AX8 Basics

I was wondering around YouTube last night after working on some new AX8 presets specifically designed for recording.......& ended up on your page Leon.

I’ve always been a fan, but after an intimate evening alone together :eek: ......All I can say is “Thank you” for being SO helpful & gentle!!! :p

My AX8 creates presets have been hit & miss in the past.....So I took a journey into Tube amp mic’ing....Re-Amping & mix placement that was very helpful. Then I got a little into EQ & frequencies that are Guitar friendly/helpful.....& came back full circle to the AX8.

I noticed something last now guy while watching your videos that I would not have picked-up before too. I created some new amp/cab ONLY presets through my studio monitors & told myself “Self....Don’t just stick to what you know and love, like all V30 loaded 4x12’s) & came up with some great sounding combinations. I also had some interesting “Master Volume settings, lower gain setting, no depth in the mix and bass, presence & treble settings” that were much different & sometimes lower than normal.

You zoomed up on one of your videos to show that the input can receive a little bit o Red on the input.....& I cought some extreme settings on your preset too.

Again, my main points are....1) I have had no clue at times to what I was really doing or why....B) I didn’t have the best point of reference....3) Your videos, along with other great guys like Pete Thorn & the local guys on this forum are nothing short of “Priceless” to our Fractal Community.

THANK YOU Mr. T!!!! :cool:

Peace! X

Last edited:
Quick question for Leon or anyone recording w/ SPDIF.......I tried the SPDIF out & get a crackle every 30-seconds or less.....I’m not overdriving the input or outputs from the visual level meters.

Is there something simple that I’m missing here or has any one else “Released the Crackle” using SPDIF?

Thx.....X!!!

Quick question for Leon or anyone recording w/ SPDIF.......I tried the SPDIF out & get a crackle every 30-seconds or less.....I’m not overdriving the input or outputs from the visual level meters.

Is there something simple that I’m missing here or has any one else “Released the Crackle” using SPDIF?

Thx.....X!!!
Not Leon.... However, I was running into a similar problem and double checked to make sure all of my sample rate / block size and all that stuff matched between my Audio Interface and DAW and was still experiencing crackling. It turned out to be a Energy Saving feature in Windows 10 (not sure if you are MAC) which was like a governor or something on the processor. Opened that up and crackling was gone.

Not Leon.... However, I was running into a similar problem and double checked to make sure all of my sample rate / block size and all that stuff matched between my Audio Interface and DAW and was still experiencing crackling. It turned out to be a Energy Saving feature in Windows 10 (not sure if you are MAC) which was like a governor or something on the processor. Opened that up and crackling was gone.
I’m on a Mac, but you’ve been very helpful!

I’m checking everything now & learning about all of this from a different thread. I’ll report back as soon as I fix it......I’m using an “Audiofuse” interface.....& Presonus Studio One....

Thanks again & sorry for de-railing this thread.

X

If anyone has requests or suggestions please chime in, I'd love these to cater to everyone.
Hi Leon I really like your tutorials in general, they are very usefull, even for axe fx 2 users. Not so long ago I made the switch from real cab to FRFR all the way. Especially the one you did on PEQ was a big one for me....it really helped to cut into the mix. If you are looking for idea´s ,I for sure could use a tutorial on how to set up a good lead sound that cuts very well in the mix...gain, delay´s.... just an idea. My problem often is ..stand alone they sound magic;in the mix they a kind of dissapear even when the level 6db higher than the rythm

Hi Leon I really like your tutorials in general, they are very usefull, even for axe fx 2 users. Not so long ago I made the switch from real cab to FRFR all the way. Especially the one you did on PEQ was a big one for me....it really helped to cut into the mix. If you are looking for idea´s ,I for sure could use a tutorial on how to set up a good lead sound that cuts very well in the mix...gain, delay´s.... just an idea. My problem often is ..stand alone they sound magic;in the mix they a kind of dissapear even when the level 6db higher than the rythm

Will do, lead sounds are a big area I want to cover.

If anyone has requests or suggestions please chime in, I'd love these to cater to everyone.
Leon, I would love some lessons on tight and chunky high gain settings and what Ir's you would use for them. I have some great sounds but lately thru my atomic CLR'S I'm getting some funky background flubby noise not sure if it's the room or my CLR'S. It's doesn't seem to be a problem in my studio, just in my rehearsal space. I'm using Yamaha studio monitors in my studio. I haven't watched all your videos so if you've already covered this topic just let me know, thanks!

Leon, I would love some lessons on tight and chunky high gain settings and what Ir's you would use for them. I have some great sounds but lately thru my atomic CLR'S I'm getting some funky background flubby noise not sure if it's the room or my CLR'S. It's doesn't seem to be a problem in my studio, just in my rehearsal space. I'm using Yamaha studio monitors in my studio. I haven't watched all your videos so if you've already covered this topic just let me know, thanks!

I think I know the phenomenon you're talking about, I noticed it at a rehearsal myself recently. I've got a "tight metal tones" video planned but my suggestion (that worked for me) was to tweak the amp block resonant frequency. At the moment I've got it at 85hz for my main Recto patch with low cut at 95dB and it's still chunky but without the weird flub.

Speaking of cabs, here's the latest

Back
Top Bottom