Avoiding to learn to edit on the FM9

golfnut

Inspired
So I plan to use a Windows Surface Pro tablet to quickly edit on a gig. I'm gonna look for some kind of holder to attach it to my mic stand. Part of the reason is I'm lazy and are trying to avoid learning how to do it on the unit. As well its better to have it up on the stand infront of me rather than having to bend over.
Is there any other reason that I should learn the interface on the unit? Or is my strategy a good one.

It's not a bad strategy, but it would be helpful to know how to navigate the UI on the FM9, especially if you explore using the Performance Pages. Assigning a few key parameters for different blocks makes adjustments quick and easy. One thing I discovered the more I messed around with the UI, it is more similar to the Edit programs than it first appears.

Personally, when i first got my Axe i intentionally didn't use the editor at all, because i didn't want to be helpless without a computer. Now I'm probably 60/40 editor, and always for certain things it just makes way easier, or even possible, but i don't mind the front panel at all. It's great.

When you gig, knowing where to find the the global settings for outputs (stereo/mono/sum etc) and global eq is obligated in my opinion. Especially when you do gigs with little preparation time.
Having a Surface makes things easy, but it wouldn't be my first time i pick a tablet to find out the battery is empty, or starting up takes forever.

Next, knowing how to edit block settings is not that hard and really handy.

Changing the grid for a preset might be a bit trial and error but you'll get it...

Those are the most needed things i guess.

Using the graphical editor can give you a good conceptual understanding of how everything fits together, and some familiarity. Once you've got that foundation, learning how do to things proficiently on the unit itself is a lot easier.

It's a good strategy... if you're willing to be entirely dependent on having a computer at hand.

Here's a better strategy. Learn the basics of using the front panel. Then you'll never be stuck because you don't have a computer (and the right cable) with you. ;)

I truly believe you will come to regret NOT learning at least the basics of the front panel. Bad idea imho. Understand I use the editor 90% of the time, but I am at home in front of my daw.
But I DO KNOW the basic navigation on the front panel.

Last edited:
I was in the same boat until my USB port quit working. Until I can send it in for repair, I’m stuck with FW7 and editing on the unit. I am quickly becoming proficient at it strictly out of necessity.

I was generally pretty used to navigating the front panel and making changes, but I never made a preset from scratch on the front panel until I had to because I was doing a remote recording session and my mac laptop wouldn’t support FM9 Edit because it was out of date. In the long run, it was one less thing to hook up and I was able to make a fairly elaborate layout and I’m happy I did. Learn it! :)

I was in the same boat until my USB port quit working. Until I can send it in for repair, I’m stuck with FW7 and editing on the unit.
You might not be as stuck as you think... there are good reports on this forum about using a ROLAND UM ONE, for instance (with the FM3 in this case):
Got a Roland UM-One Mark 2. It works out of the box in Windows 11, just need to change the settings in preference(FM3-Edit).Also worked with Fractal-Bot. However upgrading to FM3 Firmware9+ Dynacabs took about 45-50min.It is slow but gets the job done.
I have to say i have zero experience with this.

You might not be as stuck as you think... there are good reports on this forum about using a ROLAND UM ONE, for instance (with the FM3 in this case):

I have to say i have zero experience with this.
Thanks for the heads up on this- I’m definitely going to check this out!

I’d just assign the most critical parameters to performance pages and be done. How much editing will you actually do at a gig and who has time for that? And who wants to be that guy? I think the only thing I’ve touched at a gig was the output level, and that’s a knob.

I’d just assign the most critical parameters to performance pages and be done. How much editing will you actually do at a gig and who has time for that? And who wants to be that guy? I think the only thing I’ve touched at a gig was the output level, and that’s a knob.

The only thing I could ever see doing at a gig is some minor volume level adjustment. As for some slight eq adjustments, I can do that on my FR12 if needed.

I also spent some time when I first got the unit learning the front panel controls and I'm glad I did. It would be helpful for you to know how to make quick adjustments to the blocks and move them around the grid using the TOOLS view, even for fine-tuning things at practice.

Also a couple of really handy surprises - double-pressing knob A or C from the home screen takes you to AMP 1 and CAB 1 respectively. I've forgotten what the other knobs do when double pressed but this is really sweet.

Learn the tools.

There should be no reason to tweak the gig, however. Pre-production planning and programming should address every aspect before you get there—just plug in, set the gain on the board input, and go.

Back
Top Bottom