AX8 - First listen for newbs like me

1) If you're new to Fractal amp modeling like me, I strongly suggest that you don't do your first listen through headphones. I tried ATMH-50x cans (brand new) and my Sony MDRV6s from the 80s. I preferred the Sonys, but neither provided a decent listening experience. Hook it up to studio monitors, and FRFR, pa etc...

Using the y adapter from the outputs to my headphones, I have the Out 1 gain up all the way and it's not really loud, but plenty of volume for listening. I just don't think it sounds all that good when I know this thing sounds great.

2) Have the manual with you. If you're not hooked up to AX8 edit, it's not very intuitive to get around. I had to look at the manual to figure out how to switch banks. I understand why the silk screen labels were not included on the final product, but you'll need the guide to know what the function switches do. Fortunately I understood the 8 block screen and the x/y switching because I had an FX8. But you might want to read the manual about those as well. It's simple once you know what does what.

I'm definitely going to need to look at the manual to understand the grid because I don't get it from looking at it in play mode when I go to that page. If that's what I'm looking at...

But the editor makes a lot of sense and seems like it's relative reasonable to navigate.

JUST SKIP THE HEADPHONES!!!!

IME, unless presets are programmed especially for headphones, they're horrible (this is across all modellers). My Axe 2 made me want to kill myself on the rare occasions I used it with headphones :D
-
Austin

When you're using headphones you need to build presets just for them... a little room verb goes a long way.

I think modelers sound great with good headphones from my experience. I use headphones %99 of the time when practicing at home and get great tones with them. It could just be because there's no dedicated headphone out on the ax8 that's making it sound bad to you.

Try hooking it up to small mixer or audio interface and use the headphone out on there. Also, try using the enhance block and some nice room reverb with a good amount of mix.

I think modelers sound great with good headphones from my experience. I use headphones %99 of the time when practicing at home and get great tones with them. It could just be because there's no dedicated headphone out on the ax8 that's making it sound bad to you.

Try hooking it up to small mixer or audio interface and use the headphone out on there.

No, not IME

Also, try using the enhance block and some nice room reverb with a good amount of mix.

Definitely this! Of course settings that sound awesome in headphones might end up sounding crappy live at high volume or through monitors. So it's best to design presets for where you're going to be using them. And I would imagine the AX8 presets were not designed for headphone use :D
-
Austin

I would use a small mixer with headphone output if I used headphones. I don't think headphones is the issue, it's the level coming out from the unit, possibly.

I have a lot of cans, Sennheiser, AKG, Shure (in the higher ranges).
However, when playing a modeler (in my case the Kemper I had but sold to
finance the AX8), I'd always end up using the old KOSS Porta Pro.
Those are fantastic for reference listening and really, for just playing
around with (not mixing mind you), sounds way better than studio cans.

Get some of those (they're dirt cheap), try 'em out, just add a little dephase and room rev/enhancer,
and tell if that doesn't sound like a million bucks (I know I was always blown away but them when using the Kemper).

Not a ton of level, that's for sure. I don't want to add stuff to mask the sound of the amp models.

I think the headphones I used should be adequate. The AX8 just isn't designed for good sound through headphones directly into the outputs.
My point being don't think this is what the AX8 sounds like! Don't even do it when you first get it.

The AX8 sounds fine through headphones, if you use good ones. No problem at all.
A dedicated headphones output would not sound any better.

As a matter of fact some of the stereo effects in particular sound awesome though cans.

Of course guitar through headphones will always sound different than in the room. That's not an AX8-specific issue.

Last edited:
It's just like using in ears.

For me, the IR usually ends up being very different than if I'm using a wedge.

And I almost always lower the overall efx levels when I'm using in ears.

If you are new to the Fractal family you are in that period of time where you are transitioning from sitting in front of your amp messing with pedal and amp settings to changing settings on your computer and listening to the change through headphones etc. It may take a while but it is part of the process and well worth it. Studio headphones work great, but love to hear the Axe through a cranked powered monitor when possible.

I used grado headphones all evening a few days ago making presets. I agree out 1 doesn't drive them very hard but loud enough. Everything sounded ok but when I plugged into the clrs it's a very different experience

Damn UPS!!! This is their fault.

The learning curve is a real thing bro. Question where you testing presets or trying to make your own when you experienced the not so good sound?

I used grado headphones all evening a few days ago making presets. I agree out 1 doesn't drive them very hard but loud enough. Everything sounded ok but when I plugged into the clrs it's a very different experience

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

The point of this thread is for newbs to not judge the AX8 by the sound through headphones. I still think it's good advice.

Back
Top Bottom