AX8 V3.50 Released

J

joe rogers

Now available for your immediate consumption, AX8 V3.50. Many cool features, include the "USA IIC++" amp model recently added to Quantum V3.03. Here's the link:

[EDIT: 4PM EST June 15 2016 - LINK TEMPORARILY REMOVED WHILE WE'RE INVESTIGATING A POSSIBLE BUG]
Stand by for updates. If you've installed 3.50 and have any trouble saving SETUP parameters, please downgrade to 3.04, available at http://www.fractalaudio.com

Also, AX8-Edit V1.3.1 is also release in support of V3.50:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/ax8-edit-software-editor.php

And, here are the release Note:

AX8 V3.50 introduces some cool new features as well as a couple of bug fixes.

Additions
· Added the new “USA IIC++” amp model from the AxeFx Quantum V3.03

· Added new “Control Switch Blocks” CS1 and CS2 – NOTE: see instructions below

· Added new GLOBAL and PER-PRESET momentary switches – NOTE: see instructions below

· Added the BANK LIMIT feature – NOTE: see instructions below

· Modified the global parameter “DEFAULT SCENE” with the addition of “CURRENT SCENE”.
This allows the user to keep the current active scene when changing presets.

· Pressing the <EXIT> button on the VU tab now returns the AX8 to the FS tab

Fixes
· Fixed unwanted distortion in 65 BASSGUY, DWEEZIL B-MAN, DIZZY V4 SLVR 2, & DIZZY V4 SLVR 4 amp models (since v3.04).

· Adjusting the top panel LED-Ring amp knobs now properly notifies AX8-Edit.

· The AX8 now properly handles MIDI “Running Status” messages, allowing control by 3rd party products (e.g. Roland FC-200).

· Fixed a bug that was affecting controllers attached to the RUN, HALF, and REVERSE parameters of the LOOPER.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:

GLOBAL and PER-PRESET Momentary Footswitches
Momentary switches do not “latch” when you step on them. They activate while your foot is down on the switch, and deactivate when you lift it up. Any of the numbered footswitches of the AX8 may now be designated as MOMENTARY.
This can be done either GLOBALLY, or PER-PRESET.

If a momentary footswitch is used to BYPASS/ENGAGE effects, the effect state will be reversed by the action of the switch.
A block that is saved as ENABLED will by momentarily bypassed. A block that is saved as BYPASSED will by momentarily enabled. The same is true for a momentary footswitch assigned to SCENE 1/2 Toggle: depending on whether Scene 1 or Scene 2 is selected, the switch will momentarily toggle to the other.

1. To Set Up a Global Momentary Switch

a. Navigate to the GLOBAL FOOTSWITCH (“GBL FS”) page of the GLOBAL menu under SETUP.

b. Set each switch as desired to one of the following options:

i. PER-PRESET

ii. GLOBAL LATCHING (This is equivalent to the “GLOBAL” setting from older firmware versions).

iii. GLOBAL MOMENTARY

2. To Set Up a Per-Preset Momentary Switch

a. First, call up the preset you want to edit footswitches for.

b. From the main FOOTSWITCH (“FS”) page of the AX8, page right to the CONFIG page.

c. Select the new FOOTSWITCH MODE (“FS MODE”) option and press <ENTER>

d. Set Each footswitch as desired:

i. LATCHING

ii. MOMENTARY

e. Save the preset! (STORE -> ENTER -> ENTER

NOTE: The settings on the FS MODE page have no effect for a footswitch if it is set to one of the GLOBAL options on the GBL FS page!

Controller Footswitch Blocks CS1 and CS2
The AX8 now has the ability for footswitches 1-8 to operate as “Control Switches”.
Control Switch 1 and Control Switch 2 now appear in the list of SOURCES on every MODIFIER page.

Using this feature, for example, you can create a BOOST footswitch (Volume Modifier) a WHAMMY effect (Pitch Block: Control Modifier) or a single footswitch that toggles two or more effects on or off in unison (BYPASS MODE modifiers).

CONTROL SWITCH 1 and 2 are footswitch blocks that can be assigned Globally or Per-Preset like any other Footswitch Block from the main Footswitch (“FS”) page. Use NAV to select the desired location and turn “A” to step through the list of available footswitch assignments.

To Set Up a Control Switch Footswitch:

1. On the Footswitch (“FS”) page of the AX8, use NAV and A knobs to assign CS1 or CS2 to footswitch 1 – 8

2. Add a modifier to the desired parameter, setting “CTRL SW1” or "CTRL SW2” as the SOURCE.

3. Adjust the modifier to work as desired.

Now, when you step on the footswitch, the modifier will change the value of the assigned parameter.

NOTE: Coupled with the new “Momentary Footswitch” options, Control Switches are quite powerful!

The initial value of each Control Switch is saved per scene. The initial values are set on the new Control Switches (“CTRL SW”) page of the CONTROLLERS area of the CONFIG page.

To Set Initial Values for a Control Switch:

1. From the main FOOTSWITCH (“FS”) page of the AX8, page right to the CONFIG page.

2. Select the CONTROLLERS option and press <ENTER>

3. Page to the CONTROL SWITCH (“CTRL SW”) page.

4. Set the initial value of each switch for each scene to either “ON” or “OFF”.

Bank Limit
Bank Limit is a new feature designed to prevent “oops” when stepping up or down through banks during a live performance.

It limits the available banks you can access through the footswitches with an UPPER and LOWER limit. For example, you could limit your AX8 to footswitch access to banks 1 through 4 for one gig, and banks 12 and 13 for another. Bank Limit is enabled through the global menu, and adds three new parameters to the GLOBAL SETTINGS menu.

To set up Bank Limit:

1. Navigate to the SETTINGS page of the GLOBAL menu under SETUP.

2. Set BANK LIMIT as desired: “NO”, “WRAP”, & “NO WRAP”

a. NO – Banks are NOT limited. Lower and Upper limit settings are IGNORED.

b. WRAP – Banks ARE limited and will wrap around from the highest back to the lowest (or vice versa).

c. NO WRAP – Banks ARE limited and will NOT wrap.

3. Set BANK LOWER LIMIT: 1 – 64 as desired. Cannot be higher than the UPPER limit.

4. Set BANK UPPER LIMIT: 1 – 64 as desired. Cannot be lower than the lower limit.

This feature has no effect on AX8 Edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for listening to our requests for controller switch functionality. That was the biggest thing I was missing from my Axe/MFC set up. You guys are great.

EDITED to add: Thanks also for posting firmware updates in the "News" forum. I subscribe to that forum, so I get emails each time a new post is made in that forum. That way I get notified as soon as new firmware is released. No need to spend hours pressing F5. :)

Last edited:
Momentary and Controller switches!! Psyched for this. Hope I have time to set these up before practice tonight :)

Dammmmmit. I'm in Europe for the month (sight/beer/food tour, not a music tour) and haven't been feeling Fractal withdrawals until this very moment.

Just out of curiousity - why 3.5.0 and not 3.05?

Most likely because this update contains more than just bug fixes and a new amp. There is enough new functionality (momentary switches, controller switches, bank limit) to warrant a more significant version number upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom