Atomic Amps - "Coincident Linear Reference" Designed by Jay Mitchell

I'm trying to reconcile the very cool relaxed Jay in that video with the online poster Jay who suffers no fools! :)

With that aside, I propose that you send a large shipment of those to Australia as we like to beat our gear around and are therefore great testers!

That new speaker sounds very interesting :)

Now just to be clear, regarding the power requirements, will power amps such as ART SLA-2 and the Matrix GT800FX be enough to drive 1 or 2 of these passive cabs or will they lack the power required to drive them properly?

Last edited:
I'm trying to reconcile the very cool relaxed Jay in that video with the online poster Jay who suffers no fools! :)

same here.. i guess it's comes down to message boards not conveying emotion, and being somewhat anonymous. I would have bet money and lost that that was Jay Mitchell. Seems like a good guy.

Jay seems like a nice guy in the real world. Now I really can't wait to hear one. Thanks to everyone for sharing info.

That new speaker sounds very interested :)

Now just to be clear regarding the power requirements, will power amps such as ART SLA-2 and the Matrix GT800FX will be enough to drive 1 or 2 of these passive cabs or will they lack the power required to drive them properly?

I believe the Art at least was mentioned by Jay as something less than desirable. I heard no mention about the Matrix.

With that aside, I propose that you send a large shipment of those to Australia as we like to beat our gear around and are therefore great testers!

I can see it. The same critiques of inferior minded audio fools are there, just now you associate his playful tone of voice with it. He reminds me of a guy I worked with before, one of the sharpest guys I've come across in my life.

We did a quick A/B comparison between the passive Atomic CLR (with a 250W SS amp) and a QSC K10 on the floor in monitor position. The K10 was in "flat" mode (HF) and "norm" mode (LF). There is an immediate and audible difference between the Atomic CLR and the K10, using the same program material (Jay's 70s(?) Strat through an Axe-Fx Standard). I'm not going to use words like "open" or "transparent," because I think they can mean different things to different people. But to my ears, there is definitely a difference, and in my opinion it's for the better.

I say this as the owner (and live-performance user) of a pair of K10s.

Also, I was wrong on one of my predictions - that the CLR would have a smaller LF driver, maybe 8".

It's a 12" driver, and it's not a ready-made "coaxial" unit, like the B&C or RCF units. Both the LF driver and the HF driver are separate, and they are integrated into the shallow horn-loaded enclosure using a custom-design metal framework that suspends the HF driver (and its biradial(?) horn lens) over the voice-coil of the LF driver.

Jay took care to explain that the distance between the drivers was carefully chosen, and that this is not some off-the-shelf coaxial speaker that you could buy, for example, at Parts Express. :p

If I heard correctly, it has 90 degrees equal dispersion. Nice. Looks like the solution for me. Can't wait to try it out. I'm trying to decide if a wedge or the cube would be a better selection for me. It should still be good as a backline I presume even for a loud band. I heard it's plenty loud.

Why have a cube design at all? The vid shows the cube balanced on edge leaned against the wall so it points up like the angle of a wedge. Jay even comments that it should be used like that, pointing up at your head instead of at your kneecaps.

Class D power for the actives?

Make that a passive wedge for me then :)

Yeah--the equal dispersion was very evident. We were wandering all across the room listening and it sounded the same until you got pretty far away at an angle.

I kind of wished I had heard it in regular stereo instead of the W/D/W configuration. Also, we never plugged in an Axe-II to the setup. Just Jay's Standard.

But the difference between it and the K-10 was startling. I could see a pair of these on the horizon for me if I decide I need something more powerful than my Adam A7's.

Why have a cube design at all? The vid shows the cube balanced on edge leaned against the wall so it points up like the angle of a wedge. Jay even comments that it should be used like that, pointing up at your head instead of at your kneecaps.

Class D power for the actives?

Make that a passive wedge for me then :)

Because guitarists are traditional creatures and I can see where the 'guitar cabs or death!' guys will buy two of these and stack them because... that's how they've done it and even if they run FRFR, they want it as 'traditional' as possible.

Wedge for me please. :D

This atomic is definitely in the short list for my next purchase of FRFR. I currently play through a pair of QSC HPR 122i monitors and I like them a lot. I'm thinking I might move them far left and right and put one of these Atomics in the center for a WDW setup. The Atomic would give me the dry guitar sound and my QSCs would give me my effects which I think they would do well... Nice thing is if i have a small gig i can just grab the Atomic. Oh the possibilities...

Last edited:
I heard it at the same time as xrist04 today (it was my K10 we used as a comparison) and agree with his post above.

Because guitarists are traditional creatures and I can see where the 'guitar cabs or death!' guys will buy two of these and stack them because... that's how they've done it and even if they run FRFR, they want it as 'traditional' as possible.

Wedge for me please. :D

Scott! Make that grumpy creatures ;) Guitar Cab design for me pretty please :D

Back
Top Bottom