Avoiding to learn to edit on the FM9

I also spent some time when I first got the unit learning the front panel controls and I'm glad I did. It would be helpful for you to know how to make quick adjustments to the blocks and move them around the grid using the TOOLS view, even for fine-tuning things at practice.

Also a couple of really handy surprises - double-pressing knob A or C from the home screen takes you to AMP 1 and CAB 1 respectively. I've forgotten what the other knobs do when double pressed but this is really sweet.
Double-pressing B takes you to DRIVE 1 (I remember it as BOOST), D to DELAY 1.

Helpfully, it works out to be:
A - Amp
B - Drive (Boost)
C - Cab
D - Delay

I suppose I will eventually learn the UI on the unit. But I can't see a down side of using a tablet on a tablet holder attached to a mic stand. I'd have the editor right there in my face and not have to bend down to make on the fly edits. I'd have the power supply plugged in to the surface pro so wouldn't have to worry about the battery dying. I can see where it would solve 1 major problem for me. The first time I gigged with this was outside. I do a fair amount of outside gigs. Because it was sunny I could not see the UI or scribble strips very well. With the tablet up close that issue should go away.

Was at a recent gig and needed to make some changes and realized I needed better skills to quickly do so... in the past I have tried to think through most changes prior to the gig and plan for them... this past gig i needed to make some changes via the UI... I have spent some time learning the FM9 UI and not FM Edit...

I agree with @Rex @Scott Peterson @2112 and myself.
You shouldn't be tweaking at every gig. If you're doing it for a couple gigs just to get things dialed in for future gigs, that's one thing. But not every gig.
I've mentioned setting up the Performance pages a couple times In the past. Add the ones you need to tweak the most,.
Personally, I have the global reverb mix and global effects (for delay mix), cab high cut, global EQ high cut, and amp treble/presence in my page and all I really ever adjust is global reverb and/or effects mix. I gig pretty much weekly.
What do you feel you need to have access to "all the time"?

Last edited:
Must be because I previously had a AX8 but imo the FM9 is so easy to edit. The AX8 you had to use the shift button quite often and it makes me really appreciate the FM9’s arrow keys and having two ‘page’ buttons!

If I was gigging I wouldn't rely on any single device for being able to make basic changes to my Presets. What if some audience member gets close enough to knock your tablet to the ground or during transit/load-in/setup a bandmate drops or knocks over something which damages the tablet?

If I were gigging I would definitely want to be able to make basic changes without connecting another device. No need to be able to move/re-connect blocks on the grid etc., but I would want to be able to adjust parameter levels on any block (especially output EQ), add controls to the performance pages and some of the basic I/O setup (e.g. OUT2 -> copy from OUT1).

Back
Top Bottom