AX-8 Firmware Version 10.00

I apologise if you already know all this, but I hope some of it helps:

I used AustinBuddy's excellent YouTube video for learning how to properly set and balance my presets ).

After a while it just becomes second nature (for me anyway) to have the Vus up on the AX8 when writing presets with Axe-Edit and set the Amp block level to set the overall gain. Different people have slightly different settings, but for me I try to set my general preset level to around 0dB on the Ax8 Vu meter when playing hard, and up to +3dB for scenes/presets for solos and boosts.

As far as final level of the AX8 us concerned, which is global of course and set by the Output knobs on the AX8 facia, some people seem to have gotten hung up on AustinBuddy's comments that these need to be at 100% for unity gain. For me, I take no notice of this and set my final output level to between 70 and 80% because that gives me some room to easily turn up on stage if need be without having to go to my monitors.

Hope this helps

Thank you very much, this will be very valuable. Much appreciated.

Okay.. (moderate) Instrument Input LED clipping is OK. Output clipping is not.

1. Are you using FRFR or traditional guitar Cabs?
  2. Is the power amp modeling on or off?
  3. Cab modeling on or off?
  4. Any offsets in the Global menu?
  5. What is the internal level of the preset(s) per the internal VU meter? (hit the Page> button 4 times)
  6. Are these Factory, Modified Factory, self-made, or commercial presets?
  7. Can you post an example preset?

Thanks Moke for your detailed response. it will take me a little time but I will get back to you to answer all of these questions. Thank you for your help.

No input clipping, it was all output.

Ill get back to you soon as I can

Strange behavior:

I'm using a very simple preset.

-Amp block (Friedman 2018 with Scene Controller 1 attached to Gain).
-Cab
-Delay
-Reverb
-Drive

Every block is on X. Always. Excepting on Scene 6, where the Delay is Y, but switched off, so when I want to use it (only in one song), I go out of Sticky Scene Mode and I turn it on and off with my foot.

The problem is when I go to scene 6, sometimes there is a gap and sometimes there isn't.

Any idea?

Thank you.

OK, this is really doing my head in now. Everything was wonderful pre FW 10.00. I have been having the output clipping issue as posted above since updating to 10.00.

Tonight is the first time Ive had a chance to really sit down with the unit since I posted that issue. I have even re-updated. All of my presets INCLUDING MY FACTORY PRESETS clip badly. The Output red LED is flashing but you dont need it, it sounds horrible. Even on factory presets. I dont understand how this is possible.

OK, this is really doing my head in now. Everything was wonderful pre FW 10.00. I have been having the output clipping issue as posted above since updating to 10.00.

Tonight is the first time Ive had a chance to really sit down with the unit since I posted that issue. I have even re-updated. All of my presets INCLUDING MY FACTORY PRESETS clip badly. The Output red LED is flashing but you dont need it, it sounds horrible. Even on factory presets. I dont understand how this is possible.
Have you checked if your global eq is flat and if your output settings are OK?
And have you checked what Moke suggested?

Okay.. (moderate) Instrument Input LED clipping is OK. Output clipping is not.

1. Are you using FRFR or traditional guitar Cabs?
  2. Is the power amp modeling on or off?
  3. Cab modeling on or off?
  4. Any offsets in the Global menu?
  5. What is the internal level of the preset(s) per the internal VU meter? (hit the Page> button 4 times)
  6. Are these Factory, Modified Factory, self-made, or commercial presets?
  7. Can you post an example preset?

Ok this is killing me. so Im trying to be systematic about trying to fix it. So lets address mokes questions.

1. SPDIF straight into interface into powered yamaha speakers
2. Power Amp modelling is OFF
3. Cab Modelling is ACTIVE
4. No offsets i dont think
5. For example in FACTORY Preset 1987x Jump LM, output levels are +10dB (max)
6. Everything but Factory presets are terrible

Please help

Poweramp modelling should be on, try this first ?
EDIT : ah, you answered at the same time... That was it then, that's what I would suspect !

Last edited:
Wow.....just wow.

Thank you all, particularly Moke. Obviously my Global setting changed and somehow my power amp modelling was witched off, no idea how but I changed that and all is good.

Total mystery but solved thank god
Excellent. Turning off the Power Amp Modeling causes a jump in volume. There is probably some compression going on in the power amp section.

Quick question after reading the preceding posts...

Can loading a preset change parameters that effect other presets?

Thanks

Quick question after reading the preceding posts...

Can loading a preset change parameters that effect other presets?

Thanks
It shouldn't be possible? Updating shouldn't change any Global, I/O, and Utility parameter either? But some people have had settings that were not where they used to be, and swear that they didn't change them?

It shouldn't be possible? Updating shouldn't change any Global, I/O, and Utility parameter either? But some people have had settings that were not where they used to be, and swear that they didn't change them?

I swear that this is the case with me. I have never even been in the global section prior to last night to fix it. Very strange. It genuinely seems to me that the FW update switched it off somehow.

I noticed that some of them seemed to have a hint of reverb in them although I only have that block on when playing at home. Is that what you were noticing?
It was more like a slight muffling of the sound. I used to use the FXL for the piezo in my Parker, but I'm not using that anymore. I don't recall now if I had the cable in, but the difference was noticeable when switching FXL on and off.

I have some presets that were around the FW 8 or so. I have FW 10 now. The presets sound grainy and thin. What is usually the first adjustment made to get them back to sounding good?

I have some presets that were around the FW 8 or so. I have FW 10 now. The presets sound grainy and thin. What is usually the first adjustment made to get them back to sounding good?
Resting the Amp block is usually the first step. Also reading through all of the release notes of every release from where you were, to were you are now, is a good idea too. Other thinks may have changed in between that can affect your presets. Most of the Comp block models went through some changes in gain structure, that caused me some problems.

Back
Top Bottom