AX8 Not Showing Up As A Sound Device??

Spoons

Inspired
My Axe-Fx II is identified as Line (Axe-Fx II Audio) device in Sonar X3 Producer but I can't find the AX8 in the audio devices anywhere on my computer. The AX8 is definitely communicating with the computer, I use AX8-Edit routinely.

What have I missed? Can someone help?

P.S. I'm using Sonar X3 Producer.

the AX8 does not have USB Audio. the USB is for MIDI-over-USB communication for updates, AX8-Edit, and similar.

I didn't realize that. Total bummer.

So there's no method of direct recording using the AX8?
if by "direct recording" you mean using the AX8 as a USB interface to a computer, then no, since it doesn't have an interface built-in.

the AX8 does not have USB Audio. the USB is for MIDI-over-USB communication for updates, AX8-Edit, and similar.

I just found that in the manual. I guess I should have read every word of the manual and not made assumptions. I guess I'm forced to run it through my Axe-Fx II or just move patches over to record there. :(

i think if anyone is making "somewhat serious" recordings, an audio interface is par for the course. even something around $100 has a utility in the process vs the axe built-in, like using a microphone, or just simply the separation of input and output/playback. of course make sure it has the features you need.

it's interesting to see home studios these days that don't have an interface at all. that's typically how it begins when making a studio, even something small.

Chris,
Since I can't go direct from the AX8 digitally I've just chosen to go analog through my sound board to the computer which works good enough for the comparison purposes I'm usually needing. If I absolutely need to go digitally, I'll either just wire it in to my Axe-Fx II or transfer the patches over to that unit.

Chris,
Since I can't go direct from the AX8 digitally I've just chosen to go analog through my sound board to the computer which works good enough for the comparison purposes I'm usually needing. If I absolutely need to go digitally, I'll either just wire it in to my Axe-Fx II or transfer the patches over to that unit.
cool :D i've not personally "needed" to go digital for recordings i've done. analog always and it's sounded just like an analog mic'd guitar. but different people have different needs and that's fine!

It does have SPDIF out for digital and works great into a Focusrite 6i6 for example. Single cable for stereo as well.

I just found that in the manual. I guess I should have read every word of the manual and not made assumptions. I guess I'm forced to run it through my Axe-Fx II or just move patches over to record there. :(

Wait, you can run the AX8 through the axe fx and use the axe as an interface? How so?

Wait, you can run the AX8 through the axe fx and use the axe as an interface? How so?
Use the inputs with no blocks and send the USB signal to the computer. It’s like the AX8 signal is the guitar signal. Nothing too crazy going on here, just audio pass through.

Use the inputs with no blocks and send the USB signal to the computer. It’s like the AX8 signal is the guitar signal. Nothing too crazy going on here, just audio pass through.

So just run an xlr out from the AX8 to the XLR input of the axe fx, and then route the USB to the computer?

Buy an audio interface for $150 bucks from scarlett. Problem solved.

Use the xlr or spdif

I choose xlr, to my ears, pro results.

some months ago i bought this card ESI Audiotechnik U24XL because i want to use SPDIF i had too many issues with that audio card,so i get the Focusrite 6i6 and is working like a charm,im using SPDIF but later im going to try the Analog inputs.

Late reply, but if anyone cares, it's far too easy to record into a DAW with AX8. Simply rout the XLR outputs from the AX8, I use both left and right, and go in to your audio device XLR front inputs. Make sure to balance your I/O buffers accordingly. Lots are using SPDIF, and that's cool too as long as you have your clock set to 48,000 kHz. I'm using Reaper and everything works quite well. My only problem is that I am using Presonus gear, and they suck. So I will be changing to Focusrite pretty soon.

Back
Top Bottom