Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell

I personally love the concept of the Canadian Standoff, where all parties are overly polite! I just found it strange that Matrix announced they were releasing pricing on passive and powered cabinets on 6/1 and here it's almost August. Just had a feeling they're waiting each other out to see how the other will price, initial reception, etc.

Yep. It is called strategic compatitive pricing tactics. It can go on for months.

I think I'll do the same thing as when I was waiting for the MFC to be released.
I was waiting like forever till I found the Gordius.
Thad suited my needs for the right price so I bought it.
And I'm glad I did.
So I think I'll be getting me a pair of RCF's.
I just about had it with manufacturers not being to keep their deadlines.
Besides, IMHO the RCF's will be easier to resell ;)

I think I'll do the same thing as when I was waiting for the MFC to be released.
I was waiting like forever till I found the Gordius.
That's what I did as well. Don't regret it one bit. The LG2 is great and just the right form factor too. Now I have both an mfc and LG2 and don't want to sell either one.
Maybe I should just get an RCF too ;-)

It seems like I'm missing something here. IIRC Tom expected to have first production units late in late June, so he's now three weeks late. Some of the posts make it sound like it has been a year or longer. What gives?

It seems like I'm missing something here. IIRC Tom expected to have first production units late in late June, so he's now three weeks late. Some of the posts make it sound like it has been a year or longer. What gives?

Same as it ever was. :)

They first announced that the product was in development at the end of January, and Jay met up with folks in Dallas to demo a pre-production model. At that point I believe they said 3-4 months for availability. That's slipped. But even if it hadn't, that's a long lead time between announcing and releasing a product. So anticipation builds in ways that are good on one hand, but can also work against you. It especially tends to amplify any delays.

This is an age old marketing debate. Building anticipation can be good. Letting people know that something cool is coming can be good if you're seeing your sales slip to another product (i have absolutely no data to suggest that was happening with Atomic), as they may wait for your new product. But that anticipation can turn into frustration if the gap between announcement and availability is too long, and even more so if it slips.

They first announced that the product was in development at the end of January, and Jay met up with folks in Dallas to demo a pre-production model. At that point I believe they said 3-4 months for availability. That's slipped. But even if it hadn't, that's a long lead time between announcing and releasing a product. So anticipation builds in ways that are good on one hand, but can also work against you. It especially tends to amplify any delays.

This is an age old marketing debate. Building anticipation can be good. Letting people know that something cool is coming can be good if you're seeing your sales slip to another product (i have absolutely no data to suggest that was happening with Atomic), as they may wait for your new product. But that anticipation can turn into frustration if the gap between announcement and availability is too long, and even more so if it slips.

Exactly this ^^

Unfortunately for them both, the RCF NX12SMA got some publicity here from a few respected players at the same time both new speakers failed to show, it sounds great and is a clear improvement over the previous most popular option, and (most of all) was available in quantity at the same time.

I know this is unrelated, but I wanted to buy some Passive FRFR cabs from Atomic back in January before the new developments were made public. They were out of stock and I inquired as to when they would be available. I was told it would be several weeks before they were available. It is nearly August and they still aren't available.

Not trying to bash, just stating the facts. This seems to be a recurring theme.

Having a great invention or product is not the same as business acumen. There is a reason why college dropouts like Zuckerberg, Job and Gates hire armies of MBAs, CPAs and attorneys. The market place loves innovation, but not at the expense of quirkiness in distribution.

Having a great invention or product is not the same as business acumen. There is a reason why college dropouts like Zuckerberg, Job and Gates hire armies of MBAs, CPAs and attorneys. The market place loves innovation, but not at the expense of quirkiness in distribution.

Well, while waiting for Tom to give an upadte on the CLR, I got an email from Matt at Matrix today asking if I wanted to go onto the list for the first batch ... it took about 0.3 seconds to make a decision :)

Already beginning the watching the emails waiting for a tracking number ...

Meanwhile...
What is the difference between a "coincident" speaker and a non-coincident speaker?
Evidently there's a Canadian speaker company called Coincident so any Google search I do just turns up links to their stuff.

The dictionary defines coincident as:
"adjective
occurring together in space or time : liberty is an idea coincident with the spread of Christianity.
• in agreement or harmony : the stake of defense attorneys is not always coincident with that of their clients."

So, what parameters of the new Jaytomic cabs will be occurring together in space and time that do not occur together in other speaker designs?

Meanwhile...
What is the difference between a "coincident" speaker and a non-coincident speaker?
Evidently there's a Canadian speaker company called Coincident so any Google search I do just turns up links to their stuff.

The dictionary defines coincident as:
"adjective
occurring together in space or time : liberty is an idea coincident with the spread of Christianity.
• in agreement or harmony : the stake of defense attorneys is not always coincident with that of their clients."

So, what parameters of the new Jaytomic cabs will be occurring together in space and time that do not occur together in other speaker designs?

As I understand it it is related to the on-axis versus off-axis behavior of the output. It will be far more even off-axis than most other speaker designs.

I am not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV. That's as I understand it.

Back
Top Bottom