1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

AX8 - First listen for newbs like me

Discussion in 'AX8 Discussion' started by DavidE, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Gearzilla

Gearzilla
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

How about without headphones? Have you had a chance?

2. RalphNYC

RalphNYC
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

When I had the Axe Fx II I used it through headphones mostly at home and it was AMAZING. Love it through the headphones. (I also listen to a lot of music through headphones which is awesome as well)

Admin M@ likes this.
  3. jefflibby

jefflibby
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

My monitoring is 100% IEM, using the Shure SE535's. Sounds great to me. I also have the SE215's and it's great with those too.

4. ibanezfreak4

ibanezfreak4
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Will just leave that door wide open... Wait a second... ;)

Good post David, I prefer listening to the presets through my Studio Monitors. The "feel" isn't always there, but gain staging/structuring and amp tone is fairly well represented. Cheers

5. Sruli

Sruli
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

As weird as it sounds, I had the same experience. I was very underwhelmed playing through headphones and going through the presets. I have owned an Axe Fx II in the past and something just sounded off. I plan to run it through an interface and then through a monitor on Thursday or Friday and am expecting better results.

6. scottburrow

scottburrow
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I always thought the Headphones on My Axe XL were amazing as well. I prefered using my IEM's into the headphone jack when creating presets. My in ears are 1964's Six drivers so that might have something to do with it.

7. Stratman68

Stratman68
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I have ATM50's and Beyer 770pros. They both sound fine with the AX8....Not sure why people feel the need to make absolutes...If something isn't right for you, soesn't mean it's wrong for everyone. The Beyers do sound "much" better than the ATm50's. And they both sound better using my mixer.
    But nothing beats good studio monitors for me-Definitely a nice representation for me.

vulcan32 likes this.
  8. Stratman68

Stratman68
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

OK that's fine...was just stating my experience. It does not sound "better" thru my headphones because I have owned an axefx already. It sounds OK because it sounds Ok.
    I did end by saying my best experience was Studio monitors. No big deal here really. Just a different opinion.

Not sure why a new user experience will give a "better or equal to" opinion of usage and sound. But hey, that's what makes the world go round-different opinions and views.....

9. jefflibby

jefflibby
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

At home I run into a small mixer and use the mixer's headphone jack. At church we have Avioms that I plug into.
    I should have mentioned that this is with my AxeFX II - I don't have an AX8 (yet!).

10. Stratman68

Stratman68
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Yes David, I understood that....

11. yek

yek
    Expand Collapse

For the record: I use a single set of presets for live playing and playing 'silent' at home through headphones. And have zero issues with that. The tonal characteristics (representation) are the same. Only less 'air' and thump when playing through headphones, of course.

12. #32 Rick, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    Rick

Rick
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I thought about trying the Blu Mo-Fi headphones, as I think the powered cans would make the lower signal sound better. I don't know that, of course, but it seems it would. Sounds pretty decent through my mixing board and monitors.

pima1234 likes this.
  13. FractalAudio

FractalAudio
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Fractal Audio Systems Moderator

The output impedance of the 1/4" outputs is 600 ohms IIRC. This may be too high for some headphones. We always use a small output impedance on our designs to help protect the output devices against improper connections, ESD, etc. The outputs were not really designed to drive headphones, they are designed to drive high-impedance inputs (>10K). Headphones will work but it won't be optimum. For optimum results use a dedicated headphone amp.

14. Fenderbendr

Fenderbendr
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

So it'll sound better when plugging it into a mixer and using the headphone output on there?

15. musicman77

musicman77
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Yes

16. NeoSound

NeoSound
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Is this the way you felt about the Helix also? or was it designed for head phones?

17. Mike Forster

Mike Forster
    Expand Collapse
    New here

Will headphones work by plugging the ax8 into a focusrite 2i2 and the headphones into the 2i2?

18. benvigil

benvigil
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Yes

19. 3dognate

3dognate
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I'll have to get one before I can have an opinion... ahem...

:rolleyes:

20. Sruli

Sruli
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

Just an update here... Tried it through an m audio interface and into GarageBand and it sounded awesome. So, in my experience, I have to agree with David. Listening through the Y cable and straight into headphones is far from the best listening experience and that would be pretty bad way for a first time user to experience their axe fx.