• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Atomic CLR Neo MK2 vs Friedman ASM-10?

That’s surprising. I find I don’t need to adjust for low end on the ASC-10. The ASM, yes, but not the 10’s. My presets are the same as they’ve been with just about every speaker I’ve tried.
On my 10 the tweaks are too radical. I play a Les Paul mostly which is a darker sound anyway but I'm adjusting the bass, tone, presence, etc when necessary but all in all it's good. I've played tube amps all my life and just can't handle a wedge. Friedman looks bad and can throw out some sound and yea, 10 is all i need. thx

80sMetalDude

Inspired
I have two Friedman ASM12 and between the Yamaha HS8 and them I find the HS8 more of a satisying sound when at modest levels.

When cranked the ASM12 really come to life. I have yet to test them without the grills that are held on with velcro... I keep meaning to but havent got around to it.... if I find that the grills are the one thing keeping me from truely loving them at all volume ranges then I'll smack myself for not trying it sooner.

I have two Friedman ASM12 and between the Yamaha HS8 and them I find the HS8 more of a satisying sound when at modest levels.

When cranked the ASM12 really come to life. I have yet to test them without the grills that are held on with velcro... I keep meaning to but havent got around to it.... if I find that the grills are the one thing keeping me from truely loving them at all volume ranges then I'll smack myself for not trying it sooner.
That's a good point. Have not played with grills off. Will try it tonite. I'm old school and just can't get past the cab look which is why I haven't bought a wedge or speaker. This Friedman looks awesome and I've got her dialed in pretty well now so feel confident I'll keep it. Play fairly low at home but crank it at rehearsals and gigs and the sound is great. thx for your info. Take care.

PBGas

Inspired
I have an ASM-10 and an ASC-10. They are fantastic. I'm using these regularly at my gigs for my own monitoring. Depending upon the gig, I bring one or the other. Running them in stereo is nothing short of outstanding!

El Mariachi

New here
I have an ASM-10 and an ASC-10. They are fantastic. I'm using these regularly at my gigs for my own monitoring. Depending upon the gig, I bring one or the other. Running them in stereo is nothing short of outstanding!
I'll be using my new ASC-10 live for the first time this weekend! Sounded great at rehearsal. Fingers crossed!

EdgE

Forum Addict
You know I had a qsc10.2 thought it was good at first, always had to much bass and high end . Always tweaking. Got rid of it, almost bought the asc-10 .still on the edge.

Thomas Obester

New here
I´m using the ax8 with either atomica high or friedman 2018 with 2 friedman asm-12´s..tried many amp sims, but those 2 are the best for me, actually like atomica a bit more than friedman 2018..I´m using OH F-Man IR´s V93 + M93 ..pretty much as friedmany as it gets :) Could you please compare using this setup to using your BE-50 deluxe with BE 212 cab ? I´m thinking lately that maybe I should switch to BE-50 with real cab for live shows and rehearsals..my problem with ASM´s is that I have to cut a bass (which I don´t want to do that) otherwise the monitors are clipping when pushed to around 107db.

Last edited:

El Mariachi

New here
To my ears, there's always going to be a gap between modeling/monitors vs. a real tube amp and cab. I have a BE50 and an AX8 that I use either an Atomic CLR or ASC 10 with. The Fractal rig is great, but there's always something very satisfying about the real thing. To me... It's just different tools in the tool box to do different jobs. Both are great.

Thomas Obester

New here
To my ears, there's always going to be a gap between modeling/monitors vs. a real tube amp and cab. I have a BE50 and an AX8 that I use either an Atomic CLR or ASC 10 with. The Fractal rig is great, but there's always something very satisfying about the real thing. To me... It's just different tools in the tool box to do different jobs. Both are great.
I get what you saying..I love my fractal/friedman rig, but there´s always some artificial noise between the notes..even my drummer hears that when palm muting with atomica high (that´s the least noisy amp sim I´ve found). I´ve compared many amp sims based only on background noise that they produce..in other words, try to compare the atomica with bogner uberschall or cameron ccv, their noise within chugga pickin is always present, not with the real amp though..

PBGas

Inspired
I´m using the ax8 with either atomica high or friedman 2018 with 2 friedman asm-12´s..tried many amp sims, but those 2 are the best for me, actually like atomica a bit more than friedman 2018..I´m using OH F-Man IR´s V93 + M93 ..pretty much as friedmany as it gets :) Could you please compare using this setup to using your BE-50 deluxe with BE 212 cab ? I´m thinking lately that maybe I should switch to BE-50 with real cab for live shows and rehearsals..my problem with ASM´s is that I have to cut a bass (which I don´t want to do that) otherwise the monitors are clipping when pushed to around 107db.
The problem with this is that one setup is the raw speaker with amp and the other is a mic'd cabinet tone. I mean, it sounds fantastic either way. The ASC-10 sounds a bit different then the ASM-10 due to the cabinet design. You are not doing anything wrong as I use the bass cut switch on the back as well. I am not using the Friedman FRFRs as my backline because I am running direct. It is my own personal monitor most of the time. Comparing the two, it is very close. If I was to put a mic in front of the Friedman 212 and then compare that with the mic'd tone from the Axe III, it would be darn near impossible to tell them apart. I am partial to the BE-2018 C45 and the HBE-2018 for leads. I haven't even ventured into outside IRs. I really like the Bogner 4x12 cabs with the R121 mics that are in the stock Axe cabinet choices.

Amazing sounding models!

Top Bottom