Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell

That's a pretty bold claim.. I'm not so sure studio guys will rush out to buy these and dump their Genelecs, Focals, Adams, Dynaudios, etc. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong, but this is a horn-loaded box with a 12" woofer after all.
Yea, but I'd happily drop my KRK setup to offset the cost of a pair of these if they worked well at low volume levels too.

Jay told me something like this:
~The whole idea that an FRFR live sound reinforcement cabinet can't perform as accurately as a studio monitor is bunk. They are the same darn thing, or should be if they are designed properly. One can be turned up louder than the other.

Something like that. It was a long time ago. Ask him on TGP.

so would these be able to compete with a real 4x12 blasting away?
Once again, this is something Jay laid out for me a long time ago. Ask him on The Gear Page.

One CLR "pushes more air" or whatever you like to call it than a 4x12 guitar cabinet. This seems counter-intuitive when we look at a 4x12 next to something like the CLR. But that's the way of physics. People without a fluid understanding of physics always think that what looks obvious to them and seems reasonable must then be right. The kicker is that the right answer, if provided, doesn't do any good to the person who isn't grounded in at least the fundamentals of physics.

(below has nothing to do with member rsf1977
I just feel like typing it.)

Also, in the case of a musician, we think we listen with our physical ears while we are actually listening with our entire organism. The observer colors, shapes and changes the observed. Sometimes my physics brain gels with my musician brain. Sometimes I just feel like I'm going nuts.

Said another way:
An uniformed opinion, or an opinion born out of ignorance, is worse than no opinion at all. My music brain always wants to blather out with flights of uninformed fancy.

Said another way:
When Jay and I talk about loudspeakers, or any sonic phenomena I pretty much listen and accept that I am a musician that's just never gonna' "get it" in an intuitive physics way.

Then I can be at peace and say, "Wow, this CLR sounds amazing and I'm content."

Two good forum habits:
1) I try not to speculate beyond my available data. It's a challenge every day but I try. If I'm not sure about something I ask a question rather than blathering about what I think I know.
2) I will not engage in an argument if I am largely ignorant of the topic. Argument for arguments sake is a waste of precious life-time. Arguing from flights of ignorant fancy or unsupportable opinion is unhealthy and useless for learning.

All the above said another way?
I shouldn't post ANYTHING coming off of a sleepless night.

Last edited:
I'm definitely interested in these speakers.

I caught the tail end of Jay's presence on this forum. From what I did catch he was a brilliant, insulting, gentleman.... lol. Hopefully he returns to the forum when his product hits the market, as I'm sure plenty of you guys here will be using it!!

Two good forum habits:
1) I try not to speculate beyond my available data. It's a challenge every day but I try. If I'm not sure about something I ask a question rather than blathering about what I think I know.
2) I will not engage in an argument if I am largely ignorant of the topic. Argument for arguments sake is a waste of precious life-time. Arguing from flights of ignorant fancy or unsupportable opinion is unhealthy and useless for learning.

Though I might change (1) to read: Be aware of (and honest about) when you're drawing conclusions from available data, and when you're just speculating. Speculation can be fun! :)

On the topic of "reference" systems: anyone know how they sound a low volume? Like mixing/mastering volumes? See where I'm going with this... :)
They sound GREAT at low volumes. The only difference I could tell when Jay turned them up was they got a heck of a lot louder.. but just as clear/clean/distinct.

And yes, I was there - standing right behind Chris (xrist04) when he started shooting that vid on his iPad.

Last edited:
s0c9 said:
They sound GREAT at low volumes. The only difference I could tell when Jay turned them up was they got a heck of a lot louder.. but just as clear/clean/distinct.

And yes, I was there - standing right behind Chris (xrist04) when he started shooting that vid on his iPad.

My interest level has been suddenly amplified a large amount.

Speculation can be fun! :)
Speculation tickles certain useful pleasure centers because it masquerades as creative/intuitive curiosity.

Speculation is mental jerking off (fun in limited doses but ultimately hollow, lonely and useless).

Creative/intuitive curiosity with mindful informed direction is mind sex with the infinite.

Speculation tickles certain useful pleasure centers because it masquerades as creative/intuitive curiosity.
Speculation is mental jerking off (fun in limited doses but ultimately hollow, lonely and useless).
Creative/intuitive curiosity with mindful informed direction is mind sex with the infinite.
But creative/intuitive curiosity without speculation is just rehashing the old. :)

Where would we be if Newton or Galileo had dismissed speculation?

+/- 2db is pretty darn flat and coax too. gotta come up with some cash soon. Sorry, I speculate that I will need some cash soon.

Last edited:
But creative/intuitive curiosity without speculation is just rehashing the old. :)
Where would we be if Newton or Galileo had dismissed speculation?
Let's check in with Websters dictionary:

creative
1 marked by the ability or power to create
2 having the quality of something created rather than imitated

intuition
1 quick and ready insight
2 the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without EVIDENT rational thought and inference

curiosity
1 desire to know

speculation
1 to take to be true on the basis of insufficient evidence
2 to review something idly or casually and often inconclusively
3 to meditate on or ponder a subject

Test:
A desire to know, marked with the ability/power to create and quick and ready insight would seem to get the job done with the third definition of speculation (meditation and pondering) in a supporting role.

I don't think speculation stands on its own. It then becomes definitions 1 and 2.

I don't think speculation stands on its own. It then becomes definitions 1 and 2.
+1. Though the online version of Websters lists #3 as the #1 in the definition of speculate.

As fun as this discussion is, I've already done more thread hijacking than I'm comfortable with. Offline?

I presume that this can't somehow avoid the Fletcher-Munson effect though?

Back
Top Bottom