Best Audio Interface (that will not color sound) to use with AX8?

hi guys,
I just sold my AXE FX II XL that I bought used at the beginning of this year and now I am waiting for the AX8 (waiting list in Europe :)) )

I am interested in buying an audio interface for home use with the AX8 that it will not color the sound too much.
I saw Misha using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in a video with AXe FX II and had the opportunity to try a friend's Scarlett with my Axe FX.
maybe was just my impression (and his :)) ) but seemed that the preamp was coloring the sound in a noticeable way.
I understand that I should look for an audio interface that has the preamp bypassed for this or going SPDIF from AX8 to the audio interface? is that correct?

is there any other interface between 200- 300 $ that will not color the sound too much - the preamps are bypassed ?
also is it better to use SPDIF for this or the regular line in jack or xlr?

thx a lot :)

In general digital is the preferred connection (lossless), no DA/AD conversion.

Never heard of bypassed preamps in an audio interface, in general an audio interface is a preamp. I have an 18i8 and I can’t say that there’s any mentionable coloration going on.

I run a focusrite Safire pro 24. Can't say if there's any coloration or not...i don't really have anything to compare it to. I guess when I get home later today I can plug my monitors straight into the ax8 and then back into the interface and see if there's any difference... That a fair way to judge?

No, I tried spdif with my pod hd a while back but I could never get the clocks to sync right and gave up. I'm not entirely certain I got the right type of cable. I might try and give it a shot with the ax8 soon, but I only have 12" cables so I would have to put the ax8 back on the desk which I don't like to do.

So far with the ax8 I've only used the front (preamp) inputs. Can't remember if the line in's on the back are any different, I only know that they don't have input level adjustment, just pad for line or instrument.

In general digital is the preferred connection (lossless), no DA/AD conversion.

+1. If you want 100% pure Fractal tone into "the box": go with the SPDIF: that's what it's there for.
I see no reason to unnecessarily covert it to analog, run it through cables that are susceptible to some degree of electrical and RF interference, capacitance, potential grounding and isolation issues: through a preamp that's not needed as the signal is already at line level, and back into digital converters that are not likely to be as good as the AX8s. Even in a high end interface where the specs claim a + or - .2db variation from linearity over the audible frequency range, and some low .00x % of distortion: it amounts to some degree of degradation - So why even do it? - when you can easily get an exact digital transfer through SPDIF.

Analog for analog: amp, FRFR, Monitor, FOH, recording to tape, etc.
Digital for digital recording.

Last edited:
+1. If you want 100% pure Fractal tone into "the box": go with the SPDIF: that's what it's there for.
I see no reason to unnecessarily covert it to analog, run it through cables that are susceptible to some degree of electrical and RF interference, capacitance, potential grounding and isolation issues: through a preamp that's not needed as the signal is already at line level, and back into digital converters that are not likely to be as good as the AX8s. Even in a high end interface where the specs claim a + or - .2db variation from linearity over the audible frequency range, and some low .00x % of distortion: it amounts to some degree of degradation - So why even do it? - when you can easily get an exact digital transfer through SPDIF.

Ignorant follow up question. I just received my AX8 with humbuster cables today and have not even gotten it home yet. For recording I was planning on running from the AX8 1/4 out into my Apogee Duet ins into my Mac into Logic Pro X. How would you run from the AX8 SPDIF output into the Mac to bypass the Apogee Duet?

Ignorant follow up question. I just received my AX8 with humbuster cables today and have not even gotten it home yet. For recording I was planning on running from the AX8 1/4 out into my Apogee Duet ins into my Mac into Logic Pro X. How would you run from the AX8 SPDIF output into the Mac to bypass the Apogee Duet?

The Mac headphone port can serve as an analog headphone output, microphone input (using the Apple EarPods), or SPDIF output. It has auto sensing to determine what to do.

It doesn't do SPDIF input. You need to get an interface with SPDIF input. There are some cheap SPDIF to USB options.

BTW, I'm using the XLR balanced outs into the XLR ins on my Duet, and have the Duet input level set to +4dBu (which bypasses the mic preamps I think). Either way, it sounds great.

The Mac headphone port can serve as an analog headphone output, microphone input (using the Apple EarPods), or SPDIF output. It has auto sensing to determine what to do.

It doesn't do SPDIF input. You need to get an interface with SPDIF input. There are some cheap SPDIF to USB options.

BTW, I'm using the XLR balanced outs into the XLR ins on my Duet, and have the Duet input level set to +4dBu (which bypasses the mic preamps I think). Either way, it sounds great.

Thanks, heading home now to try it out. Will be in touch... I am so excited I will have to let my wife drive me home so I get there safely..... yeehaw.....

thx guys , so SPDIF seems the way to go as I read on internet
though the Scarlett 6i6 is twice the price of the 2i2, from what you are telling me is worth paying it.
now I see some other brands/model in this price range that have SPDIF:
- Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
- Roland UA-55 Quad-Capture
(can't post links as I'm a new forum member :) )
which one do you think would be the best option?
I know Focusrite has a good reputation for home recording/use and pretty up to date drivers for Windows (what I use)

surprisingly can't find any USB 3.0 audio interface at a decent price below 300 $(or euros)

I think all 3 (4) audio interfaces are good choices. I heard a lot of good things about the new Roland interfaces, and they are still trying to break in to this market, so it is my impression that you get slightly more than for the money with Roland right now.

Do google if they still update drivers. I am stuck with an M-Audio/Avid interface where the driver is not updated for Win10, and it gives me a little trouble every day. Unfortunately, this interface has exactly the features I want, and I have found not other interface that could replace it :(

Regarding going SPDIF; all that was said about it being best to avoid multiple AD/DA conversions and preamp is true - In theory at least - I hear no coloration by my interface. I do have an SPDIF input, but I never bothered to try it with Ax8 as that would mean, the Ax8 should be my clock master, and I would have to run everything at 48 kHz. To me, the audio quality gain is not worth the trouble.

thx for reply. but is there any down side for running all at 48 kHz?
or where is the trouble mentioned? :p

thx
I think all 3 (4) audio interfaces are good choices. I heard a lot of good things about the new Roland interfaces, and they are still trying to break in to this market, so it is my impression that you get slightly more than for the money with Roland right now.

Do google if they still update drivers. I am stuck with an M-Audio/Avid interface where the driver is not updated for Win10, and it gives me a little trouble every day. Unfortunately, this interface has exactly the features I want, and I have found not other interface that could replace it :(

Regarding going SPDIF; all that was said about it being best to avoid multiple AD/DA conversions and preamp is true - In theory at least - I hear no coloration by my interface. I do have an SPDIF input, but I never bothered to try it with Ax8 as that would mean, the Ax8 should be my clock master, and I would have to run everything at 48 kHz. To me, the audio quality gain is not worth the trouble.

No real downside to 48k - It is just a limitation. One of the issues my audio interface is giving me, is that it has trouble getting sample rates right - but that is my problem - not general.

Personally, I prefer to record on the more CD friendly 44.1k sample rate.

Ok. Question on the Native Instruments Komplete 6. Can you run SPDIF from Ax8 into it then run the balanced outs to monitors? At the same time can I run my Mac Book into the USB for audio and playback through monitors at the same time? I decided on the Personus Eris E8's. Or can the E8's have more than one input active at the same time? I'm SO new to this! Thx!

Ok. Question on the Native Instruments Komplete 6. Can you run SPDIF from Ax8 into it then run the balanced outs to monitors? At the same time can I run my Mac Book into the USB for audio and playback through monitors at the same time? I decided on the Personus Eris E8's. Or can the E8's have more than one input active at the same time? I'm SO new to this! Thx!

Should work, but I would try to avoid USB-powered interfaces (Native Instruments Komplete 6)

Just want to mention that the 2i2 does not allow stereo monitoring and this problem has been about 90% of the support emails I get directly, regarding recording. I do not suggest the 2i2 for the Axe or AX8.

thx a lot Chris! so the 6i6 would be OK then?
what interface do you use with your AX8?
and do you run it SPDIF to that interface?
thx :)
PS: I decided to buy the AX8 after watching your videos :)) keep up the good work :p
Just want to mention that the 2i2 does not allow stereo monitoring and this problem has been about 90% of the support emails I get directly, regarding recording. I do not suggest the 2i2 for the Axe or AX8.

thx guys , so SPDIF seems the way to go as I read on internet
though the Scarlett 6i6 is twice the price of the 2i2, from what you are telling me is worth paying it.
now I see some other brands/model in this price range that have SPDIF:
- Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
- Roland UA-55 Quad-Capture
(can't post links as I'm a new forum member :) )
which one do you think would be the best option?
I know Focusrite has a good reputation for home recording/use and pretty up to date drivers for Windows (what I use)

surprisingly can't find any USB 3.0 audio interface at a decent price below 300 $(or euros)

I considered all of these, settled with the 6i6. Superb interface, absolutely no worries so far. Digital mixer is a godsend, which gives you very flexible routing options. Didn't get the KA6, because you couldn't directly monitor SPDIF (only outputs 1/2 if I remember correctly).
I stayed away from the Quad Capture for something to do with the headphone and the main out volumes being linked (I think, can't quite recall if that was the exact issue).
I plan to monitor the AX8 directly over SPDIF to the 6i6, and then record to a DAW, for zero latency tracking.

Back
Top Bottom