Axe-Fest II

My opinion:If its about money,then have it like a pay per view event and stream it world wide,think of how many people would attend,unlike what looks like the 20 or so that are there.

There were more than 20 people there. The pictures you saw above were mostly of setup/teardown in-between times. There's angles you can't see. I myself was sitting center/rear. IMHO that's where it sounds best and I was doing the camera thing.

I think the major lesson learned is be in the room during the breaks and in-between times because you might get some strings (me), a hat, a t-shirt, prototype cables made by Cliff's own hand, OR A FREAKIN MATRIX AMP FOR PETE"S SAKE! That was awesome. OF course the randomizer was wrong, so it wasn't me, but hey that's life I was just happy to be there taking on the role of Worst Guitarist In The Building.

Someone has to do it.

Anyway I have 25Gb of 1080p from today.

It's not about money.. it's about content control. That why some of the video from last years event has never been released.

That's certainly understandable from performance perspective, but tutorial content??

I would be super happy if just Cliff's presentation made it to video
Nothing against all the other presenters, I'm sure they were the icing on the cake

Axefest Day 2, the fun continues.

Highlights for me personally, in no particular order...
* Continued great conversations about gear and other stuff with attendees
* Cooper Carter's guitar playing & Q&A was informative
* Cliff Chase! The world is a better place with a Cliff Chase. Great talk about amps & tones with about 70% going right over my head. Shit, I can barely spell IR.
* photo OP with Cliff, Matt & the beta team that was present at Axefest
* Sean Ashe playing guitar & assisting with the Matrix presentation was cool & informative.
* Afternoon break to see the amp show. Met some cool people and saw some com guitars & gear, but really the best room in the place was the Axefest room.
* live music was off the charts with James Santiago and friends. Everyone a top level player, laying down great tunes, dripping with groove. Super enjoyable! Q&A with James & Chris was fantastic
* MC Matt (again!!)
* all the hand shakes and good vibes while packing up and saying good byes

Ready for AXEFEST III
As you were....

Santiago & Friends tore the house down. Before the set kicked off you could sense something amazing was about to happen, and it did.

Couple things I didn't get to at Axefest II, but would have liked to...

In no particular order
* photo with Cliff, Matt & myself. I came close to getting a photo with Cliff, but the timing wasn't right. Maybe next year..
* would have liked to shake yek's hand and tell him personally "thank you". Yek, thank you!
* would have liked to meet all of the Axefest attendees. I did my best to shake hands and introduce myself and my wife when she was with me, but I found it impossible to meet everyone. I am grateful to have shared meaningful conversation with those I did meet
* would have liked to remember better questions to ask during each of the q&a portions of presentations.

* wish I would have asked Cliff if we could have an axe edit feature to convert all the amp nick names to the real amp names.... That would have been cool.

Matrix Amplifcation review

Picture "Borrowed" from a Matrix Amplification entry on Facebook.
View attachment 17823

Review of what I found at the Matrix Amplification display area.
Matrix demo setup of their new FR212 cabs with some pre-production amps.
Each cabinet is setup with two 2x12's and a crossover horn. The white amps on each cabinet are preproduction models with a programmable DSP that has been tuned to the cabinet to provide the flattest frequency response possible. Each amp had a single speakon connector out to each cab. The amps were rated at approx. 1000 watts each. The amps were preproduction models and I think they were painted white to label them as preprod. I was told they were also going to be building a 1000w power amp block that would be mount inside the cabinet, similar to the Q12a's.
There was also a Q12a and a Q12 wedge on display in the picture also. Sitting just below the Axe-FX was a 5000w amp they brought along just in case the neighbors wanted to get into a volume contest. They never hooked it up and I think it was just a toy one of the staff built to show they could do it if they wanted.
Neil Turbin from Anthrax was there and did a little volume check on the rig. It was definitely one of those times when you could feel your insides moving around. It was loud and clear. I can't believe the windows didn't blow out in the room. Did I mention it was scary loud? Then John from Matrix showed us the volume knob on the amps. Almost half-way. Made me really think twice about "turning it up to eleven". It was too much and funny loud. It had so much power and yet was so clear, no flub, no mud, no woofing. Neil seemed to keep it blasting for at least 30 min. You knew any minute something is going to give. Eventually it was me. Funny to watch people run past the doorway to the room holding their ears with a look of terror in their eyes. Amps barely got warm..
Matrix also had on display their new NL12 and NL212 speaker cabinets. Everyone was invited to pick them up and could not believe how light they were. I mentioned "hey, you forgot to put the speaker in this thing". It felt like a empty cabinet. They hooked them up to a GT1000 amp and they sounded great. Many people were surprised how much volume was put out of the NL12.
Both John and Pete from Matrix were there to assist anybody with any questions they had, help hook up any Matrix Cab to any Matrix Amp, try any Axe-FX preset they wanted. Some people brought in their own guitars, someone even brought in their own Axe-FX preset to try with all the cabs and amps. Lots of chug chug chug, Van Halen, then finally late Sunday one gentleman played a super wide variety of sounds/tunes. VH, Pink Floyd, Ethereal Sounds, U2, GNR, RHCP, etc. Lots of different stuff and it was great to hear how well the amps and cabs responded to all the different styles.
Andy Hunt was also there to answer any engineering questions, but most of the time he was busy smiling watching people's look of amazement when playing with the Matrix gear.
Great people, great equipment.

Last edited:
Someone wanted a pic of the new MCF-101 MkIII that showed the XLR jack. Here it is:

mfc101mkiii.jpg

It's a bit dark, sorry, but you can see that they're using the Ethercon on it and the XLR jack for FASLINK communication is over on the far right side of the unit. They'll be a pair of boxes (the X1 and X2) that you can buy to convert an existing MFC-101 from Ethernet/Ethercon to XLR. It's a great idea and I think it really kicks the durability of the MFC-101 up a notch.

Of course, we're all looking at our Vafam patch panels now and thinking...man...gotta send it in to get the Ethercon replaced with an XLR jack! :)

Here's Andy Wood getting some patches dialled in with Cliff in the Fractal Audio room. Cliff and Andy pulled up some stock presets, tweaked them a bit, then Andy used the for his live show. Just like that. It was really cool to see Cliff work and even cooler was watching someone as amazingly professional and competent as Andy just follow his ears. No deep obsession over the exact right settings or cabs or what not. Just some general guidance like "more gain" or "brighter" or "more sizzle" and that was it.

andywood.jpg

Andy telling us how he stuck his guitar in the dryer this morning and the darn thing shrank:

andywood2.jpg

Andy tearing it up:

andywood3.jpg

Felix Martin doing things on 14 strings that blew my mind. In one break between songs he talked about how he liked having 14 strings because he could do things like this...proceeds to play a major scale over top and interspersed with a minor scale on the other neck and BOOM heads exploded.

felixmartin.jpg

and how did it sound?

It sounded pretty good at normal volumes. But when they cranked it, I was at the back and I swear I saw everyone's head move back simultaneously. A face melter indeed. From what I could tell from the sound, it needed to be tweaked at that volume since it changed the character a bit... Fletcher-Munson. They didn't do this because obviously they don't want to sterilize everyone in the audience. Overall, it sounded pretty good at regular small gig volume, but it appears to have tons of headroom if needed.

Back
Top Bottom