Axe-Edit Communication Error? (resolved)

ConnorGilks

Experienced
I've been using Axe-Edit 3 just fine since it came out until today. I opened up a patch on my AxeFX II and went to rename it. I change the name and hit enter and I wait while it processes. It comes back with an error message saying:

"Communication Failure: Axe-Edit was unable to complete the communication due to time-out."

I then can't click on the preset selection buttons or the preset name bar. I look at my AxeFX II and the patch name changed just fine though, and nothing seems to be wrong? I closed Axe-Edit and tried again and same error, but it also changed the name just fine. Just now I tried this same method a third time and right when opening Axe-Edit I get the same error message and it won't display my patch in Axe-Edit at all, despite it saying "Connected". Then if I scroll to another preset (on my AxeFX II, not in Axe-Edit) the whole patch layout shows up just fine in Axe-Edit and there's no more issue with it displaying. I'm using firmware 11.00.

EDIT: Just tried saving a few more names, two worked without issue, third one got the same error message.

Last edited by a moderator:
same problem here, much more frequent when a daw is open and is being actively used together with ae3.

Same thing here man, this issue is really irritating to say the least... doing a system clean helps for a bit and it'll work for some days but then at some point the time out error will inevitably occur, at least on my system.
Tried running program as administrator, changing usb cable, deleting the settings file but nothing really works...

Are you all running on Mac's ?
Have not experienced this on Win7x64, XP32, or WIn8..

Nope, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 here :/
What other USB and/or midi devices are you running on ur Win7 box?
Are you connecting via a USB hub or external device?
Are you connected via a USB 3.0 port? There are no std MS USB3 drivers, so whether it works over SUB3 can be very hit-or-miss, and intermittent.
SP's and or fix packs up to date?

As one of the testers than pounds Win7x64 for FAS (I have the Ultimate ver too), I have not observed the issues some have reported with it. It's very difficult to report something is a "bug" - in spite of the users frustration - if it can't be replicated on a [similar] system. One cannot fix what one cannot duplicate... So.. the more details the better...

What other USB and/or midi devices are you running on ur Win7 box?
Are you connecting via a USB hub or external device?
Are you connected via a USB 3.0 port? There are no std MS USB3 drivers, so whether it works over SUB3 can be very hit-or-miss, and intermittent.
SP's and or fix packs up to date?

As one of the testers than pounds Win7x64 for FAS (I have the Ultimate ver too), I have not observed the issues some have reported with it. It's very difficult to report something is a "bug" - in spite of the users frustration - if it can't be replicated on a [similar] system. One cannot fix what one cannot duplicate... So.. the more details the better...

I had written a super long post with my computer's specs, all I tried to solve the issue and whatnot... apparently though during my tests when I swapped the usb cable with another one I guess there was a mixup: since this other cable looks now identical to the one connecting my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 to the pc and since my computer has both usb 2.0 and 3.0 I had basically the Axe II plugged into the 3.0 port and the focusrite in the 2.0 one while I was 100% sure it was the other way round, hence why I ruled out any kind of usb issue.
After reading your answer I decided to double check: I was gobsmacked when I found out nothing was like I expected to find D:
After deleting the previous wall of text I had written and sorting my connections out I uninstalled everything Fractal related (axe drivers, axe edit and fractal bot), rebooted and re-installed everything once more.
Well, now I have been playing for a bit, changing parameters and stuff and it seems like all is working fine - hopefully I won't incur in this issue anymore *fingers crossed*
Thanks for your help!

[SUB][/SUB]
I'm having this same problem.

same issue here. macpro 2009 with mountain lion 10.8

just bought the axefx2 and the axeedit 3.0 is not working. timeout error for anything. then i try to go to settings or any menu and its greyed out.
tried removing all prefs, and files associated wih the app and re installign but same thing. latest firmware etc.

heck, i even installed it on my macbook pro 2011 with osx10.8 and same issue.

changed usb ports, usb cable and different computers. so of course i thought it was a defective axefx2 but then i installed earlier versions (beta 1.09) and it (kinda) worked. the axe edit was comunicating with the axefx2 and swithing patches... but only from bank A. when i changed to different banks the names didnt updated in the axe edit.

whats more frustrating is that my buddy has a similar system and using axefx edit 3 and has no problems whatsoever.

not sure if i should return the unit or what... very frustrating.. but the few patches i tried , it sounded amazing.

Bump. New Axe 2 owner. Win Vista. Seeing this also. Rebooting AxeFX and AE several times fixes it but it can sometimes take four or five tries. I really do not want to power cycle my AF2 repeatedly just to use the software editor. The cable, etc, are all good, and it going directly into the USB port of the PC. The problem is most probably the driver or the Axe firmware, IMHO, so I am thinking it is on the Fractal side. Esp, since both Mac and PC users are both getting this (based on the other threads I am seeing in this forum all saying basically the same thing). VERY frustrated right now.

To All,

I am running the Windows 7 x64 and have had the 'Time Out Error' problem with frustrating regularity since updating the USB driver to 168. I have since rolled it back to 167 and found that the time out issue has gone away. I might suggest trying that.

Cheers, Mike

Brand new user here. Just received my Axe Fx 2 Monday. Love the presets to death, but I am ready to start creating my own. I am having the timed out issue as well.

MacBook Pro 2GHz Intel Core i7
OSX 10.8.5

Same problem here. Latest USB driver (Aug-2013), latest Axe-Edit v3 (Oct-10-2013), Win7 x64. I wish I kept the previous version of Axe-Edit...

Back
Top Bottom