Are these Axe-Fx 2 hardware limitations?

You're basically asking Fractal to cannibalise Axe FX 3 sales. Also when new features come out for the Axe 3 you can guarantee it will all start again with people wanting to get them on the Axe FX 2. I have a Mk1 and have accepted it's the end of the line, we had a very good run!

This place is awesome. If we get an update in any regard for the II...awesome. If not, no problem, because the II is amazing as is. I just think it is cool that Cliff comes to this forum and talks with us about these types of things. I’d love a III someday, but I’ve been given so many incredible updates for the II over the years I have nothing but appreciation.

Reading this thread the only thing that keeps playing in my mind is the seagulls in Finding Nemo all saying "MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE....".

FAS just spent who knows how much time and money developing a new Axe FX. It seems a safe assumption to say this was because they want to make more money and move further on.

They have a forum full of posts from future users telling them exactly which of the new features are going to sell the new units and make them that money.

Why exactly would they go back to a legacy product and port in those features? It would be an absolutely disastrous business move to even suggest it was being considered.

FAS just spent who knows how much time and money developing a new Axe FX. It seems a safe assumption to say this was because they want to make more money and move further on.

They have a forum full of posts from future users telling them exactly which of the new features are going to sell the new units and make them that money.

Why exactly would they go back to a legacy product and port in those features? It would be an absolutely disastrous business move to even suggest it was being considered.

Simple, because FAS is so customer oriented and transparent folks get to feel emboldened and ask for things they never would even think of asking, say Line 6, Roland, Boss, etc.

Great way to collapse that "transparency" . Edit: The way of the World!

Last edited:
My totally uninformed guess is it is mostly a matter of how easy a "port" is. An effect or amp model update might be ported with relatively little resources. UI isn't really portable. From Wikipedia:

"Software is portable when the cost of porting it to a new platform is significantly less than the cost of writing it from scratch. The lower the cost of porting software, relative to its implementation cost, the more portable it is said to be."

I assume that, if something can be quickly and cheaply incorporated into the II, then Cliff will consider it, based solely on his sense of pride in his products and tempered by his sensibilities as a business owner. Bug fixes as well. But I'd never expect major UI or functionality changes.

Last edited:
Simple, because FAS is so customer oriented and transparent folks get to feel emboldened and ask for things they never would even think of asking, say Line 6, Roland, Boss, etc.

Great way to collapse that "transparency" . Edit: The way of the World!

I liked the pre-edit version better... Ha!

I doubt we'd get 500 people to pay that much. The firmware would get pirated instantly.
Not with a pre-funding....I mean not for those who'd fund
You're right. Anyway, any crumbs that would fall from the III table are welcome and of course must it stop one day. For the time being it remains the best unit ever for me until I'll fund for a III, probably somewhere next year. It remains a great adventure.

makes sense to port the new update to AX8 since it's a still active product... updating the Axe FX II doesn't make financial sense for a company.

I know exactly what he's proposing and I'm saying $100 per person is way too low.
Some or maybe all could be ported but, to be frank, it's not going to happen. It doesn't make financial sense to undergo a development effort that large on a product that won't be generating any revenue.
It would be a matter of being the most badass modeler out in the whole world not just a financial matter

makes sense to port the new update to AX8 since it's a still active product
But now that the III is out, how much longer do you think the AX-8?

I would bet it's got less than 6 months.

BTW, I just got an AX-8 for Christmas and I'm ok with something better replacing it soon.

Last edited:
do you understand how a business stays open?
Do you understand I’m not being argumentative in any way or being inconsiderate of busines or trying to offend you or make you feel like you need to come in and protect anything
I’m sorry for any pain I have caused you

Back
Top Bottom