AX8 V8.02 Public Beta

Hmmm.....

I think, I agree that this firmware is very bright to the point of being obnoxious. Every amp I try feels piercing - with my trusty old PRS that doesn't have overly bright pickups.

One caveat though - I just installed some new acoustic treatment to my room, so that might change the balance a bit, but it should not be like that.

EDIT: It might be the room. It didn't sound overly bright in my headphones (through audio interface)

Last edited:
Completely disagree with the comments that this firmware has made the amps overly bright. Granted, I have gone through some of my more recent presets and turned off the presence. A quick read of the release notes and I knew I'd have to do some tweaking of the high end.

I messed around with a few amps today and created a couple of new presets. The amps are the best sounding and responsive of any firmware to date. I'm not tweaking near as much, just some eq and motor drive.

A while back the cab block was changed to default at 10,000k instead of 20,000 which made me lose a little top end. Because I keep mine at 16,000, I have to change my cab block when I make a new preset. I know alot of you keep yours lower than me but it could be messing with some people's highs maybe? Maybe not.

It's usually an adjustment that was made because of something with the previous firmware that winds up being the culprit. First thing I do with a new firmware is load a blank preset and try a couple of amps I'm familiar with to see what they sound like. Makes more sense than chasing my tail wondering what happened to all of my presets.

Hmmm.....

I think, I agree that this firmware is very bright to the point of being obnoxious. Every amp I try feels piercing - with my trusty old PRS that doesn't have overly bright pickups.

One caveat though - I just installed some new acoustic treatment to my room, so that might change the balance a bit, but it should not be like that.

EDIT: It might be the room. It didn't sound overly bright in my headphones (through audio interface)

After my trial with the WRONG guitar , I was less confident in my opinion. I found the update less bright with my regular guitar , but I'm not sure what to think. Audio can play tricks on you sometimes.
Ive been behind a mixer and adjusted EQ on a strip before , and thought I made a change , then realized I was adjusting a different channel before too. ( Anyone else do this lol )
I'm curious to hear more opinions. 8.0 is still on standby.
When I went from 7.02 to 8.0 , it was like awwwwww...... ( Complete with angels singing )
8.2..... not sure. Keep posting. BTW , with acoustic treatment , ( in my experience ) things don't generally get brighter )

Ive been behind a mixer and adjusted EQ on a strip before , and thought I made a change , then realized I was adjusting a different channel before too. ( Anyone else do this lol )
Yes. ;)

I'm curious to hear more opinions. 8.0 is still on standby.
When I went from 7.02 to 8.0 , it was like awwwwww...... ( Complete with angels singing )
8.2..... not sure.
To my ears. 8.02 has a really nice low-to-high balance.

BTW , with acoustic treatment , ( in my experience ) things don't generally get brighter )
No, but low-frequency room resonances get reduced,and that can take a lot of low end out of what you hear, which can make it sound brighter.

Yes. It is most likely that there will be new amps in future updates. Only Fractal knows which ones are in the pipeline, and they usually don't disclose these things prior to release.

I don´t have enough english knowledge to say how much I thank you, love you FAS people!!!!
No te preocupes por lo del ingles, un simple gracias es bien apreciado aquí...cualquier duda o consejo que te pueda dar aquí me tienes, hablo perfectamente el ingles y el español e italiano, solo escribe un PM y te contesto. Saludos...

Could the difference in high end between 8.00b and 8.02b be adjusted globally in the geq?

After FW 8 was published - Can we expect a revised factory preset bank A for the AX8 like the one for the Axe FX?

After updating, I had to do a few volume tweaks to my go-to presets. Easy-Peazy.

I am really liking the new cabs. Especially #189, the creamback mix. It's the cat's ass. I tweaked two of my go-to presets with the new cabs. I am using the creamback mix with my 100w Plexi preset, and using the new blues with my AC30-TB preset. Sweet!

Soooo, I have a bit of a confession - I just found out that I had changed the output setting of my audio interface (has nothing to do with AX8), and I was actually clipping the output of the interface - so that may have something to do with my initial dislike of 8.02.

I still think, it's a bit brighter, but that might just make it cut better. I kind of looking forward to the once-over, I am giving all my presets. There should be good sounds in my future.

I tried the EC amp with the IR that Justin York supplied for free - Turn it up to 10 (or 12, it is a Fender afterall), and you can cover a lot of ground with pickup choice, volume and tone. It also works well with the the 2x12 Blue (cel) IR - But then the whole thing turns into a completely different beast.

Back
Top Bottom