tuned to that particular setup so you don't have to go change it to a specific curve or resistive load or whatever you find works best if you change amp models or presets. So to me a simple "override this setting globally" is the most straightforward way to apply it.

If Fractal really wanted to supercharge the global/I/O settings section, adding preset functionality would be the way to go. I know it's been requested before. I currently use the output parametric and graphic EQs as "presets" for different output devices (e.g. studio monitors vs headphones) but I would love a more complex system where I could add a "headphones" preset, "studio monitors" preset, "poweramp and guitar cab" preset and so on. Would make connecting to different setups child's play.

If this is something they can't do for current gen for some reason, I think it would be a must have for next gen Fractal products.

That sounds complicated to me. Afaik the global SIC was mostly requested for poweramp and guitar cab setups where you typically have just one cab so if you change amp models you want to keep SIC tuned to that particular setup so you don't have to go change it to a specific curve or resistive load or whatever you find works best if you change amp models or presets. So to me a simple "override this setting globally" is the most straightforward way to apply it.

If Fractal really wanted to supercharge the global/I/O settings section, adding preset functionality would be the way to go. I know it's been requested before. I currently use the output parametric and graphic EQs as "presets" for different output devices (e.g. studio monitors vs headphones) but I would love a more complex system where I could add a "headphones" preset, "studio monitors" preset, "poweramp and guitar cab" preset and so on. Would make connecting to different setups child's play.

If this is something they can't do for current gen for some reason, I think it would be a must have for next gen Fractal products.
Many users have presets for different setups. Some might be configured for live use with an amp and cab, some might be setup for recording. Many users also have mixed presets where they have an amp and cab setup for their stage sound but still use an FRFR type setup for FOH in the same preset. A global setting that overrides all amps in all presets would not allow that kind of flexibility.

Many users have presets for different setups. Some might be configured for live use with an amp and cab, some might be setup for recording. Many users also have mixed presets where they have an amp and cab setup for their stage sound but still use an FRFR type setup for FOH in the same preset. A global setting that overrides all amps in all presets would not allow that kind of flexibility.
Then it's the same as the toggles for poweramp and cab modeling. If you have more complex usecases then it's best to configure it in the preset instead.

Yeah, sorry if my response wasn't clear. USB audio is not affected by the Mute option so you can still monitor and record normally from the DAW. Only the direct monitoring signal from the grid is muted. Works great for using DAW plugins and monitoring via software.
also yek said - Incoming computer audio such as YouTube is NOT muted when using the new MUTE OUT1 option in I/O > Audio.
When recording or playing back in a DAW, with the DAW track set to USB channels 1-2, incoming audio from the DAW is also NOT muted when using the new MUTE OUT1 option in I/O > Audio. So you'll hear software monitoring only.

and M@ said - This was requested an unusual number of times in our support channel. This feature is also intended to be added to the FM3 and FM9. I'll update the Axe-Fx III manual this week.

holy crap. i've been wanting this since i had an ultra. i run fx from a laptop connected via usb and i've always wanted the ability to "dry kill" the axe fx, so i can just hear the plugins. it's a great day. rejoice!

Last edited:
...new MUTE OUT 1 option
Here's a diagram to visually demonstrate.

The upper section of the drawing shows how Axe-Fx USB RECORD 1&2 normally capture the signal from the OUT 1 block. Meanwhile, this same signal from the OUT 1 block is mixed with audio from Axe-Fx USB PLAYBACK 1&2 and passed to Out 1 L/R jacks.

The lower section of the drawing reveals where the local OUT 1 MUTE setting is applied. Here is a typical use case:

1. The DAW uses USB PLAYBACK 1&2 to address Out 1 L/R jacks as main monitors.

2. Processed Audio ("The Grid") is routed from Axe-Fx III Out 1 to a DAW track.

3. DAW track Input Monitoring is engaged, allowing this track to be heard in the main monitors. Additional plugins applied to this track in the DAW are also heard in realtime.​

So, the Out 1 Mode "Mute" setting ensures that processed audio (the "Grid") is NOT also sent to the main monitors, since the DAW is already passing it.​

1637599120857.png

holy crap. i've been wanting this since i had an ultra. i run fx from a laptop connected via usb and i've always wanted the ability to "dry kill" the axe fx, so i can just hear the plugins. it's a great day. rejoice!

and M@ said - This was requested an unusual number of times in our support channel. This feature is also intended to be added to the FM3 and FM9. I'll update the Axe-Fx III manual this week.

I learnt to do this on Reaper creating a monitoring fx channel, and just disengaging output1 but keeping output 2 on. I use input 3/4 in ASIO interface setting and use the usb output mapping. I Use axe 3 as an interface ofcourse

This works on monitoring channel which is just for calibration or also on tracks with plugins i want to use in the mix aslong as input monitoring is on.

Thats what i have been doing for past few months. This helps me use headphones or monitors connected to output1 or the headphone jack with monitoring only while dry killing the axe.

Last edited:
Thank you for another wonderful update. I'm especially enjoying the new impedance curves and the redone compressors. Thank you to Dr. Bonkers and Cliff for your hard work. These updates definitely help get some of us through the day.

Wow, was just messing around with the virtual capo and can really tell it's been improved since 16.05. I thought I saw that Cliff had done something in 17.01 but I never got around to updating to that one and went right to 18...but it is freaking awesome. Nice work!

Wow, was just messing around with the virtual capo and can really tell it's been improved since 16.05. I thought I saw that Cliff had done something in 17.01 but I never got around to updating to that one and went right to 18...but it is freaking awesome. Nice work!
What is the change or improvements you feel? I use virtual capo on 99% of my presets. Yet i couldnt really tell noticeable difference i mean it was already great for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom