Atomic CLR Neo MK2 vs Friedman ASM-10?

That’s surprising. I find I don’t need to adjust for low end on the ASC-10. The ASM, yes, but not the 10’s. My presets are the same as they’ve been with just about every speaker I’ve tried.

On my 10 the tweaks are too radical. I play a Les Paul mostly which is a darker sound anyway but I'm adjusting the bass, tone, presence, etc when necessary but all in all it's good. I've played tube amps all my life and just can't handle a wedge. Friedman looks bad and can throw out some sound and yea, 10 is all i need. thx

I have two Friedman ASM12 and between the Yamaha HS8 and them I find the HS8 more of a satisying sound when at modest levels.

When cranked the ASM12 really come to life. I have yet to test them without the grills that are held on with velcro... I keep meaning to but havent got around to it.... if I find that the grills are the one thing keeping me from truely loving them at all volume ranges then I'll smack myself for not trying it sooner.

I have two Friedman ASM12 and between the Yamaha HS8 and them I find the HS8 more of a satisying sound when at modest levels.

When cranked the ASM12 really come to life. I have yet to test them without the grills that are held on with velcro... I keep meaning to but havent got around to it.... if I find that the grills are the one thing keeping me from truely loving them at all volume ranges then I'll smack myself for not trying it sooner.

That's a good point. Have not played with grills off. Will try it tonite. I'm old school and just can't get past the cab look which is why I haven't bought a wedge or speaker. This Friedman looks awesome and I've got her dialed in pretty well now so feel confident I'll keep it. Play fairly low at home but crank it at rehearsals and gigs and the sound is great. thx for your info. Take care.

I have an ASM-10 and an ASC-10. They are fantastic. I'm using these regularly at my gigs for my own monitoring. Depending upon the gig, I bring one or the other. Running them in stereo is nothing short of outstanding!

I have an ASM-10 and an ASC-10. They are fantastic. I'm using these regularly at my gigs for my own monitoring. Depending upon the gig, I bring one or the other. Running them in stereo is nothing short of outstanding!
I'll be using my new ASC-10 live for the first time this weekend! Sounded great at rehearsal. Fingers crossed!

You know I had a qsc10.2 thought it was good at first, always had to much bass and high end . Always tweaking. Got rid of it, almost bought the asc-10 .still on the edge.

To my ears, there's always going to be a gap between modeling/monitors vs. a real tube amp and cab. I have a BE50 and an AX8 that I use either an Atomic CLR or ASC 10 with. The Fractal rig is great, but there's always something very satisfying about the real thing. To me... It's just different tools in the tool box to do different jobs. Both are great.

I´m using the ax8 with either atomica high or friedman 2018 with 2 friedman asm-12´s..tried many amp sims, but those 2 are the best for me, actually like atomica a bit more than friedman 2018..I´m using OH F-Man IR´s V93 + M93 ..pretty much as friedmany as it gets :) Could you please compare using this setup to using your BE-50 deluxe with BE 212 cab ? I´m thinking lately that maybe I should switch to BE-50 with real cab for live shows and rehearsals..my problem with ASM´s is that I have to cut a bass (which I don´t want to do that) otherwise the monitors are clipping when pushed to around 107db.

The problem with this is that one setup is the raw speaker with amp and the other is a mic'd cabinet tone. I mean, it sounds fantastic either way. The ASC-10 sounds a bit different then the ASM-10 due to the cabinet design. You are not doing anything wrong as I use the bass cut switch on the back as well. I am not using the Friedman FRFRs as my backline because I am running direct. It is my own personal monitor most of the time. Comparing the two, it is very close. If I was to put a mic in front of the Friedman 212 and then compare that with the mic'd tone from the Axe III, it would be darn near impossible to tell them apart. I am partial to the BE-2018 C45 and the HBE-2018 for leads. I haven't even ventured into outside IRs. I really like the Bogner 4x12 cabs with the R121 mics that are in the stock Axe cabinet choices.

Amazing sounding models!

Regardless of FRFR choice, one thing should likely be of upmost importance....the one that does not taint the tone much from what you are exposing your audience to running FOH. If an individual tweaks their presets on too much a colored monitor (for example at home studio) and then later runs FOH, it's highly likely an injustice to your end audience. Seems prudent to hear as close to what your end audience will hear, so that's where your consideration in FRFR use for preset setups should likely lie. In my experience if your main FOH gigs typically run QSC PAs (for example), then tweak using the same or very similar at home/studio. It's all subjective of course, but I personally feel the audience is the main priority, period. So listen and tweak presets to what they will be listening to. Just pointing out something that one might consider when making their monitoring choices. Regards.

Regardless of FRFR choice, one thing should likely be of upmost importance....the one that does not taint the tone much from what you are exposing your audience to running FOH. If an individual tweaks their presets on too much a colored monitor (for example at home studio) and then later runs FOH, it's highly likely an injustice to your end audience. Seems prudent to hear as close to what your end audience will hear, so that's where your consideration in FRFR use for preset setups should likely lie. In my experience if your main FOH gigs typically run QSC PAs (for example), then tweak using the same or very similar at home/studio. It's all subjective of course, but I personally feel the audience is the main priority, period. So listen and tweak presets to what they will be listening to. Just pointing out something that one might consider when making their monitoring choices. Regards.

That would be ideal if a guy could make his presets based on the FOH PA. You could have 20 brands of speaker at home, ask the venue what they use, and tweak your presets using the same monitor! Perfect every time. :astonished:

No need to overthink it. Buy a high quality PA such as QSC mentioned. Any venue worth it's salt will have a relatively good quality system that can be a minor EQ tweak at the board. I am in no way suggesting one buys "20 brands of speaker", that's obviously ridiculous.

I had both. I had the ASC-10, which is the traditional cab style. But I also owned the ASM-12 at one point, which is the wedge.
I've sold both at this point. Still have the CLR.

Can I ask why you sold the ASC-10? I just purchased and expect it to work well as "FRFR backline" at gigs in "kind of close to in the room tones" at home.

Can I ask why you sold the ASC-10? I just purchased and expect it to work well as "FRFR backline" at gigs in "kind of close to in the room tones" at home.
My band is going back to live amps going forward. The ASC-10 shined on stage, but sounded way too dark at low/home volumes. The CLR sounds great at low volumes, but lacks the punch the ASC-10 provides at stage volumes. I'm primarily using my FM3/CLR at home for practice and recording. Hope that helps.

My band is going back to live amps going forward. The ASC-10 shined on stage, but sounded way too dark at low/home volumes. The CLR sounds great at low volumes, but lacks the punch the ASC-10 provides at stage volumes. I'm primarily using my FM3/CLR at home for practice and recording. Hope that helps.
My suggestion is to tilt the ASC up at you. Done and fixed!! I was using these live setup like this at several gigs just before Covid hit and they were amazing tilted up. I can put them behind me or in front as my monitors. I added Fender tilt back legs to mine and setup the angle that worked best for me. I set them up this way at home as well.

It's 1000 watts in stereo and it sounds like a cab, so I have no issues being heard anywhere. Easy to carry and take.

IMG_0020 copy.jpeg
IMG_0021 copy.jpeg
IMG_0022 copy.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0022 copy.jpeg
    IMG_0022 copy.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 6
My suggestion is to tilt the ASC up at you. Done and fixed!! I was using these live setup like this at several gigs just before Covid hit and they were amazing tilted up. I can put them behind me or in front as my monitors. I added Fender tilt back legs to mine and setup the angle that worked best for me. I set them up this way at home as well.

It's 1000 watts in stereo and it sounds like a cab, so I have no issues being heard anywhere. Easy to carry and take.
I don't think you got what I was saying in my post. I had NO COMPLAINTS in a live setting. The ASC-10 SHINES in a live situation. It's low volume/at home levels that it sounds way too dark and doesn't work for me. Which is where I'm primarily using my FM3 now.

I'm totally with you. I was using tilted back amp stand with my ASC-10 and it was great LIVE. I'm no longer using the AXE stuff live, so that why the ASC-10 went bye bye.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you though... The FM3 though the ASC-10 is nowhere near the same as a real tube amp and cab combo. It's not bad... It's just NOT the same. 500 watts of solid state doesn't push the same air as my PT20 through a 1x12 let alone a 2x12.

I don't think you got what I was saying in my post. I had NO COMPLAINTS in a live setting. The ASC-10 SHINES in a live situation. It's low volume/at home levels that it sounds way too dark and doesn't work for me. Which is where I'm primarily using my FM3 now.

I'm totally with you. I was using tilted back amp stand with my ASC-10 and it was great LIVE. I'm no longer using the AXE stuff live, so that why the ASC-10 went bye bye.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you though... The FM3 though the ASC-10 is nowhere near the same as a real tube amp and cab combo. It's not bad... It's just NOT the same. 500 watts of solid state doesn't push the same air as my PT20 through a 1x12 let alone a 2x12.

Nothing is like a loud tube amp and 412 cab. Everyone knows that including me. I guess I came across wrong. The 2 cabs together push some decent air. It's not like a 412 but different. I really don't need that because we are running to FOH. I'm used to hearing myself in monitors so the tone I get is what I'm used to.

If I wanted that, I would use a head and cab. No thanks these days. I'm not moving 100 lbs of gear anymore. My back is not what it used to be and I'm not getting any younger. I want a consistent sound so this is why I use what I use.

Mine aren't dark at all at home on a low setting. We all hear things differently, so no worries at all.

All good, enjoy have fun and use what works for you. All the best!

👍 :)

Back
Top Bottom